Gamestop Reveals Diablo III: PS3 Edition Pre-Order Bonuses

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Gamestop Reveals Diablo III: PS3 Edition Pre-Order Bonuses

Pre-ordering from Gamestop will net you a double-sided Diablo III poster and an in-game helm that offers a +exp bonus.

Diablo III for PS3 and PS4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122867-See-Diablo-3-In-Action-On-The-PlayStation-3] was one of the biggest surprise announcements in Sony's PS4 reveal event earlier this year. While Blizzard has offered no official word on the game's release date, it hasn't stopped an overzealous Gamestop from putting up a poster detailing pre-order bonuses. If you wish to sell your soul to Gamestop and put your money down before the game's release, you'll be rewarded with a double-sided poster and an in-game helm that gives a bonus to experience earned.

The poster is a nice little bonus, but the in-game helm is definitely something of interest. It will mark the first non-cosmetic "DLC" item for the game, that won't be available inside of the game world. I would assume it will be an account-bound item, similar to the Hellfire Ring introduced in a recent patch, meaning owners won't be able to trade it to other players.

Anyone who plays the game on Hardcore, as well as anyone who is farming paragon levels, will tell you the huge advantage having a high level +exp gem in your helm offers. If this helmet comes in a socketed variety, it's going to give Gamestop pre-orderers a huge advantage.

Also inadvertently revealed with this poster is the slightly reworked box art for the PS3 version of the game. I'll forgive you for not noticing, as it's basically just a close up of the PC version box art [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/73/73235.jpg].

A playable version of the PS3 edition of Diablo III at Penny Arcade Expo revealed that it is quite far along in its development cycle. We know that the game will be playable offline, will not include the controversial Real Money Auction House, and won't offer cross-platform play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122377-No-Cross-Platform-Play-For-Diablo-III] with the PC version.

Given the state of the game and the emergence of this poster, we can probably estimate the PS3 edition of the game will be released before the end of the year. Patch 1.0.8 for the PC version of the game is currently available on the public test realm. [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9425564/public-test-realm-patch-108-notes-updated-418-4-18-2013] It should be out in the coming weeks, and aims to make the multiplayer aspect of the game more attractive.

Source & Image: Diablo Fans [http://www.diablofans.com/news/1728-ps3-preorder-item-infernal-helm-in-gamestop/]

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I thought everyone had moved on with D3 and everything? I guess the console market needs to be screwed for money too. The PS4 bit was interesting. Targeting both systems. I guess it makes sense but I dont know how many people will pay for a new console and an 'old' game.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Welp, I am not really sure how to take this. D3 has a terrible reputation and for good reason. No idea why any ps3/ps4 users would suddenly buy it after all the hubbub but hey, got to grab at all the money you can I guess.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The absence of a Real Money Auction House is the greatest "preorder bonus" the PS versions of the game will feature. I wish the PC version would be similarly blessed...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ehh, Blizzard have lost the ARPG crown ages ago.

ALL HAIL RUNIC AND TORCHLIGHT 2! (at least until Grim Dawn comes out, then we'll see)

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Out of curiosity, I don't suppose they've said if there's local/splitscreen multiplayer?
Because it could be what makes this a purchase or not.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
King of Asgaard said:
Out of curiosity, I don't suppose they've said if there's local/splitscreen multiplayer?
Yes, there will be local multiplayer

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
King of Asgaard said:
Yes, there will be local multiplayer
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. :)

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
I'm actually really excited for this. An unpopular opinion, I suspect, but I always wanted to get Diablo III. The things that put me off were the always online thing, the server issues, and the fact that my PC isn't very good. None of those will be a problem with the PS3, and there's local multiplayer as well, so count me in!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
And the best thing about this game is that there is no Auction House and the game can be played offline. It's the superior version of a PC title on a console. Yes, the world is collapsing.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
FancyNick said:
Welp, I am not really sure how to take this. D3 has a terrible reputation and for good reason. No idea why any ps3/ps4 users would suddenly buy it after all the hubbub but hey, got to grab at all the money you can I guess.
The only two vaguely sensible complaints about Diablo 3 were the always-online DRM and real money auction house. As the article very clearly stated, neither of those exist in the PS3 version, so why on Earth would anyone care that people complained about them? The main problem I see with a PSx version is that you really need to be able to instantly click anywhere on the screen, and I don't see how that could be possible with a controller. It will be interesting to see what they've done to get around this.

Of course, it's also simply not true that Diablo 3 has a terrible reputation in the first place. It's a very successful and highly rated game. Don't make the mistake of thinking some noisy internet whining actually reflects the majority of real world opinions.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
And the best thing about this game is that there is no Auction House and the game can be played offline. It's the superior version of a PC title on a console. Yes, the world is collapsing.
True, and not just that, you can bet that people who bought this on PC will be somewhat angry that just because they got it first, they now have the "bad" version of the game.

I know I do. Losing to Bosses because of lag and getting bombarded with calls to buy said item at the auction house, all while playing in singleplayer rubbed me the wrong way everytime...

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Gray Firion said:
Adam Jensen said:
True, and not just that, you can bet that people who bought this on PC will be somewhat angry that just because they got it first, they now have the "bad" version of the game.

I know I do. Losing to Bosses because of lag and getting bombarded with calls to buy said item at the auction house, all while playing in singleplayer rubs me the wrong way everytime...
The game does have a funny way of punishing it's early birds.

The very first ones couldn't even play due to server issues.
A lot of them couldn't advance far into inferno due to it's initial difficulty.
Playing multi-player usually slowed you down a lot compared to soloing
The MP system/paragon levels was nice, but then future patches gave you dramatically more exp for the same amount of work
Despite being advertised from the start PVP was only just added recently
And the next patch will let you finally id all your items in 1 shot, which I'm sure is great comfort to the players that had to waste countless hours of their time thanks to a year + of IDing them all individually.

I'm sure there's a lot more but hopefully you guys get the point. Now that I think about I'm kinda envious of the PS3 players, they not only get to play offline but they get a more polished product. Guess the lesson here is to not be the first in line for Blizzard stuff.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
So the pc owners who are their biggest supporters and fan's were used as a testing ground at their expense. Horaay blizz!

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
A playable version of the PS3 edition of Diablo III at Blizzcon revealed that it is quite far along in its development cycle.
This needs a correction. Seeing as the PS3 version of Diablo 3 was announced at the PS4 launch and there hasn't been a blizzcon since 2011, I'm positive there was no gameplay footage of the PS3 version at blizzcon (unless of course blizzcon exists outside of time and/or space).

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Is there a pre-order bonus that makes the story not suck, and makes the skill trees actually good? Or a pre-order bonus that goes back in time and saves me $60 on the PC version?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Is there a pre-order bonus that makes the story not suck, and makes the skill trees actually good? Or a pre-order bonus that goes back in time and saves me $60 on the PC version?
Make the story not suck?
It's Diablo, what did you expect?

OT:
Sounds good.
Can be played offline, local multiplayer and no AH (or is that no RMAH?).

Jandau said:
The absence of a Real Money Auction House is the greatest "preorder bonus" the PS versions of the game will feature. I wish the PC version would be similarly blessed...
RMAH is not the biggest problem in my opinion, I find the regular AH far, far worse.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
fenrizz said:
Jandau said:
RMAH is not the biggest problem in my opinion, I find the regular AH far, far worse.
Be that as it may, it's like saying that the gunshot to your guts is less of a problem than the one through your lungs. Yeah, technically it is, but you're still shot and bleeding out...

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
walrusaurus said:
Steven Bogos said:
A playable version of the PS3 edition of Diablo III at Blizzcon revealed that it is quite far along in its development cycle.
This needs a correction. Seeing as the PS3 version of Diablo 3 was announced at the PS4 launch and there hasn't been a blizzcon since 2011, I'm positive there was no gameplay footage of the PS3 version at blizzcon (unless of course blizzcon exists outside of time and/or space).
You're absolutely right. I meant Penny Arcade Expo. Thanks for that!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
fenrizz said:
Make the story not suck?
It's Diablo, what did you expect?
The lore and story for 2 and LoD were better. More enjoyable, less contrived, less forced as well. The tale of the Wanderer was largely disconnected from the progression of the actual game. Plus Ba'al was delightfully camp.

It also annoyed me that the previous round of heroes didn't make an appearance as twisted monsters. Aside from a random encounter with a guy trained under the Necromancer, I've yet to see any reference to them.