GameStop Staff Lose Early Access to Dragon Age 2 Demo

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
GameStop Staff Lose Early Access to Dragon Age 2 Demo

EA says that it pulled the demo because it couldn't figure out a way to keep it exclusive.

Earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107491-Dragon-Age-2-Demo-Comes-Early-for-GameStop-Employees-UPDATED-Again], BioWare revealed that GameStop employees would get early access to the Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0047TG2R0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297427230&sr=8-1] demo. Unfortunately, it seems that in the days that followed, someone at EA decided that wasn't such a good idea after all.

It was the GameStop link on the BioWare site that first revealed the existence of the demo in the first place. BioWare initially tried to downplay the link, saying that until the demo was officially announced, any talk of it was just speculation. It wasn't long before it changed its tune however, and confirmed both that the demo was coming, and that GameStop employees would get it early.

Appropriately enough, the link on the BioWare site was also the first indication that the situation had changed. The offer has been removed from the site, and in its place is a short note saying that the offer had been cancelled due to "security concerns." No further information is given on the site, apart from the fact that GameStop employees now have to wait until February 22nd like everybody else.

In an official statement, EA said that it had wanted to give some of its partners early access to the demo, but couldn't figure out a way to keep it exclusive. With that in mind, it said, the decision had been made to rescind the early access offer. It seems like a slightly strange reason pull the demo, as you'd think that that kind of security issue is something that BioWare and EA would have figured out before making the demo available, not after. Oversights do happen however, and it's not like there's long to wait before until the demo's actual release.

When the demo does go live in a few days time, it will give players an introduction to the main character Hawke, the city of Kirkwall, and the party member - and potential love interest - Isabella. What's more, completing the demo will give players access to a magic sword called Hayder's Razor, which boosts health, mana, and combat abilities.

Dragon Age 2 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 8th.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/10/dragon-age-2-demo-no-longer-available-early-to-gamestop-employee/]

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Perhaps I'm just a fool but I don't see why they wouldn't just release it to everyone instead of pulling it down. I mean, ya they have an 'official date' but that can be fixed by a nice "Hey, you know what, we like you gamer types, you get the demo early as well! Yay!"

Also, I find it kind of ironic that the game companies can figure out 100's of ways to prevent legitimate customers from playing their games with DRM and such. But when they actually want to prevent people from playing a game, they either forget, or just don't try.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
and we care why again?

Gotta admit though...for people that were looking forward to that trash it has to be disappointing to them.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
The more I see of this game, the more it looks like a dumbed down, over the top action game. Even the visuals are leaning towards the Asian roleplaying game's signature oversized equipment and cartoonish art. The levels are (more) linear and the focus has shifted entirely to an action adventure style experience.

Can't blame them though, wanting to make money and deciding to focus on the 360 - thus making it for a... simpler demographic.
The interviews stated that the harder difficulty levels were specifically for people who had played Dragon Age: Origins, so I don't see any problems from them making the combat exciting. Plus, I never liked anime but the new art style looks fine to me.

OT: But... it was gonna be leaked today. *starts crying*

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
The more I see of this game, the more it looks like a dumbed down, over the top action game. Even the visuals are leaning towards the Asian roleplaying game's signature oversized equipment and cartoonish art. The levels are (more) linear and the focus has shifted entirely to an action adventure style experience.

Can't blame them though, wanting to make money and deciding to focus on the 360 - thus making it for a... simpler demographic.
I hear the Pc version is much more tactical than the consoles, however is it so bad if they streamline a few things like inventory?

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
The Forces of Chaos said:
Pirate Kitty said:

I hear the Pc version is much more tactical than the consoles, however is it so bad if they streamline a few things like inventory?
YES. Making it more fun and accessible obviously means they're selling out. /sarcasm

I liked what they did to Mass Effect 2. I hated juggling inventories and equipment. I'm a long time rpg fan but really, it's gotten old. So when they removed it for the sequel I found it improved the game vastly for me.

They also removed that accursed tank. Fighting in it was kinda cool, but not worth having to drive around in it for hours with those annoyingly wonky physics. It was like driving a Humvee on a trampoline.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Heh...a looooot of restraint I feel coming from this statement of theirs for some reason. Then again, perhaps I'm just reading a bit too much into things. *smirks*

Woem

May 28, 2009
I got a PS3 for Christmas, and it's my first non-mobile console (and I used to be a PC gamer). I'm curious: how will I get the Dragon Age 2 demo on my PS3?

Apr 28, 2008
But... its a demo, and its free, and if its done, why wait to release it?

Also, I thought EA hated Gamestop and the used games market, why are they giving them exclusive stuff?

Pirate Kitty said:

Which is funny, considering DA:O did so well on consoles and was already a massively streamlined version of Neverwinter Nights.

Plus it sold remarkably well on consoles, and the only real complaint I saw was that the controls were rather iffy. Other then that it seems like most loved it. Which makes me wonder who exactly they're simplifying it for...

And I actually like its new look. DA:O looked rather boring and bland. This one looks to be much more visually interesting.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wow there's people that still wanna play DA:O 2; yet alone as an early demo?

Bioware must be doing something right. Let me guess, is there gonna be a romance in this game? I'll pass.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Darkauthor81 said:
They also removed that accursed tank. Fighting in it was kinda cool, but not worth having to drive around in it for hours with those annoyingly wonky physics. It was like driving a Humvee on a trampoline.
A humvee on a trampoline actually sounds pretty awesome :eek:

OT; it's a demo, why keep it secret?

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
I suspect it's partly the fault of game journalism sites for dragging this into the public arena, such that rather than being a semi-casual gesture of good-will to game vendors, it became a serious security concern as everybody knew about it, so it had to be pulled.

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Woem said:
I got a PS3 for Christmas, and it's my first non-mobile console (and I used to be a PC gamer). I'm curious: how will I get the Dragon Age 2 demo on my PS3?
If you hook it up to an internet connection, via wireless or ethernet and then make a Playstation Network Account (or PSN) then you can download it direct to your PS3's harddrive.