GameStop Wants to Link Your Xbox Live Account to Its Registers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

The retailer says it wants to remove the "friction" of buying digital content, by making it as easy as picking a game off a shelf.

Game retailer GameStop is hoping to expand its role in selling DLC by becoming a bridge between the consumer and Xbox Live or PSN. Shawn Freeman, SVP and GM of GameStop's digital business, said that a lot of customers still gravitated towards retail, and that by partnering with retailers, publishers could increase the reach of their digital content.

The plan is a pretty simple one: Consumers tie their Xbox Live or PSN profiles to their GameStop accounts so when they buy content in-store, it's already in their download queue when they get home. Freeman said that the plan would remove some of the "friction" of buying online. Customers wouldn't have to go home, buy points, and then buy the content, he explained, instead, they could treat it just like a regular purchase.

He admitted that the plan would mean less money per sale for publishers, but said that it would ultimately increase their revenue by generating more sales. Freeman noted that GameStop sold as many points for Xbox Live and PSN - in the form of prepaid cards - as Microsoft and Sony did online, which he said demonstrated just how much access GameStop had to gamers who were interested in downloadable content.

Some people may balk at the idea of GameStop knowing who they are on XBL or PSN, but the idea itself sounds pretty convenient. Freeman says that GameStop has already approached a number of potential partners for the idea, so perhaps we'll see it rolled out in the not-too-distant future.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/the-world-is-moving-away.ars]

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I can't deny that for many people this could be incredibly convenient, so I guess I am behind this sort of thing since those against it would still have the option of doing everything themselves. I don't see why anyone would be complaining about this.

inb4gamestop biased people complain about this anyway?

Jul 22, 2009
Sounds fairly convenient but I never shop at Gamestop so it wouldn't affect me...

If it kicks off maybe GAME will try it too.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Sounds nice in theory. However, I wonder if Microsoft, Sony or any of the publishers would be kicking up a fuss about GameStop taking a slice of the profits, particularly if it's a large one.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I don't see this working in the short term. Right now companies are in the hoard profits mode. Once nobody can make any money, then they'll go to the raise wages to consume phase. After that, we get the bloated wages to retain help phase. After that, we get another downturn, when companies return to the hoard profits mode.

I don't see it happening right now, plus it's not hard to do it through the system that's available right now, so I don't see why you would want to do it any other way.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I remember years ago, I think when the 360 first came out and DLC started getting announced that Xtravision (a video rental/sales chain in Ireland) stated they were going to sell people DLC for cash. It never got off the ground though.

This is a handy enough idea for people who dont want to buy preset point cards (1200 points for a 1000 point download), but I can already see it being added as an annoying presales pitch.

Approach the counter with the game - "we have that in preowned sir. would you like to insure your copy? Would you also like to buy the existing DLC, or preorder the fortcoming DLC? Do you have an account with us?"*

*This will happen in every store that tries this kinda stuff, not just Gamestop. I'm not trying to hate on one store, they're all the same to me.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
I have difficulty imagining how this is not the worst of both worlds.

I still have to leave the console, spend gas to get to a mall, and deal with GameStop employees.

Then, when I've paid for a game, I don't actually get the game. I have to go home and wait for the game to download.

Reducing "friction" when buying online? It sounds to me that what GameStop is saying is that it knows there is an audience of people who have online consoles, but either don't know how or are afraid of buying online, so that what you should do is give them your login credentials and let them shop for you.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Because going to the store is so much more convenient than just hitting a few buttons on your controller.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Even if I had a console, I sure as hell wouldn't trust Gamestop (or pretty much any retailer) to do this right. Besides... I'm all for full digital distribution. Get the vultures and scavengers out of the way...

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I'm sorry, but... Is it really that difficult to buy online? Really? You look up what you want, see how many points are next to it, then buy points equal to or greater than that value. I really don't see what's so tricky.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Gamestop are just trying position themselves for when the next gen of consoles come out. Most industry experts and publishers seam to think that digital distribution only is whats going to happen. Just look at the success of iTunes steam and the various App stores to see that lack of physical media hasn't exactly been a barrier so I see no reason to disagree.If that happens then Gamestop as things stand don't have a market any more.

Jondare

Aug 23, 2010
To all of the people stating that they think just buying online is easier, i think you missed the point.

You (or rather, we) aren't the target demographic for this thing. I would imagine the target to be people who just bought the console for their kid, and haven't really looked into the whole online shopping stop. This is probably the persons who now either don't buy the DLC, or buy prepaid cards, the go home and get their coins, then their game.
Heck, even people without a credit card (I know a dozen or so) would likely celebrate this change, as they can then just trup up with their piggie bank and get that shiny new mappack or horse armor or whatever.

For them, it would probably make it a good deal easier, or at least make them more comfortable doing it.

Anyway, got a little long winded, so TL;DR:You aren't the target demographic, soccer mom is.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Good: Buying DLC in-store, with cash
Bad: Yet another fucking account to keep track of

Step in the right direction I suppose, or maybe diagonally sort of in the right direction. Still praying for DLC on CD.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I can't be arsed to go to the store to buy a physical copy, let alone a digital copy, of anything. If I'm gonna buy a physical copy, I'm gonna get it delivered to my door. If I'm buying digital DLC, I'm not leaving my bedroom.

And if I'm going to buy a digital copy of a game, it damn well better be cheaper than the physical copy. Right now... they're the same bloody price. It simply isn't right. >.<

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:

Some people may balk at the idea of GameStop knowing who they are on XBL or PSN
What a FUD article. I mean, Facebook has all your information, sites like The Escapist have Steam accounts, PSN accounts.

Everything is interlinked, makes sense for someone to actually do something with it.

Fr said:
anc[is]Good: Buying DLC in-store, with cash
Bad: Yet another fucking account to keep track of

Step in the right direction I suppose, or maybe diagonally sort of in the right direction. Still praying for DLC on CD.
This though, while it would be annoying for everything to be owned by one party.. Actually no it wouldn't. If MSFT bought Steam, then they could scrap Games For Windows Live and integrate Steam with Xbox Live and GFWL. Then they just need to get Sony to partner with them, that would force Nintendo to do a deal. Then everything is pretty darn convenient.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
uuggghhh... Gamestop goes even further to increase their monopoly in the American market.
Here is what MovieBob thinks on it:
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-41-The-Revolution

I agree with him, eventhough I'm not American and GameStop hasn't infiltrated my country.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
... or I could just buy the DLC online? Instead of having to get in a car, drive to gamestop, buy the dlc, run home, have it download...

Thats more friction than I, or most people would go through. I can see why theyd want to; in theory. But its just a bad idea. Considering a Kmart (they still exist?), Target and Walmart are closer to me and sells xbox live point cards, and the only time I buy these cards is when Im out and see one or as a gift, going through the process (or being hastled to EVERYTIME I SHOP THERE) will make me want to go there less.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cyberjester said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Some people may balk at the idea of GameStop knowing who they are on XBL or PSN
What a FUD article. I mean, Facebook has all your information, sites like The Escapist have Steam accounts, PSN accounts.

Everything is interlinked, makes sense for someone to actually do something with it.
I notice you left out the part of that sentence where I said how convenient the idea sounded.