GameStop Warns Against Anti-Used Game Technology

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
zehydra said:
Wouldn't it be great if all next-gen consoles sucked?
I would love it. It would push a hell of a lot of gamers back to PC and we might get a nice boost to the PC games industry.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Pyrian said:
Adam Jensen said:
They are biased, but they are also correct. People will simply wait for price drops or switch to PC. Less hassle, and Steam deals are awesome.
SonOfVoorhees said:
but as i say, i doubt MS will, maybe when consoles go digital only but then hopefully games will be cheaper and thus the used game market wont matter. Look at steam...at that price who cares about used.
KeyMaster45 said:
Ehh, all the games I want to play come out on steam nowadays anyway. ... If anything I think that's what Sony and Microsoft should be scared of happening, not used game sales.
Uh, guys? I love Steam, too, but it's pretty much the poster child for buying games new and being unable to resell them. If MS/Xbox wants to chase Steam's coattails, no-used-sales no-game-stop all-digital-distribution consoles make good sense.

The remaining brick-and-mortar digital product stores are all staring into the abyss which Tower Records, etc., long since fell into. They're dinosaurs.
Steam only works because it is cheap.

Console devs won't do that kind of price stripping to get sales. They look for scape goats, not sales.

Crono1973 said:
Normally, Steams prices are exactly the same. Sales are the exception, not the rule. For example: Skyrim is still $60.
It's been on sale for much less than that at least once a month since release >.>...sometimes multiple times.

Crono1973 said:
I think the selection issue will be solved next gen. As for the sales, hardly a reason to give up your consumer rights. There are quite a few Steam games I would resell if I could, Skyrim being one of them and if I had those games on console, they would be used to fund new game purchases.
I could have never resold games at the same price I save on steam sales. There is no market where people are willing to buy my game off me for 75%-85% the cost of new without dealing with ebay or local trades with people.

Its much more convenient to just get it 75% off already and not >need< to trade it in just to afford my next game.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
theultimateend said:
Steam only works because it is cheap.
That's pretty much the truth of it. Steam isn't competitive just because of all its bells and whistles. It's competitive because it COMPETES in the pricing market.

Sure Skyrim is still going for $60, but that behemoth has been perhaps the most successful single player game in... forever. It's STILL selling well. I am certain Steam would lower the price if people would just stop buying it for a moment.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Don't TELL them, let Microsoft make its own mistakes. They're big boys, and besides...might take a good example for publishers and manufacturers alike.

MagunBFP

Sep 7, 2012
itchcrotch said:
I can tell you that if one console has something like DRM requirement or anti used game tech, that will tip it for me, and I'll buy what ever the competitor is.
And I don't even buy used games, and I have a stable internet connection, that's not the point.
What is your point then? The console developer does something you don't like so you're going to throw a tantrum and go to their competitor who either has that same "feature" or is sure as hell going to include it in the next OS patch (which you will need to install before going online), leaving you stuck with your 2nd choice of console.

Always on DRM is a dick move, the world saw how well that worked with the Diablo 3 launch. No service provider and no online server ever has 100% uptime so we can predict that at some point gamers will be screwed either because their ISP is broken, their modem/router has crapped itself or MS/Sony's server aren't accepting connections. Thats a point.

Blocking used games... suck it up, save the extra $10 and buy the game new, you're not saving that much and if you have to buy an online pass then the $10 you "saved" buying pre-owned just got spent on the pass and you didn't even get to enjoy the new game smell. No-ones say you have to buy full price on launch day, but second hand games just aren't cheap enough to be worth it, personally I'd perfer the publisher/developeer got the money anyway... if its a good game maybe then they can make a decent sequal (it hasn't happened in recent memory but a guy can hope)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
MagunBFP said:
The point, which you missed, is that he knows how to shift the economy and make a statement. You lead by example so that others might learn to follow. You don't throw good money after bad. You influence the market towards good. What, do you think companies have really taken a loss because 'the market isn't strong'? Hah. Please, don't talk to us of tantrums. That was rude and the comment attached aggressively-stanced supposition. Please do not do that again.

MagunBFP

Sep 7, 2012
FalloutJack said:
The point, which you missed, is that he knows how to shift the economy and make a statement. You lead by example so that others might learn to follow. You don't throw good money after bad. You influence the market towards good. What, do you think companies have really taken a loss because 'the market isn't strong'? Hah. Please, don't talk to us of tantrums. That was rude and the comment attached aggressively-stanced supposition. Please do not do that again.
Indeed, the points you make are definitely valid, but you're inferring that they are the points he was making. Going with the competitor because of issues that are of no relevance to you, he said he doesn't buy used games and his internet connection is stable, doesn't actually fall under throwing good money after bad or influencing the market towards "good". If these new features don't impact you, then how exactly are they bad?

I can't comment as to profits/losses of companies because I don't know, I just like good games and it doesn't matter much to me who makes then. What I do know is that when I used to go into stores and buy a new game the sales person would, most of the time, try to sell me a second-hand version instead. Which is just about the retailer getting all the money for the used game instead of anyone else, so by logical extension of this if people are convinced to save $5-$10 dollars then the publisher has lost any profit from the sale.

As for my comment about tantrums, yes it was condescending but gettng worked up about something that, by his own admission, isn't going to affect him is pretty much a tantrum.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
PsychoChick966 said:
I read some comments above about people like me being in the "dark ages", and say what you will, but I really don't have use for an internet-connected console. I've had an Xbox since 2006, and only connected it via Xbox Live, a couple weeks ago. I don't like to play multiplayer games, and the only reason I hooked it up at all was because I used to play co-op games with my daughter before she moved across the country. I missed playing with her, so I bought a subscription for Xbox Live. I don't know if I'll renew the subscription in a year though, because although I enjoy playing with her, I don't do it often enough to warrant the subscription. So I'm not sure why that puts me in the dark ages...it's just a preference. I like to play single-player games, period. To have my console hooked up to the internet, puts another financial burden on my already financially-strapped family as well. I did it at the time, because we had the funds, but my husband's income fluctuates, and it's not something I'd even be ABLE to do if I wanted to subscribe right now. So Xbox would be cutting so many customers off, just by making the always on-line internet connectivity issue a reality, alone. Some people just can't afford it. These people will then go to Sony. Or, they'll just go to computer-gaming. I HAVE internet, and am on the internet most of the day (on my computer)...I just don't want to HAVE to pay for another device to be hooked to it, especially since I won't use it much.
You don't have to pay to connect your Xbox to the Internet, they don't charge you anything for the free Silver account and they even provide the ethernet cable for free.

All you have to do is connect the supplied ethernet cable to your modem/router and your Xbox is connect to the Internet, always online and without costing you a penny (other than what you already pay for your Internet access).

You may have to pay to maintain a Gold subscription which mainly grants you access to multiplayer, but to just be connected to Xbox Live, to download patches and updates for your games and download DLC, demos and other Marketplace content, and more importantly, to fulfil the rumoured "always online" condition of the Nextbox, all you have to do is connect the supplied cable to your Internet source.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Sidney Buit said:
Why does everyone latch onto the "Used Games" part of these stories while ignoring the absolutely atrocious part. You must always be online to use the console.

Maybe I'm the only one that lives in the dark ages, but the internet is a very expensive thing (especially at the speeds they'll require)and until recently I didn't even have access to high-speed at all. If any console requires that I be online to play my games - whether or not they allow used game sales - I simply won't be able to justify purchasing the console nor the games. I don't know when I'll be forced to cancel my internet subscription and I don't know when I'll have to move down the street where there isn't cable access...
Holy Fucking Shit!!! I hope you're wrong. There would be no words to describe my disgust.

OT: And as for this, I doubt it will work. Call me crazy, but every one has limit and I know some Xbox fans this will instantly turn off. I use rentals for demo's, and I know many other people that do the same.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
PsychoChick966 said:
We should all be on the same side on this issue, I think. We should not be okay with companies like Xbox telling us how we have to game. They WILL listen to us if we speak with our wallets. These possible changes to their consoles may be okay with YOU, but you HAVE to recognize that we all don't have the same financial capabilities, or want to play our games the same way you want to play. Why would you want to push other gamers out of our community, or be OKAY with the idea that they will be pushed out? The idea that a gaming company feels ripped-off because of the sale of used games is preposterous to me. If they're used, that means they were paid for once already. Why do they feel entitled to be paid for the same item over and over again? If they want, there's nothing to stop them from renting games. I want to reiterate here that they're NOT losing out on sales to people who just can't afford the price of a new game. If only new games are sold, some people will just have to do without gaming.
Why should we all be on the same side on this issue? I personally think if you can't afford to play game X, don't play game X. Play something else. There's plenty of excellent free stuff out there. Most of my gaming collection has always consisted of freeware, a discount title now and again, and the occasional new purchase.

As for not losing out on sales to people who can't afford, that's not the issue. It's the issue of people who can afford the price of a new game, who instead take the used copy at Gamestop on the cheap, after actually wanting a new copy of the game in the first place.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Well then we're going to hit a Video Game Crash. It's an inevitable consequence of unmetered greed, I guess.

If they go through with this then they will see a 25% MINIMUM contraction on the gaming market. I know what they're thinking. "It's just the Used game market it won't affect the industry." But they're wrong. Any economist would tell you that this is a horrible idea. Explaining the finer points of something like Used Car Sales seems to be above the heads of the Greedy.

Embrace the crash.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Well they're not wrong, are they?
Well no, they're not wrong.

However, this is Gamestop and we're not suppose to agree with Gamestop... even if they are right.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
oh gamestop you goofy transparent bastards. im in favor of only being able to play new games. i do most of my gaming through steam and i obviously cant buy used games through there. buying used games wasnt even an option when i had nes, genesis, snes, n64, and gamecube (not in my area anyway) and that didnt stop me from gaming. i dont need to own every single game i have the slightest interest in, im fine with saving my money for the games i really want. call developers greedy if you want, for wanting to get a profit from every person who plays their game, but i like supporting developers. even if this bad publicity stops sony and microsoft from implementing this, gamestop needs to prepare for the fact that gaming is eventually going to be digital. it probably wont be for quite a while but its going to happen and if they want to stay afloat, they are going to need to find a way to become less dependent on used games

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
lithium.jelly said:
zehydra said:
Wouldn't it be great if all next-gen consoles sucked?
I would love it. It would push a hell of a lot of gamers back to PC and we might get a nice boost to the PC games industry.
There's quite a few problems with that though with a few being:

People who already have consoles and are happy still using them.

People who don't know how to build a PC let alone know how to fix certain games (I wouldn't pull the whole "look up forums excuse).

People who don't want to keep shelling out money for new parts time and time again (especially if one part were to fuck up or break down).

People who loved the exclusives that aren't on PC.

People who can't play PC games with a gamepad and aren't great at using K+M (Yes there are still games out there than can be K+M only).

People that can't afford say a new GPU to keep up with the latest in gaming because of irl situations such as bills and the like.

People with really shitty internet connections and other people who don't like digitally downloading their games (I for one don't like waiting half a day if not more for my digital game downloads and my connection is the highest there is on the Isle of Man).

And finally people who just flat out don't like PC gaming.

That and I know most of the time people want others to ditch consoles and join the "master race" for that nice ego stroke otherwise they'd leave others to their own complete choice of platform without telling them their's is shit to prove a point.

As for myself I'm most likely going to stick with the 360,Wii U and a little of the PC seeing as how I can't afford new parts as much as I am not equipped with the greatest of common knowledge of building a godlike one either and dislike mostly using K+M for my games unless it's Sim or RTS.

Captcha; Wild West, it sure feels like it when I'm here.

As a last note with all those points up there I know will get the usual excuses, but that does not mean they aren't any less real of a situation for many already.

PsychoChick966

Feb 8, 2013
Jamash said:
PsychoChick966 said:
I read some comments above about people like me being in the "dark ages", and say what you will, but I really don't have use for an internet-connected console. I've had an Xbox since 2006, and only connected it via Xbox Live, a couple weeks ago. I don't like to play multiplayer games, and the only reason I hooked it up at all was because I used to play co-op games with my daughter before she moved across the country. I missed playing with her, so I bought a subscription for Xbox Live. I don't know if I'll renew the subscription in a year though, because although I enjoy playing with her, I don't do it often enough to warrant the subscription. So I'm not sure why that puts me in the dark ages...it's just a preference. I like to play single-player games, period. To have my console hooked up to the internet, puts another financial burden on my already financially-strapped family as well. I did it at the time, because we had the funds, but my husband's income fluctuates, and it's not something I'd even be ABLE to do if I wanted to subscribe right now. So Xbox would be cutting so many customers off, just by making the always on-line internet connectivity issue a reality, alone. Some people just can't afford it. These people will then go to Sony. Or, they'll just go to computer-gaming. I HAVE internet, and am on the internet most of the day (on my computer)...I just don't want to HAVE to pay for another device to be hooked to it, especially since I won't use it much.
You don't have to pay to connect your Xbox to the Internet, they don't charge you anything for the free Silver account and they even provide the ethernet cable for free.

All you have to do is connect the supplied ethernet cable to your modem/router and your Xbox is connect to the Internet, always online and without costing you a penny (other than what you already pay for your Internet access).

You may have to pay to maintain a Gold subscription which mainly grants you access to multiplayer, but to just be connected to Xbox Live, to download patches and updates for your games and download DLC, demos and other Marketplace content, and more importantly, to fulfil the rumoured "always online" condition of the Nextbox, all you have to do is connect the supplied cable to your Internet source.
Thanks. I obviously wasn't aware of that. I appreciate the info. :)

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
FoolKiller said:
And there is still the fact that the terms of service we agree to allows them to change functionality after the fact. One day they could just go *click* and turn off used game playability. Sony already pulled this bullshit with PS2 games, and for what, to be able to sell them online.
What are you talking about? There are still PS3s out there that can play PS2 games, its just the new ones that can't do it anymore since they took out that functionality to make them cheaper. The only reason the PS3 could play them in the first place was because they pretty much had another additional PS2 chip in them.

What was REAL bullshit was that XBOX 360s were compatible with only a select few XBOX games.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
huuuuum, used games seller advocates used games as system sellers..

do they not realize Microsoft looses money on systems? this isn't exactly a good deal for them lol
ah, gamestop. how do you still exist :D