GameTap: Gaming's Best-Kept Secret

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
GameTap: Gaming's Best-Kept Secret

A lot has changed since GameTap's release, though. In the last few months I've seen and heard more mention of GameTap in gaming forums, podcasts and editorials than I have in its two-year lifespan. Although it doesn't yet seem to garner the same attention as other high-profile content delivery services, like Nintendo's Virtual Console or Valve's Steam platform, GameTap looks to be gaining ground.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
I don't know why I haven't signed up for GameTap yet. Probably just have enough to play as it is.

I keep wondering whether Steam or GameTap will be the first to partner with a console manufacturer.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
All the console manufacturers have their own services, though.

GameTap probably hasn't caught on because the vast majority of its games are all old-school. However, I've heard from GT staffers that there are subscribers that only pay the fee because they have California Games.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
I broke down and subscribed to Gametap a few weeks ago. The combination of older games I wanted to revisit (such as the Bioware/Black Isle RPGs), more current games I hadn't got around to yet (Hitman: Blood Money, the new Tomb Raider installments, Serious Sam 2, Total Overdose), Overlord, the Sam & Max episodes and the upcoming Codemasters releases tipped me over the edge. It really is an insane value, and it's getting better all the time.

Overlord has been available via Gametap for a few weeks now, btw.

bigjonno

Sep 11, 2007
Tom Edwards said:
Is it available outside America yet?
Not as far as I know. I'd gladly pay that amount, or even the usual ridiculously inflated prices we're subjected to, for that amount of content.

LxDarko

Nov 11, 2006
I like the idea of gametap, now if I could get that through a console I would be all over it but for me it isn't worth it to play those games on the PC especially the old games. I need a nice couch or recliner when playing older console games.

If the next pc I build can be put into entertainment center then maybe I will give Gametap a try.