"Gaming Community" Connected to Pipe Bomb Attack

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Gaming Community" Connected to Pipe Bomb Attack

Fingers are being pointed at the "gaming community" for a pipe bomb attack on a family of five.

Three men have been arrested following an attack on a home belonging to Jeanne Bezarra of Monroe, New Jersey. The incident began when a pipe bomb was "launched" into Bezerra's teenage daughter's room, followed by a second bomb that came through the window of her own bedroom.

"So we hid in the closet because then we heard another explosion," Bezerra told CBS New York. "While we were on the phone with 911 the fire alarms went off and the emergency person was telling us to leave the house, but we said we think we're under attack, and we're afraid if we leave the house we are going to get shot."

A third bomb was launched at the house as the police arrived. Three suspects, Michael and Jonathan Cavallo and Matt Debski, were arrested and now face 21 charges; eight unexploded pipe bombs were also recovered. It's an unfortunate and obviously rather bizarre story, but our interest comes not from the attack itself, but from the alleged connection between it and the "gaming community."

What community is being talking about, whether it's a wigged-out World of Warcraft guild, people who take Call of Duty a little too seriously or just all them crazy videogamers in general, isn't made clear, but the family - and, by extension, CBS - believe "the attacks may be related to their oldest son's involvement in a videogame community." The basis for the belief is similarly unclear.

If there is anything to the idea that videogames were somehow involved, it will come out once the matter goes to court; in the meantime, we've also reached out to the Monroe Township Police Department for clarification and will update if and when we can.

Source: CBS New York [http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/15/family-of-five-attacked-with-series-of-pipe-bombs-at-their-new-jersey-home/]

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
What the HELL does being involved in a gaming community do to cause you to throw PIPE BOMBS into a house with CHILDREN inside?!

Those idiots must be severly disturbed! Being in a gaming community does not make you disturbed!

And it pisses me off that that woman and her family have to deal with some bastards throwing bombs into her house and the media trying to make this about gaming instead of caring about her suffering. They're trying to take what should be a simple case of finding justice for this woman and trying to spin it into "gaming is bad!" That's horrible!

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Why do I feel like these people would be less than 3 degrees from Jack Thompson? How does a pipe bomb attack point fingers to gaming?! That's like blaming someone for killing someone's pet because they live near a slaughterhouse.

I'd like to know what the basis of the accusation is, the mental state of the bombers, and what they say their motivations were.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah! Let's blame something other than the individuals involved! *picks up a pitchfork*

But seriously... if I burned down a building and said it was in the name of Mashed Potatoes, what would happen?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
This is by far the most pathetic attempt I've seen to try and blame video games for violence I've ever seen.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
"My boy would never do this. Those devil video games made him do it." Classic parent who doesn't want to see reality. These parents are the worst kind, and never catch problems with their children before they end up in jail with a criminal record. Then they go and claim that something or other did something to their baby and it's not their fault. And of course CBS is all over the video game claim...

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Vausch said:
How does a pipe bomb attack point fingers to gaming?! That's like blaming someone for killing someone's pet because they live near a slaughterhouse.
Even that makes more sense than this drivel.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Glad to see the Black Scottish Cyclops there.

And this story? Just "The gaming community"? The whole thing? Is that even a thing? Because that's a damn massive and diverse community.

I blame the god-awful traffic here on the people who read books.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
As much as I sympathize with the family for having to go through that by these assholes.. for fuck sakes lady, leave fucking video games out of this! Seriously, she only added that for increased media support and appearance, not out of any actual relevance to the crime.

"My older son has been in high-speed races before, that must be related to the crashed car through my living room owned by some drunk stranger at the moment! It all makes sense!" Equally as stupid.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Guys, it says a video game community. Like people who meet and and do a LAN party or something.

Maybe the son played with those guys and beat them so badly that they decided pipe bombs were the only option.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
So where's the game that teaches you how to create simple homemade explosives, pick completely random members of the public's windows to launch them through and convince your totally and completely sane friends and family to help you do it?

Sounds like a blast, I hope it's in the Steam Sale.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
Yes blame computer games for idiots, it's more convenient than actually discovering the truth. Oh by the way, Rock & Roll is the Devil's music, and there has been a sad decline in witch burning.

Official Declaration (Trumpets sound) "We need some more good ol' fashioned witch burning"

And no you can't date my sister

...she's mine.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
I remember the old days when people could just be crazy and do stupid insane things because they were insane. Considering how many people play Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, and anything else that could relate, wouldn't there be more things like this happening if the games were the cause of it?

Crazy people are just crazy.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
How vauge can you be?

It seem like they think we all live together in one secret underground society and plot the downfall of the surface world. Come to think of it that would be kinda cool. We could form tribes based on genres!

*rushes to kickstarter*

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Had it not occured to them that their older son might be quite a bit of a dick? There have been plenty of examples of trolling gone too far, it was only a matter of time before a troll pissed off someone who then went on to physically retaliate.

Whole WoW guilds fall apart because of petty politics or even because someone didn't get the item they wanted. Then there are the thieves. If indeed it turns out that he is the "cause" of the alleged attack then it's reasonable to assume that he's probably done at least one of these things or similar and done it to the wrong person.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Nasrin said:
Yeah! Let's blame something other than the individuals involved! *picks up a pitchfork*

But seriously... if I burned down a building and said it was in the name of Mashed Potatoes, what would happen?
They would blame Cooking Mama. Obviously.