Gaming Companies Stop Sitting on GREAT Licenses!

PanicStricken

Nov 10, 2010
1st person, sandbox, fallout3/skyrim like, pokemon game. with all the regions. that would make it rain money. i would probably quit school.

posted at 11:11. that is my wish....

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
If you have the chance, and you have netflix, look up two films:

A Separate Peace (or read the book if you can find it)

and

School Ties.

Both of those kinda will illustrate what I mean about the setting as it applies. And both are excellent films worth watching.
Other than that though, I agree, we'll have to agree to somewhat disagree. I'm not saying a sequel isn't warranted or wouldn't be good, I'm just saying that it'll take a LOT of work to live up to the original for me. But I agree, it could be done.
I'll definitely look into them. ^^

Dr.A

Jun 3, 2010
So what you MEAN to say is that they should start making sequels to games you like and stop making sequels to games that you don't like, instead of saying you're getting sick of sequels and then turning right back around and saying that they're not making enough sequels.

I don't really have any specific game licenses that come to mind, except the Everblue and Everblue 2 games. I don't know what their status is at all, if they're still owned by the same people or what. I just remember playing those games several years ago and it was seriously entertaining. You wouldn't think a game centered around scuba diving would be fun, but honestly I'd love to see another game like this come out for a current-gen console.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Prince of Persia.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was one of the greatest games of the 128-bit gen. It's sequels, were, to many, a mixed bag, but the gameplay in them was great.

What was meant to be a current-gen open-world Prince of Persia transformed into Assassin's Creed (the first one). We did get the Prince of Persia reboot in 2008. I liked it, but many took issue with it and I can't say that I blame them.

Ever since Assassin's Creed II pushed the AC series up to the level of Ubisoft's prized warhorse, Prince of Persia has disappeared from the radar (there was that interquel for the Sands of Time trilogy that was made as a movie tie-in, but just about everyone saw that for what it was). We've seen follow-ups to Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Rayman, there's even talk of sequel to Beyond Good & Evil, but not a word about the Prince of Persia series.

As much as I absolutely love Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia needs some love Ubisoft. We haven't heard a single word about the franchise since the 2008 reboot, and mind you, that was a game that had a sequel hook so big you could go whale fishing with it.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
What Square Enix has the rights to: Crono Break
What they make instead: Final Fantasy # god knows what, I've lost track.

Although considering how hard the last few Final Fantasies have sucked compared to the older ones maybe that's for the best.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
These companies aren't making sequels because they're unsure as to whether or not they will be profitable enough to justify bringing said thing into existence. To that end, I believe that games companies should take a note from Kickstarter, and have the fans put their money where their mouth is. Ex, Mega Man Legends 3 was canceled due to a perceived lack of interest. Instead of starting it, then saying "screw it", they should have put out some concept art, and then gotten people to commit to a preorder. Don't take money 'till you've hit that critical profitability threshold, but measure interest based on actual interest. If this is to complicated to do for the CREATION of a game, at the least they could apply it to see if a game is worth regionalizing. I would very much like to precommit to a purchase of a localization of the next couple Ace Attorney games, and the company runs no risk by doing so.

Edd4224

Jul 5, 2011
A mix of TES and Mount and Blade. Leading armies of men and magical beasts against castles would be fantastic. Especially if it had a story like a TES game and the world reacted to things that you did. It. Would be insanely difficult to do but if it was done well then the money would flood in.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
HyenaThePirate said:
Illusion of Gaia 2
If I remember correctly, Illusion of Gaia is part of a gaming triad, along with Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia being the middle release. So... wish granted? Kinda?

I saw someone else said the same thing, but I really, really want Mirror's Edge 2 to happen. There have been rumors, and I have been trying not to get my hopes up too high, but DAMN I want it NOW!!!

I would also say that I would like to see a good Okami sequel, but I doubt that ever could happen, after what I've seen of the spin-offs. A spiritual successor, maybe?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
SE needs to start breaking out some of its shelved IPs. Chrono and Vagrant story.

Could even do what monolith was not allowed to do and make Xenogears 1-4+6 and remake 5 while they are at it.

Only problem is its Square enix now, and really I dont see many people making this connection but SEs rapid decline truly got into full swing once they tied in with Enix. Since then its been massively down hill. So really with square enix I doubt they would do any of their IPs justice any more unless they outsourced the work to one of their subsidiary studios.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Soul Reaver or a legacy of Kain game is full of win. Also would love to see another Vagrant story. Those were good calls man!

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
brumley53 said:
I think they should remake Arcanum. I played the original a while ago but I couldn't really get into it because of the Isometric viewpoint. I'm sure they could make a really cool game.
Boo! Hiss! No need to touch the classics.

Anyway, I'm amazed that someone like Telltale hasn't been able to secure the Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle IP from Lucasarts. Actually, Lucasarts is sitting on a ton of great franchises that are begging for more games. X-Wing/Tie Fighter, anyone? How about another Dark Forces/Jedi Knight?

It's sad the way they've gone from being one of the top-tier developers to being a complete joke in the last 15 years.

Boggelz

Aug 28, 2011
Fiad said:
Lilani said:
If Square Enix made a Kingdom Hearts MMORPG, it would rain money in Japan for the next forty years.
Kingdom Hearts MMO? I don't think that would do so well honestly. But if they were to finally make Kingdom Hearts 3, that would be a money maker.
I would quite gladly sell a lot of my limbs just to play a kingdom hearts 3. And if they made an MMO for it i would buy definitely buy it, even if it was crap i'd make it work.

And quit making handheld games! Its just making me want kingdom hearts 3 more!

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
viranimus said:
SE needs to start breaking out some of its shelved IPs. Chrono and Vagrant story.

Could even do what monolith was not allowed to do and make Xenogears 1-4+6 and remake 5 while they are at it.

Only problem is its Square enix now, and really I dont see many people making this connection but SEs rapid decline truly got into full swing once they tied in with Enix. Since then its been massively down hill. So really with square enix I doubt they would do any of their IPs justice any more unless they outsourced the work to one of their subsidiary studios.
I would love another Vagrant Story game but I'm not really sure where they would/could go with it. Another Chrono game would be nice too but give the status of the project is something that I think would have a higher probability of being just generally shit (i.e. modern Final Fantasy + time travel).

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
Lilani said:
If Square Enix made a Kingdom Hearts MMORPG, it would rain money in Japan for the next forty years.
This or Kingdom Hearts 3.

Also 'The World Ends With You' NEEDS a sequel.