Gaming influencing you music?

brucelee13245

Oct 25, 2009
I wonder how much of your music taste is influenced by the games you play. I have tons of songs from need for speed to music from the zombie levels in COD. I even recently got into blues because of the song Boom Boom from Mafia 2. So escapists, is gaming an open pathway to music?

bulbasaur765

May 1, 2010
Tekken 3 and House of the Dead kinda helped influence me to listen to Rock Music. Back in my childhood I hung out at a bowling alley with an awesome arcade back in the 90s.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
I'm not going to lie, sometimes I will just being sitting around and go "I wanna listen to some metal S***" and pull up the soundtrack to Guilty Gear X on Youtube.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I'd say that video games influence our music. The Tony Hawk games for PS1 & 2 that I played as a kid got me listening to harder stuff than what I had been as a kid,

Also, a lot of the songs on my itunes I first heard from Brutal Legend's sound track.

EDIT: Also I have a band called Powerglove and they do metal versions of classic video game music. Its awesome.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Considering the ridiculous amount of remixes and arrangements of Touhou in just about every style you can think of in my possession, I would have to say yes.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Some of the rap songs in The World Ends With You have encouraged me to listen to more rap music. Unfortunately for me most of it is terrible. But I have found some good stuff so it wasn't a total loss.

sam42ification

Nov 11, 2010
KefkaCultist said:
I'd say that video games influence our music. The Tony Hawk games for PS1 & 2 that I played as a kid got me listening to harder stuff than what I had been as a kid,

Also, a lot of the songs on my itunes I first heard from Brutal Legend's sound track.

EDIT: Also I have a band called Powerglove and they do metal versions of classic video game music. Its awesome.
Tony Hawk undergroud 2 makes used to make a lot of the songs i would listen to. Also sanandreas used to make up a lot songs i listen to. GTA games should have skate boards but why stop there they should also have unicycles.
Yes video games do influence the music we listen to.

SkoopMaster

Jul 4, 2010
not really.

I listen to a lot of trance, hardcore, gabber, you know that kinda stuff and games have no real impact on my taste for music. well unless I was playing beat mania or DDR I guess

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
Considering the ridiculous amount of remixes and arrangements of Touhou in just about every style you can think of in my possession, I would have to say yes.
Ah, good, it's not just me.

Also, games have given me a good deal of orchestral music to listen to, which is nice. I like classical music in general, mind, but still.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
On occasion I pick up a band from games, usually I have already found most of what is on soundtracks before then, but on occasion I am surprised.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
The first kind of music I ever got into was the rock from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Now I'm a huge Green Day fan, and I can see a relation. Because both Crush 40 and Green Day have that extreme awesome rock sound to them. Which is kind of hard to explain. But the point is, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is what it took to help me gain an appreciation for the electric guitar.

Oh, and I also listen to The Lavender Town Theme and The Viridian Forest Theme on occasion.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Short answer, no. While I have a good number of game soundtracks, they don't influence the music I listen to outside of gaming.

Still waiting on my hip-hop-themed fighting game (and no, the Def Jam series doesn't count).

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Not really... I hold some OST's pretty highly but I wouldn't say it's helped me form an opinion... I already had a varied taste in music before I could appreciate game music...<.<

khiliani

May 27, 2010
i wouldn't say it influences my entire musical taste. though it often gets me to listen to music i wouldn't normaly, and i pick up songs which i think are cool occasionaly. but apart from that, not so much

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Halo 2 introduced me to Breaking Benjamin, which was the gateway to all the alternative and mainstream metal that I listen to now.

Guitar Hero: World Tour got me hooked on Tool. Vicarious = the best song ever. Hands the fuck down.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Tony Hawk games really expanded my liking of music a lot and introduced me to my favourte band. Also the zombie songs from Call of Duty WaW and BO were awesome.

And then of course there are musical soundtracks in a lot of games that I really love and have made me respect more forms of music.

George Mooney

Apr 3, 2010
Some of my games introduce me to music I've never heard of. Latest example I can think of is Motorstorm Pacific Rift introducing me to Clutch. I love Clutch now.

I also listen to the Killing Floor music, because it's kickass