Gaming moments where you just say, "I am not having the best luck here" or "I honestly suck at this"

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hello again Escapist

At times its not easy playing video games especially if its a genre you just don't like. For example I am not good at FPS's, no good, can't aim quick enough and cause so much is going on around me, I get killed easily. I can't play that game for 10 hours straight (and yes people can actually do that). When doing online FPS's I just have fun and a laugh rather than go extreme on the game and gain kill streaks or be an "expert".

There are games where I have just the worse amount of luck in. Lags, glitches, bugs just anything that can effect a mission, console freezing, power cuts, internet cutting out while on an online mission. Just having the worse luck with a certain game lately that I really can't be arse to finish it and just looking for something new. So I just play Oddworld: Abe's Exodus while the internet turns back on. Fun puzzle game and I like it.

So to you all, what are some of your gaming moments where you feel you aren't having the best of luck but hear your mates and other players are having a finer experience and games or gaming moments where you admit to yourself that you just aren't good at this cause this isn't my best genre of gaming.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It seems that every game of Dota is one of these.
Some games I'll try a hero for the first time ever and go 27/2/18 (Weaver if anyone is curious), and other times I'll go a hero I know and love and end up 1/13/4 or something. Personal skill carries you a certain amount but a lot of the game is up to whether or not the game decides to put someone of a comparable skill level with you.

Cruickshank

Jul 3, 2013
"i honestly suck at this"
^ describes pretty much my reaction to any platformer game these days; i used to be able to play them, hell, i grew up playing mario, croc and the like, but any time i try and play platformers now i just suck at them.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Just now with Hearthstone, having some nice losing streak going on.
Doubt i get my daily done at this rate.. oh well.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Been playing some Assassin's Creed muliplayer recently, and you know you are having a bad day when your loss streak kicks in and it starts giving you bonus points for sucking, but its not MY FAULT THAT SOME ASSHAT WITH A GODDAMN PISTOL KEEPS ON SHOOTING MY DARN TARGETS FROM ACROSS THE MAP WHEN IM RIGHT NEXT TO THEM -- *ahem* same goes for pretty much any game where you start earning "assist streaks" or you end up spending more time in the respawn menu than actually in the game. Such is the way of competitive multiplayer games.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Every RTS game i have ever played, its like my opponent has atleast a basic understanding of tactics, so ofcourse s/he's cheating.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Yeah... my skill with Dota ends somewhere at basic controls. And I have empirical evidence that I suck at Hold'Em, from two days of Poker Night 2.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
This applies to every MMO I've played PvP in, I just don't have what it takes for whatever reason, I can raid fine, but when I have tiny jumping gnomes circle-strafing me and pummeling me with every kind of debuff known to man, I just know I wasn't cut out for this kind of thing. I've become VERY good at running away however.

RTS games also tend to be this because I invariably prefer the "base building/hoarding aspect" of strategy games so in essence I like "turtling", walling myself in and developing myself up, so games that kind of force a bit of speed on me I tend to lose because I just can't enjoy a swift "get right into battle" type of game.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
League and Dota 2 take the cake.

You can be on a continous winning spree, followed immediately with a streak of 1/7/2s, not to mention 10 continous pvp losses.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Pick any other day where I'm playing TF2 and odds are that will probably be happening.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
In Monster Hunter games.
When A certain part just doesn't want to drop after multiple tries.
Salt in a wound moment is when deciding to go multiplayer since it will shorten the time to kill that certain monster, but I still didn't get that drop when everyone else in my Team got that specific part.

I just stop playing and then go to sleep.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Cruickshank said:
"i honestly suck at this"
^ describes pretty much my reaction to any platformer game these days; i used to be able to play them, hell, i grew up playing mario, croc and the like, but any time i try and play platformers now i just suck at them.
Me and my housemates last year bought a bunch of old playstation games.

We were still decent at some, but we couldnt manage others. We sucked so badly at Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, a game we all completed when we were about 5 years old.

Also, OT, I love the Hitman games, but I am terrible at them.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I cannot win a game of Civilization. I understand the mechanics, I've played at least 250 hours of Civ across IV and V; but I just cannot emerge with a lead. M'colleague suggested that I might micromanage too much, and to that I said, "Isn't that kind of the idea?"

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
DOTA 2, because the majority of the time I get a team that speaks 0 english except report. Skill wise yeah I have my bad moment's but mostly the matchmaking gets me.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Any game. Any at all. If you held a copy if every game I've ever played infront of me and asked me what went wrong, I could probably describe it in detail. That one thing that fucked me over.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Well, I certainly had bad luck with my first 5 or so deaths in Dark Souls. I've heard that you don't die because of unfair causes and that the fault usually lies with you so you'll want to better yourself; I found nothing of that. My first couple of deaths was of me getting stuck on broken vases, my character not dodging the way I want to, getting killed by skeletons(I get that I shouldn't be there, but there is literally no way to gauge their difficulty without getting stomped by them once) and finally getting stuck on stairs. God damn stairs. Stairs are meant for walking. I got stuck on them and got killed. God damn it.

I did like what I played of it, but needless to say, I didn't get a very good first impression.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Auberon said:
Yeah... my skill with Dota ends somewhere at basic controls. And I have empirical evidence that I suck at Hold'Em, from two days of Poker Night 2.
Fun fact: when poker night at the inventory was a new thing (haven't gotten around to grabbing the second yet. Curse my lack of funding!) my brothers and I took turns at it, since we shared a steam account (as you might expect when there is only 1 gaming-capable pc in the house). My elder brother and I weren't great, but we won more matches than we lost. I couldn't figure out the tells but you can get a decent idea of what they have based on how they bet given the cards on the table. After a month, we had a net profit of
-$600,000.
Guess why?

My younger brother did much better in Red Dead Redemption though, but he does look up quite a bit on wikis.

As for poor luck: Mobas. League of Legends in particular. Sometimes I just cant land a pull (or other skillshot). Sometimes I get caught out of position more than I should. Most times my computer lags, starts overheating (necessitating me minimizing or closing all open programs and using a rag to apply water to the heat exhaust port on my laptop), or the internet lags or clips just enough for me to get attacked when I'm helpless (especially when it lets me see what's happening but it just wont register any commands), cuts me off for minutes at a time while it tries to reconnect, cuts me off for 10-30 seconds at a time while everything starts walking in place while it tries to reconnect (and only re-connects and runs properly for 2-10 seconds before cutting off again), has everything start gliding around the screen and neglecting to show animations or any change in fog of war or new models entering the screen, so i can move and input commands but any champions or minions which came to fight i literally cant see and have to guess as to their position (and this almost always happens when someone comes to try to stop me from taking a tower), all on top of the occasional client crash or GPU crash.

Save for the crashing, all of the above tends to happen in a single game. I only deal with it (poorly) because when the game runs properly it's quite enjoyable.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I'm adding myself to the schizophrenic Dota players when it comes to my performance. I also tend to have good and bad days when it comes to bullet hell.

Good days for bullet hell: I can do the highest difficulty without the imminent frustration of a new person playing the highest difficulty.

Bad days: I die to a lone bullet when I'm trying to play a run of "try not to get hit at all" ON THE LOWEST difficulty. T_T

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Getting the 100 repeated continues achievement in Ninja Gaiden 2 for 360. Then again, that game had ridiculous amount of trollworthy difficulty.

Robotic velociraptors? Check!
Demonic tanks? Double Check!
Attack Helicopters (which can only be taken down by FREAKING bow and arrow)? There's your hat trick!

But why stop there? They also have a few full sized dragons. Heck, IIRC, the SIGMA editions have giant cyborg ninja bunny rabbits that could STILL kick your butt six ways to Sunday!

It isn't the genre that I despise, as I enjoyed finishing "Dante Must Die Mode" in nearly every DMC game to date. I've also played the Onimusha Games (totally destroying Genma Onimusha for XBOX...both hell towers beaten!).

I suppose I might add Shinobi/Kunoichi (PS2) to the list, but that was more frustration due to broken gameplay. I have also resigned myself to only being good/decent at two fighting games: KOF Maximum Impact (3D) and Street Fighter (2D).

Of course, all one need do in response to my ENTIRE paragraph is simply mention Demon/Dark Souls...now that's just being a spaz...haha.