Gaming on the Mac

RoThgar

Mar 9, 2008
I know C&C 3 works on a mac as my friend at uni had it running, although using a trackpad to play an rts is horrible so get a mouse that has atleast 2 buttons ^^

so despite what other people say, there are some modern games that run on macs... im a PC purist myself but i see no point in kicking u when ur down. heh.

bulletproof12

Feb 28, 2008
i think WoW works on mac....so if you dont mind losing your soul go for it.

and now to go find a way to make myself feel clean. (hate macs for anything but....nevermind, hate everything about them)

SpiralEater

May 7, 2008
I'm a Mac user and use Windows XP via Boot Camp and it works as if my Mac was a PC. I just simply switch to it to play Team Fortress 2 via Steam. Macs are the ultimate computer.

Johnnyweird

May 7, 2008
I really like my Mac.
People are always making assumptions about the technical prowess of Mac users, but I can guarantee that the average PC user doesn't know anything about computers.
It's a downright stupid generalization.

Besides, there are only two reasons why I would want to game on my computer. They are: Blizzard, and Spore. And both Starcraft 2 and Spore are coming out for Mac.

What I like about Macs is that, if they were to seriously join the gaming business, they would be more like consoles than PCs. I say that because games would inevitably be made to fit the system itself, not to have the system fit the game, which requires constant upgrading with video cards and the like. I don't see myself shelling out that kind of money.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Johnnyweird said:
I not to have the system fit the game, which requires constant upgrading with video cards and the like. I don't see myself shelling out that kind of money.
ok, who the fuck started this 'constant upgrade' bullshit? If you are upgrading constantly, then you are doing something wrong, you should be fine with one setup for each generation, this generation, 2 gigs of RAM, a Dual Core processor, and a PCI-Express Card. There. Is that too fucking hard for people?

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the "Boot Camp" program is good for 'non-mac' things, I just didn't mention it the first time because I thought it was a given.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
GeeseH said:
what i'd give to see a mac user booting into vista :)
well my mac does.

id like to clear up a couple misconceptions here.

fire daemon said:
with the whole no left click and all
this is wrong. all macs today ship with a left click, the desktops ship with a mouse with right click and the laptops have a track pad where left click is tap a finger and right click is tap two fingers. also plug in any mouse into a mac and right click works perfectly. and if your gaming youll probably want to buy a nice mouse anyway[/quote]

mac gaming sucks. that being said there are a couple good games, and the games for mac are basically a selection of the big titles from half back like madden and the sims and star wars battlefront etc. there are a couple cool games out there, like guitar hero and stuff but your better off jsut using boot camp.

on that topic boot camp is just a tool for using both windows and a mac on one computer. i dont know if you know what dual booting is, but it is the act of partitioning your hard drive into two different sections and running a seperate operating system on each section. this is NOT emulation, it is completely different. emulation is where one operating system imitates the other, resulting in a loss of capability, sorta like an impersonation that doesnt sound as good as the real person. when you dual boot there is NO loss in performance and i can tell you both my sections run like a dream (well as much as vista can run like a dream).

so i wish mac gaming was a better prospect but for right now you are much better off dual booting windows and mac. theres no loss in performance and you get all the new games.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Being another Mac user I may as well throw myself into this impending debate, one hesitating to start like many college students do with a term paper.

Like a majority of long time Mac users, I'm an artist, a graphic designer more specifically and a horrid one to be more painfully honest. Given Apple's history of being graphically more powerful for the type of mediocre perversions of art that I find so satisfying, I chose to purchase this flashy expensive silver brick of a Macbook Pro so I could at least pretend I'm part of the community. Yes, I know I could of spent the same amount of money on a top of the line Vista box, but it's that fundamental difference of being run with Vista that turns me away from that and turns me towards Apple, aside from the shine as if I were some ten year old who confused my ridilin with pixie sticks.

The gap between the two OS is closing, and Microsoft is no longer that bad graphically, but still the same tried and true facts on both remain and for this I stick with Apple and sacrifice any gaming experience. Three to five year games, as some one pointed out, is what we are typically limited to, however this is only because Devs like to make money, and there isn't a lot in the Mac field. I do know that COD4 will be released on the Mac, as well as some other titles, but until then your main friend will be Boot Camp and a copy of an over priced Vista, be it version A or version MK.VII Orange or what ever

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I personally love the mac. At first I didn't, but my parents bought one, and I adore it.

True, it's not a gaming computer (thanks to lack of DirectX, and no, BootCamp won't fix it), yet it has very much the capacity to do so.

But it's brilliant at everything else (No VIRUSES!). And it hasn't betrayed me, unlike Microsoft. (Stupid %^$%$%$%$#%$^%R^%$E%%^&&%^*&^%$$$%^&^*%$^&% Vista)

Besides that, you can get some relatively good games on the Mac, such as Battlefield 2142.
I would buy one as a home computer or Laptop, but not as a gaming computer.

Get a computer with XP for that. But hurry. They're taking it off the shelves in June/July.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
Thunderhorse said:
Arkeotype said:
shortened, to save space.
I've got one of the black macbook's, 4 gig RAM, 220 gig HD. And plus the spec's it ships with, so like, 2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo, 800 MHz bus speed....I really don't know what I should tell you in terms of stuff like this. hahaha.
I also have a black macbook I got 'bout a year ago. With the Intel Duel Core etc. But even though more current games like Battlefield 2142 are being ported they won't work on the Intel 950 Graphics Card that comes in the machine. It just isn't supported (cos it ain't powerful enough).
So my advice would be older games, or not at all. More powerful Macs like the MacBook Pro's and iMacs can run games but not mine.

Well done to those trying to keep this thread out of the PC vs Mac territory. We all know the arguments, lets leave it alone.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
Thunderhorse said:
I am short.

That being said, I just like to explore in a desperate attempt to just accept i still retain a bit of his humanity. I'm not in love with it, I didn't come to offend, scrutinize, or anything of the sort.
Direct quote, i didn't change a single word, nor the order of any words! :)

To the person who calls it censorship - the original is posted above so whats the point in complaining. I guess TECHNICALLY the name on the quote should be removed...

---

Mac gaming - i'd echo the call to geta windows emulator. Probably the best bet really. :)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Apone said:
Thunderhorse said:
Arkeotype said:
shortened, to save space.
I've got one of the black macbook's, 4 gig RAM, 220 gig HD. And plus the spec's it ships with, so like, 2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo, 800 MHz bus speed....I really don't know what I should tell you in terms of stuff like this. hahaha.
I also have a black macbook I got 'bout a year ago. With the Intel Duel Core etc. But even though more current games like Battlefield 2142 are being ported they won't work on the Intel 950 Graphics Card that comes in the machine. It just isn't supported (cos it ain't powerful enough).
So my advice would be older games, or not at all. More powerful Macs like the MacBook Pro's and iMacs can run games but not mine.

Well done to those trying to keep this thread out of the PC vs Mac territory. We all know the arguments, lets leave it alone.
True, and sorry. I just like to defend my Mac.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Lord Krunk said:
True, it's not a gaming computer (thanks to lack of DirectX, and no, BootCamp won't fix it), yet it has very much the capacity to do so.
Well, Bootcamp will give you a full working install of Windows, unless your Mac is so ancient it's still a PowerPC CPU. So yes, it gives you DirectX.

I have a MacBook Pro, with Vista installed for games and Leopard for everything else. BootCamp FTW!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Lord Krunk said:
Well, Bootcamp will give you a full working install of Windows, unless your Mac is so ancient it's still a PowerPC CPU. So yes, it gives you DirectX.

I have a MacBook Pro, with Vista installed for games and Leopard for everything else. BootCamp FTW!
Really? The shop that we bought it from said that it didn't. And I got mine June last year. $3000 iMac! Yay! I can play my games now!

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Yeah, BootCamp is a dual boot system, so you just repartition the drive and install Windows, exactly like any other PC. If you have Leopard you'll have all the drivers on your install disc, otherwise you'll need to download it from Apple.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, after all this info, I pretty much decided to track down Full throttle, and few other lucas arts games that were made for the mac. Other than that, I guess it's time to save up for a desktop, with XP.

Sib

Dec 22, 2007
sammyfreak said:
I know Linux users have some sort of windows emulator, im not sure but it might exist for mac.

But i think my local Applehouse store had a selection of games that work on the mac.
You can run Bootcamp off mac for a windows emulator.

waTHUMP

May 5, 2008
Man mac gaming is non existant.

I own a mac myself, and I'm tired of playing AOE3 with my buddies.

Which is why I bought an xbox360.

Now I enjoy streaming vids on the 32".

Everyone wins.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Diablo 2 and StarCraft works on OS X, wouldn't be surprised if more old Blizzard games does as well.

E\\
There's a separate Mac version of C&C3 as well.