Gaming + Sex = Bad Sex Life?

Swenglish

Dec 21, 2007
I feel like I have to tackle this prejudice against gamers once and for all. The idea of a gamer these days is simple: A nerd who, amongst other things, has a non-existent sex-life. Surely it can't be this 100% of the time. So let's keep this short. I know that this is a sensetive topic, so no insults or inmature rants. Not that those are very common here on The Escapist, but please, let's keep it sensible. Now that I've said that, here's the question.

Despite the fact that you game often, how does this affect your sex life?

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
i dont have an active sex life, but it would be totally unfair to blame that entirely on video games

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I just hang out with girls that so happen to have boyfriends already. Tactics, I buy my time... (cries)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I have no sex life, but that's more due to the fact my work hours suck hard(and since it's rotating shift work, it makes it hard to meet people outside of work, let alone keep in touch.

Rob Sharona

May 29, 2008
It pisses off my girlfriend immensely that I place more importance on getting to a save point than coming and giving her a cuddle.

The only way (in my experience anyway) to have an active sex life is just to drop gaming when the girlfriend comes round/home. It's not worth the hassle. This has the added benefit of making my gaming experience better because now I associate gaming with peace and quiet :p

JaguarWong

Jun 5, 2008
I've played games since I was 10 and have been a total fanny magnet my entire life!
^^Only half of that statement is true.

Honestly though - Video games have never stopped me getting laid and and never effected any relationship I've had in any way.

Priorities people, priorities.

KimMR251

Jun 15, 2008
Gaming + sex = good sex life.

Just think, it's cool to have those 2 things in common, haha!

Mephilese

Jun 2, 2008
My social life has dipped severely since my 16th birthday (the day I got my beloved X360), and as these 6 months have included me choosing to spend evenings playing my Xbox as opposed to me going out with my friends, my social life has dipped. When My social life dips, so does my sex life.
I'm inclined to think that gaming only affects sex life if you let it (so I'm pretty bummered ><)..

:Edit: I'm not underage for anyone thinking so who lives outside the Uk ^^ (Uk Age of Consent = 16)

YuppySlime

Apr 28, 2008
Gaming never got in the way of any romantic encounters.

They are two separate things.

When a lady is around, you focus on her, and the other 85% of the time is when you play games.

hahaha

I think I've only played a game with a girlfriend once. Well, actually she just watched me play Crisis because its a beautiful game.

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
It doesn't really affect it at all to be honest. Whenever I weigh out my options e.g. "I could stay at home tonight and get to 5th prestige on call of duty or go to a party and flirt with that girl" I always pick the girl and when I am going out with someone they generally get priority. I never game when I have someone around anyway I think of my consoles as very personal things for some reason, so when I have a girlfriend around it never really gets in the way.

You did talk about this prejudice about gamers though like this is some stigma that a gamer has a poor sex life because they game instead of going out, I think a more likely reason is that people with poor social skills or who are xenophobic are more likely to be drawn to gaming because they're is not a lot else to do and it provides them with an escape.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Zirnitra, a xenophobe is person with an irrational dislike or fear of foreigners. Although I guess it could still kinda work in this context.

To answer the original question, I am a casual gamer and have very little sex life. But that might just be down to my excessive and annoying pedantry that makes me compulsively correct other people's use of words like "xenophobic".

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
I have an active sexlife... of sorts... I eventually get lucky once in a while every 4-5 months, but I suck at finding or having a girlfriend.

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
JaguarWong said:
Priorities people, priorities.
That's all that really seems to be all your guy's main problem...besides my good buddie The Necroswanson. He just likes it too kinky even for his own good. ;) It is kinda like making a guy choose between his two great loves. Oh the decisions...

^_^

KurtNiisan

Sep 25, 2007
I have a healthy sex life, as well as playing lots of games. My girlfriend was an avid PS2 gamer when we first met, although not so much now.

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
TheNecroswanson said:
That and some people don't like their partner enjoying cheese as well as the pealsures of the flesh at the same time..... Somebody please tell me what's wrong with me. *sadness*
wow, I'm still cracking up from that one. hehe Hey, some people use chocolate or whipped cream, why not cheese? lol But it just goes right back to my making a man choose between his two loves.

^_^