Gangs of New York

Pat M.

Jul 11, 2006
Gangs of New York

Is the community that makes games seems disconnected from the people who play games? Pat Miller talks to "Marvelous" and "TheeTriforceGameMaster" about Empire Arcadia, their New York-based gaming posse turned corporate.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
That's a very interesting article. I've thought exactly the same thing before, about the divide between gamers and developers. Hell, the average gamer has more creativity and vision in his pinky than all of Bungie's developers combined.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
teknoarcanist said:
Hell, the average gamer has more creativity and vision in his pinky than all of Bungie's developers combined.
That, um, does not match my personal experience. Though there are some gamers with incredible creative prowess, I'm afraid the "average" gamer's idea of creativity is to string together clips of headshots captured from a popular FPS, accompanied by a loop (or complete rip) from a recent rap album, and slap it up on YouTube.

Besides, this article had nothing to do with developers; it was about a self-formed community group that acted as a collective bargaining agent for pro-gamers and held some benefit events, unless I've very badly misread it. Nothing about game creation (or even creativity within games) that I saw there.

-- Steve