*gasp!* Someone who has never heard The Beatles??

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
In no particular order.
Help, Hard days Night, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Eleanor Rigby, Let it be, Something, Hey Jude, Come Together, Oh Darling, I've just seen a face, Here comes the sun, Revolution, and i guess... if you have too... All you need is love.

ACTUALLY. What you should do is show her the film "Across the Universe". Its a musical chock-full of awesome covers of the Beetles best songs. There are some glaring omissions, but it even has some deep cuts (Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite, While my guitar gently weeps).
THe fact of the matter is, that while the Beetles were remarkable songwriters, they weren't really very good musicians (Blasphemy!). The covers in Across the universe are stylistically varied enough that she's sure to like at least a handful of them.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Kudos on "Hey Jude", that's my favorite Beatles song. I'd also suggest "Drive My Car", if only because I'm such a huge Douglas Adams fan and it was his favorite according to Salmon of Doubt. And don't entirely discount "Helter Skelter", if your friend is a metalhead and not too into sludge or deathcore or some of the other extreme forms she might like it.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
xdropkicknickx said:
tl;dr What crucial songs belong in a 15-song playlist introducing my friend to The Beatles? remember she's new so songs like Helter Skelter and I Am the Walrus may be a bit much...

So far I'm for sure including Strawberry Fields Forever, Hey Jude, Taxman, and Yesterday
Watch "Across the Universe" with her, thats what i did with some friends who didn't like the beetles. Its agreat movie, and the songs are faithfully adapted to fit modern tastes. The covers of Let it Be, While my Guitar Gently Weeps, and Oh Darling, are particularly spectacular.

adamthecg

Nov 19, 2009
Looking though my collection I would start with ones that your friend has heard before, and show off John paul george and ringo with varied songs.

//introduction - breezy and poppy, easy to listen to and love//
1. All you need is love
2. Hey Jude
3. Hard Days night
4. Strawberry fields

//ok now we get into it - lets show off a little//
5. While my guitar gently weeps - George
6. Help - some randoms
7. Revolution 1 - Lennon
8. Come together - Lennon
9. Lucy in the sky with diamonds - McCartney
10. Sgt. Peppers/with a little help from my friends - McCartney
11. Obla di Obla da - Ringo Starr

//Calm down a little - love song mode engage//
12. Somthing
13. I wanna hold your hand

//Finish strong//
14. Blackbird
15. A day in the life

Ok there you go.
For bonus points guess my favorite beatle

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Just because a band is popular doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be known by everyone. There is no SONG or BAND alone out there that is what 'defines' a genre, a genre of music is defined by a compilation of various tracks that match up to a song.

It would be like claiming that AC DC was a band that 'defined' rock and roll. It's not because they weren't popular, but because they weren't the only ones responsible for producing quality music belonging to said genre, yet there are people who are so arrogant and elitist in their tastes in music that they would not only claim this, they would believe it wholeheartedly.

So, in short, you shouldn't act like it's such a big deal, because it isn't. And to anyone who wishes to accuse me of hate, there's no hate here, I'm indifferent. I'm just so 'not' a music buff that I can't help but groan every time I hear someone go, 'OMG, you've never heard of _______?!'

I listen to so much music (genre/nationality wise) that I'd be wasting energy being 'shocked' by someone's unfamiliarity with a particular band.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
You need to show her the only good Beatles song that exists, even though you already said that you didn't want to...

Helter fucking Skelter.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
The title of this reminded me of something at school in Modern history. We were talking about WWI and the teacher mentioned bombs at some point... One girl asked what a bomb was... Generally everyone has gaps in general knowledge but some are worse then others.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
really, you're criticizing her fro hearing ones like twist and shout and that and you want to give her hey jude? why dont you just give her a 21 hits cd and be done with it.

More on topic, its not exactly surprising. you can hear of a band but know hear them if you dont listen to places that play their music. I know of eric clapton, but i dont always listen to him (I've heard maybe two songs and I couldnt even tell you the names.

EDIT:

Actually, re reading the OPs post, thats rather presumptuous and pretentious to have that kinda thought just cause someone doesnt sing to the a beatles song. I know I ca frequently hear their songs and not sing alone. (though other bands have the affect the beatles had to the OP i'll admit).

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
My favourite one has to be 'I should have known better.'
PERFECTION, ladies and gentlemen.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Meh, I don't like their music. My dad loves them but I just don't see what so special about them. I say this after growing up listenting to everything my parents have played from 60's music, 70's disco, motown, donna summer and so on, the Beatles' work was the only stuff I didn't particularly like.

I still appreciate my parent's fave genres, but my musical tastes are vastly different to theirs now :)

I kinda like 'I feel fine', but that's about it really.

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
*gasp* someone who has a different opinion then you? Whatever is this world coming to.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Come Together

Sadly, some people do not know great bands/musicians.

David Bowie, Queen, U2 etc.

(Captcha, making me type in phone numbers since 1989)

Purple Shrimp

Oct 7, 2008
my favourite from every album (including Past Masters to bring it to 15):

Please Please Me
Roll Over Beethoven
A Hard Day's Night
Words of Love
Ticket to Ride
I Feel Fine
In My Life
Rain
Got to Get You Into My Life