Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

A gay gamer has launched a petition calling on BioWare to fire Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Pc/dp/B0047THYWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301417515&sr=8-2] lead writer David Gaider - yes, the one who so passionately defended gay romances in games - for disrespectfully stereotyping homosexuals.

This is about as bizarre as it gets. David Gaider, you may recall, fired off a lengthy, well-worded defense [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108722-Dragon-Age-2-Lead-Writer-Blasts-Homophobic-Fan] of gay romance options in videogames in response to a Dragon Age 2 player who complained about being hit on by male characters and the lack of a "No Homosexuality" option in the game. Gaider dismissed the complaint, saying that romances in the game are there for everyone, not just "the straight male gamer."

That scored Gaider some serious points, especially among gay gamers, but it turns out that you really can't please all of the people all of the time. So it is that a self-proclaimed "homosexual playing Dragon Age 2" has launched a petition [http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/FireDavidGaider/] calling for Gaider's dismissal because of the way he portrayed gays in the game as "unable to be normal people and think [about] nothing but sex."

"As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I've witnessed the worst stereotype homosexual characters in this game. If you refused to make your moves on a gay character then you are received rivalry points for not wanting to be gay for the character," the petition states. "This is completely wrong, homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us, the person that wrote this game should be fired for stereotyping homosexuals in such a disrespectful way, as well as creating the worst writing in characters, plot and everything else in DA2."

It's impossible to say whether this is actually a gamer who feels legitimately aggrieved or just another Tuesday troll, but if it is legit, as GayGamer [http://gaygamer.net/2011/03/not_all_gay_gamers_think_alike.html] pointed out, it kind of misses the point. "Considering one male companion does this (Anders) and yet another does not (Fenris), this shows that the 'gays' in the game are capable of being normal people after all," the site wrote. "They are capable of flirting and not flirting. You know, as people do."

At last count, the petition to fire Gaider has 208 signatures, putting it neck-and-neck with another, newer petition filed in support [http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/supportdavidgaider] of him. Not that he has much to worry about anyway; if anything, this is just more proof that people are people, regardless of their sexual proclivities - and that sometimes, people are stupid.

Jan 23, 2010
People are indeed stupid. This is why I never listen to people and sure as hell hope Bioware does not in this case. Not that I think that they would do.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
Wow... some people are just never pleased. I mean gaider went well out of his way to defend the homosexuality in the game.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Never fear, I'll take Gaider's place.

From now on, all Bioware games will be written in Shakespeare.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Fenris never pulled that. Anders certainly did, though. Anders was pretty aggressive.
True. Though the only reason he did was because of Hawke's wording.

But yeah, this is derp. And what about the lesbian stuff? I'm pretty sure Merrill wouldn't have ago for not wanting lesbian sex with her.

...though I'm pretty sure nobody has refused that.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Now that's funny. It's not like heteros got the better end of the deal, r bis for that matter. Die Isabella, Die!

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Qwery me this, Gay Gamers: Would you prefer then there were no gay romances?
I think Anders was the only agressive one (Fenris was fine to leave me be), and that was more due to his personallity in this game, rather than his homosexuality. This only proves that Bioware fans will never be happy, no matter what you give them.

Zioalca

Apr 14, 2009
Apparently this gay gamer needs to play through DA2 as a female character cause Anders is just as aggressive. That's just the way his character is in DA2.

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
Well of course it generated rivalry points. I don't have any personal examples to use, but I've heard plenty of stories from fellow asexuals who've turned down approaches. Funnily enough, this usually seems causes the approacher to feel annoyed an maybe a little angry. I don't know why this is, though I suppose it could be a self-esteem thing. "I'm not good enough" or something.

Apr 28, 2008
Well yeah, Anders was really annoying. I remember a couple of times where he would talk to you, and then you'd have 2 heart responses and a big "x". Which was pretty stupid.

Then again all Bioware romances are pretty stupid and silly. After a couple conversations your companions believe you to be their true love. Come on Bioware, you can do better than that. Like with Baldur's Gate. Remember those romances? How they were deep, and intricate, and you had to work for them? How it wasn't just 3 conversations, then sex.

Just go back to that please. Much more interesting.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Wow, seems like he has a point. That's fucking stupid. Don't want your character to take it up the chuff? Well tough, you'll be penalised.

The only game so far the include homosexuality well was Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, where anything with legs is fair game.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I'd personally like the entire staff that worked on that game fired. Not for any great social injustice though, but rather just because it was an abomination and isn't fit to wipe the ass of the other games Bioware has made in the past.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Dude, I've been in rel life and gay people have hit on me. In school, at work, in the streets. Straight people have hit on me, and I've hit on members of the opposite sex. It's called being realistic.

If all you have is a video game where the male and female characters only return feelings for you if you first show them, then you're not really getting a realistic experience of humanity. Being into someone who doesn't return the feelings runs both ways. In my case, it was Anders. Anders flirted with me, he was into me, and I didn't reciprocate. Sure, I got rivalry points. After all, he was heart broken. But that's life right? I gained the friendship points back and he never hit on me again.

The same thing might happen in real life. Say I have a homosexual friend who's had a crush and mistakens my friendliness for a reciprocated crush. He walks up to me and asks me out, I tell him I'm not into men. He's hurt (rivalry, for lack of better term), but we bounce back and we're friends.

I think it's pretty awesome that Bioware made a game in which the characters don't only have interests if you show interest first. you don'tvonly pursue them, they pursue you too. It's realistic, it's life, and anyone who doesn't think so hasn't stepped outside in a long time

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
sometimes, people are stupid.
sometimes? you're overestimating the general population. the same one that calls Transformers 2 and Alice in Wonderland the best movies ever.
and the same one that will pay people to download the firmware for their PS3s for them
and the same one that will buy the new iPhone and iPad just because everyone else is
and the same one that will ban videogames because they might hurt "little timmy"

saying "sometimes people are stupid" is an understatement regarding the human race.

we're all stupid. no one is exempt from this :/

OT: perhaps this person should realize that there are whores of all genders and orientations. and making a gay man a whore should be no less offensive than making a straight man one.