Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

Ell Jay

Jun 3, 2009
Funny, having played through DA2 two and a half times now, I don't get the impression of any characters as strictly "gay"... they just seem like people who are willing to find love (or pleasure, Isabela) wherever they can. Isn't that beyond the hetero-/homosexual issue?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Okey, is this REALLY such a big deal? I mean..If I hit on you, and you turned me down, I'd be pretty upset too.
Where are the angry-feminist-mobs when you need them? I can think of several more on-the-spot criticisms for Dragon Age 2 concerning character design. Isabella and her giant knockers (every females giant knockers, come to think of it..Maybe Dragon Age just have better breedingstock?) comes to mind.

aeric90

Mar 31, 2010
Gah! I want to find and slap this guy with a trout worse than the representative for 'Straight Male Gamers'! As a gay gamer I'm happy that someone is writing gay characters in video games PERIOD. On top of all this it's obvious that Bioware took to heart the criticism we had about Zevran in the first Dragon Age with it's romance choices and changed things because of it. *fumes*

Mr. David Gaider, I can assure you that the great majority of us support you and your writing. Keep it up!!

Deathlisk

Feb 5, 2011
from what I remeber you got about 10 rivalry points. That is NOTHING, nad it was easy to get his devoted friendship anyways.
So dumb, someone should throw a sandwich at his face!!!

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Wow. Just wow. Let me get my tiny facepalm image.
There we go.
This is just stupid
homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us
And congratulations for stereotyping yourselves. What people should be able to understand is that the characters in this games react based on their given personality, not their sexuality.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Didn't Mass Effect 2 remove gay relationships? I know that ME1 had 'em.

Complain about that.

Anyway, I haven't gotten rivalry points for spurning the advances of either of them.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
ARE YOU SAYING GAY GAMERS ARE STUPID?!

WELL I'M SO ANGRY I'M GOING TO START A PETITION.

(Straight by the way, sorry guys :p) and yeah this whole thing is just pretty stupid.

BakuKuro

Apr 15, 2009
To mock the article:

As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I was delighted with the different depths of personalities with the characters. I was thrilled to see that while one of the homosexual male characters was sexual in nature, not unlike his predecessor Zevran, it was not his only trait. Likewise, other characters were not so sexual in nature which made up for it. I applaud the writer for including gay romances in gaming, which is stereotypically dominated by straight males, and leveling the playing field for everyone interested in the game. As in Dragon Age: Origins, I found myself wishing my male character could fall in love with a straight character and felt bad when it never happened. A game needs to have differences between personality types. Not everyone is bisexual, not everyone is a sex fiend, and not everyone sits with their legs crossed. Such is real life, and thank you, Dragon Age, for allowing players to have a choice about what kind of romance they want rather than being stuck with one they do not want.

tl;dr: Dragon Age isn't stereotyping, just giving a CHOICE of what kind of partner you want.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Irridium said:
Well yeah, Anders was really annoying. I remember a couple of times where he would talk to you, and then you'd have 2 heart responses and a big "x". Which was pretty stupid.

Then again all Bioware romances are pretty stupid and silly. After a couple conversations your companions believe you to be their true love. Come on Bioware, you can do better than that. Like with Baldur's Gate. Remember those romances? How they were deep, and intricate, and you had to work for them? How it wasn't just 3 conversations, then sex.

Just go back to that please. Much more interesting.
I do have to admit though that Dragon Age 2 goes a little closer to home than Dragon Age: Origins. Hell, I could Romance Morrigan the moment I hit Lothering. If I want to court Merrill, it takes at least until Act 2 - and I NEED to do her companion quest and have a few talks with her along the way.

It at least gives a facsimile of them being together a while (as 3 years pass between Act 1 and 2) but there is definitely more work to be done

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Isabela, Merrill, Anders, and Fenris can be romanced regardless of your sex. Therefore as a whole, the argument falls down. The only truly heterosexual character is Sebastian (I don't think he can be romanced by male Hawke).

However, Anders did hit on you five seconds after you met him, which did seem a little ridiculous...as did Isabella. The idea was to have extremes of personality and I can see how this could be misinterpreted. Also, since Anders and Isabella are bisexual, if they are romanced heterosexually, this could through twisted logic, be seen as portraying heterosexuals as promiscuous!

EDIT: It's not even like you jump into bed with any of the bisexual characters (maybe, Isabella, I haven't romanced her yet), the game takes place over many years!

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Although Fenris was OK when you turned him down he didn't stop. No fenris I'm still not gay, fuck off. ...(ten minutes later).... Goddamnint no! I'm not gay yet!

And the fact that both Fenris' and Anders' advances come out of nowhere without any hint that you're interested in them. Who does that!? The only people I can think of are sleazebags.

More importantly; ANDERS ISN'T GAY!

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
anyone else noticed the amusing pun in gaider surname
but yes humans are dicks no matter creed, colour or sexual orientation

Apr 28, 2008
Celtic_Kerr said:
Irridium said:
Well yeah, Anders was really annoying. I remember a couple of times where he would talk to you, and then you'd have 2 heart responses and a big "x". Which was pretty stupid.

Then again all Bioware romances are pretty stupid and silly. After a couple conversations your companions believe you to be their true love. Come on Bioware, you can do better than that. Like with Baldur's Gate. Remember those romances? How they were deep, and intricate, and you had to work for them? How it wasn't just 3 conversations, then sex.

Just go back to that please. Much more interesting.
I do have to admit though that Dragon Age 2 goes a little closer to home than Dragon Age: Origins. Hell, I could Romance Morrigan the moment I hit Lothering. If I want to court Merrill, it takes at least until Act 2 - and I NEED to do her companion quest and have a few talks with her along the way.

It at least gives a facsimile of them being together a while (as 3 years pass between Act 1 and 2) but there is definitely more work to be done
Yeah, they're definitely moving in the right direction with this, but they still need lots of work.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Oh look, someone else found something stupid to complain about.

Don't suppose we can all ignore this over-sensitive twat and let the issue drop?

No?

Shame...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So it is that a self-proclaimed "homosexual playing Dragon Age 2" has launched a petition [http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/FireDavidGaider/] calling for Gaider's dismissal because of the way he portrayed gays in the game as "unable to be normal people and think [about] nothing but sex."
The media portrays men as "unable to be normal people and think [about] nothing but sex." It's perhaps a stereotype, but it's not a gay stereotype.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Didn't Mass Effect 2 remove gay relationships? I know that ME1 had 'em.

Complain about that.

Anyway, I haven't gotten rivalry points for spurning the advances of either of them.
We must punish people for refusing gay advan- ALL GLORY TO THE HYPONOTOAD!