Gay Oreo Inspires Internet Outrage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gay Oreo Inspires Internet Outrage

Not everyone is happy with Oreo's support for gay rights on Facebook.

Oreo did its thing for Pride Week yesterday, posting a Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/oreo] status update with an image of a rainbow-colored Oreo cookie imposed over messages stating simply, "Proudly support love!" and "June 25/Pride." Nice, neat and to the point, and entirely unsurprisingly it attracted no small amount of publicity - some of it, sadly, rather less than complimentary.

Some of the negative comments claim to be frustrated by the politicization of the cookies, but most are a bit more straight-up anti-gay, like that of Janis Petron, who wrote, "You gay people make me sick, God made us to be man and women not gay or lesbian p.s. NO MORE OREOS." Or Cody Patterson, who said, "I can't support a business that supports gays." Aaron Foster described Oreo parent company Kraft as "Yet another liberal company destroying our religious values and teaching immorality," while Trevor Day pasted himself in the face with the Frying Pan of Unintentional Irony by stating, "Gays can all go kill them selves they are sinners and will burn in hell" while rocking a Neil Patrick Harris avatar. Mads Fjord pointed out the inevitable counter-campaign boycott, telling his Facebook followers, "Hate [homosexuals] so much. So many whose skulls I want to smash in with a hammer. I thank those who support this boycott and GOD BLESS AMERICA."

And yes, there is apparently some form of boycott going on, although the actual level of organization looks iffy at best - hardly a surprise to anyone who's seen the One Million Moms in action [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117453-One-Million-Moms-Fights-Gay-Superheroes]. Kraft, for its part, is unfazed, issuing a statement reiterating its support for gay rights.

"In recognition of Pride Month, Oreo created an ad depicting the Rainbow flag with different colors of Oreo crème. We are excited to illustrate what is making history today in a fun and playful way," the company said in a statement. "As a company, Kraft Foods has a proud history of celebrating diversity and inclusiveness. We feel the Oreo ad is a fun reflection of our values. "

The cynic in me insists that there's no small amount of savvy marketing at work in this campaign. After all, as evidenced by Ellen Degeneres, not to mention more than 175,000 (and growing) "likes" on Facebook, nothing gooses public support like a sliver of vicious backlash from homophobe morons on the internet. But at the same time, even if it is getting something out of it, how can anyone be critical of Oreo for standing up for a good cause? Unless they're a homophobe moron on the internet, that is.

But the worst thing about it all? Kraft isn't actually going to sell this six-layer rainbow monstrosity; it was made exclusively in honor of Pride Week.

Sources: Buzzfeed [http://mashable.com/2012/06/26/oreo-supports-gay-rights-on-facebook/]

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
That is the tastiest looking bit of 'controversy' I've ever seen.

And regardless of the motivations, good on Kraft.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
People who boycott a cookie company for religious beliefs are probably not entirely sane anyway.

Also, I'd so buy this rainbow Oreo if they ever made it.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
The haters choose to never eat Oreo's again? GOOD! More for me!

I think it is great that Oreo and Kraft are going this.

And I want that giant rainbow Oreo. Looks delicious.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I love Oreos but that looks a little gross, kinda glad they're not making that beast of a cookie.

Anyways, some people need to get over themselves and leave the cookie company alone.

If Kraft is actually making up those objections on Facebook, then well played.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
My first thought was "that looks delicious"... Also, good luck boycotting Oreos...

Second thought:
"Yet another liberal company destroying our religious values and teaching immorality" - yeah, the religious values that cause people to encourage people to kill themselves, and some to believe that an all-powerful, benign creator has something against homosexuals.... Going against that is certainly immoral, all right...

Comando96

May 26, 2009
My opinion of Kraft has improved to neutral! Good on your guys for taking this monumentous step of supporting the gays... risking half of your consumer base due to their parents refusing to buy the immoral gay supporting sweet thing...
I mean the only thing they can do wrong now is to fuck with Cadbury's, or keep profiting from neo-slavery in the growing of the coco beans in Africa >.>

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
The idea that people now hate Oreos because the company supports gay rights? Hilarious! The idea that I don't get to eat a six layered-rainbow colored Oreo? Disheartening. Get on it Oreo! I'll buy that shit in a heart beat!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
That's a rainbow I'd like to taste.

Now, where did I put my anti-homophobe bat...

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I think the real issue is that God made Oreos with one layer of filling. I don't want my children to be subjected to this kind of snack. They'll get diabetes.

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
"MOMMY~~ Can we get some Oreos please?"
"NO."
"Why not?"
"They support gays and are evil!"
"So gays and evil tastes awsome and goes good with milk?"

Yup, good luck with that folks.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Do want! That cookie looks delicious and that it could kill someone if thrown at them :p
also I would really like to see a company that's met with this sort of "opposition" or boycott to just tell all the haters to fuck off or something along those lines, that would really impress me. But seriously I don't get all the hate (seeing as how I don't understand crazies) but to the ones that bring up god, I know what he said about a man and a man laying together. But he also said don't judge you stupid hypocrites.
Also the hilarious irony at the guy bashing gays who has an NPH avatar. I almost fell off my chair laughing :p

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
that looks delicious.

Everyone knows that colored icing tastes better than white ones.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would love to see Kraft start making these. Each color could have a different taste.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I've never really noticed a big homophobic vibe in my area, so I always forget how difficult gays have it. It's a shame anyone has to put up with being threatened like that.

Still, at least Kraft haven't backed down (yet) so that's something good.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Quaxar said:
People who boycott a cookie company for religious beliefs are probably not entirely sane anyway.

Also, I'd so buy this rainbow Oreo if they ever made it.
6 layers of multicolour cream, who wouldn't?
Seeing this kind of ignorant blind rage makes me want to blindly go buy a box of Oreos.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Oh delicious irony at the guy with the NPH avatar. Almost as delicious as the 6 layer Oreo.

Crazy homophobs always give me a reason to smile... or to point my finger at them an laugh as hard as I can. Don't worry, I laugh at them, not with them. :D

Trekkie

Sep 21, 2008
Solo-Wing said:
The haters choose to never eat Oreo's again? GOOD! More for me!
you read my mind.

looking at this particular "rainbow Oreo" i can safely say it's not an appealing cookie (for me)

however good execution to show your support :)