Gay Oreo Inspires Internet Outrage

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
People... hate a cookie.

People are hating a cookie.

They are showing their hate... of a cookie...

Yeah, I'm trying to get my head around this hate of cookies and their manufacturer, but...

People are boycotting... a cookie... Yeah, sorry, I don't think I can understand it. Are we sure they know it's a company that makes cookies? Has anyone asked them? Maybe they made a mistake. Let's ask them. Because they can't be angry at a cookie company.

Man, now I want Oreos.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
You've honestly never heard the phrase before? Thats surprising. I'll put it in simpler terms. I find it highly irritating that people push causes in ways like this where it has to be everywhere, everyone has to support it, scream it from the rooftops or they're horrible people. I really don't like what causes do to people. You are either in favor of something or you're a monster. The mob mentality is disgusting and the irony in this case is alot of the biggest supporters are people that aren't even homosexuals at all.
Posting a picture of a photoshopped Oreo on their facebook page is not shoving gay rights propaganda down people's throats, and no one is going to get mad at Keebler cookies for not posting up a gay rights cookie. This is not mob mentality, this is more akin to the breast cancer awareness ribbons then the lynch mobs that originated the saying.

Yes some people think the systematic removal of rights to the gay community is evil and will stop at nothing to get the word out, and to be honest I personally think anyone who believes an individual should have less rights based solely on their sexual preference IS a monster, but thats a different topic. What you have here is a large company doing a little act to show they are in support of the gay rights movement, and a bunch of Christian extremists blowing their shit out their ass because their preachers told them it's a direct attack on their religion, funny stuff.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I agree, to a point. You can gain a lot of support for openly supporting something such as gay pride, but you lose people too. Had Oreo remained neutral they could of had both sides, now they have only one. I believe this was partically marketing to attract a specific audience, but its not as big as you think.

Also that oreo would make the most disgusting color on your tongue I have ever seen.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Aaron Foster described Oreo parent company Kraft as "Yet another liberal company destroying our religious values and teaching immorality," while Trevor Day pasted himself in the face with the Frying Pan of Unintentional Irony by stating, "Gays can all go kill them selves they are sinners and will burn in hell" while rocking a Neil Patrick Harris avatar.
Once again. Religion. Poisons. Everything.

I swear this is exactly like the hubbub that J.C. Penny's started with their same sex couple's ad's. If those religious gay-bashers will really stick to their guns and boycott whatever food/store supports gay marriage/right to be, than we are in the money!
ALL stores and ALL food companies should support the gay community, that way all the boycotting gay-haters will have nothing to eat, nothing to wear and nothing to drink. They will slowly starve to death!

It's brilliant, hang on, I am going to call some major food companies. BRB...

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
NiPah said:
Harbinger_ said:
You've honestly never heard the phrase before? Thats surprising. I'll put it in simpler terms. I find it highly irritating that people push causes in ways like this where it has to be everywhere, everyone has to support it, scream it from the rooftops or they're horrible people. I really don't like what causes do to people. You are either in favor of something or you're a monster. The mob mentality is disgusting and the irony in this case is alot of the biggest supporters are people that aren't even homosexuals at all.
Posting a picture of a photoshopped Oreo on their facebook page is not shoving gay rights propaganda down people's throats, and no one is going to get mad at Keebler cookies for not posting up a gay rights cookie. This is not mob mentality, this is more akin to the breast cancer awareness ribbons then the lynch mobs that originated the saying.

Yes some people think the systematic removal of rights to the gay community is evil and will stop at nothing to get the word out, and to be honest I personally think anyone who believes an individual should have less rights based solely on their sexual preference IS a monster, but thats a different topic. What you have here is a large company doing a little act to show they are in support of the gay rights movement, and a bunch of Christian extremists blowing their shit out their ass because their preachers told them it's a direct attack on their religion, funny stuff.
I was referring to the people posting in the comments not the company itself. I was also referring to causes in general except for the last. As a Christian who isn't an extremist as you so eloquently put it, my opinion is that I don't know if it's sinful or not and it's not for me to decide.

One thing to note is that there are people that just don't like homosexuals, it's not always religiously fueled and when it is its not always Christians.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Zack Alklazaris said:
I agree, to a point. You can gain a lot of support for openly supporting something such as gay pride, but you lose people too. Had Oreo remained neutral they could of had both sides, now they have only one. I believe this was partically marketing to attract a specific audience, but its not as big as you think.

Also that oreo would make the most disgusting color on your tongue I have ever seen.
"No such thing as bad press"

Yeah a handful of extraordinarily butthurt religious zealots might "boycott" their product, but think of all the people who are now thinking and talking about Oreo cookies.

Even if they're not consciously deciding that they want to support the company, they have the brand name in their head now, and it might come up the next time they're looking for a snack.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Alright so I don't really follow modern religions because they're boring and kind of stupid, especially compared to the cooler ones like the mythologies of ancient Greece and Egypt, but if I'm correct, the religions these people follow say not to hate an vilify people, right? I thought their Gods made all people how he thought they should be, and as such, doesn't really hate anyone, except the bad guys- demons and etc. This sort of stupidity seems so blatantly stupid that it shouldn't even exist. But if there is one thing that the average human can accomplish, it's setting a new standard for idiocy.

OT: Captcha = Easy as cake. Kind of want to eat that cookie now.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Equal rights is going to take something along the lines of the suffragette movement in scope. (I'm talking ALL equality, gender, race, sexuality etc) because now we've got to this weird double standards point. Where nothing is truly equal, but people like to pretend it is.

Though, I'd like to meet that Mads Fjord in person though, see if his words are quite as tough.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
I was referring to the people posting in the comments not the company itself. I was also referring to causes in general except for the last. As a Christian who isn't an extremist as you so eloquently put it, my opinion is that I don't know if it's sinful or not and it's not for me to decide.

One thing to note is that there are people that just don't like homosexuals, it's not always religiously fueled and when it is its not always Christians.
Ah sorry then, ignore that bit of my post then.
As for people not liking homosexuals, again basing a judgment on an individual or group of people solely based on their sexual preference is idiotic, acting on such beliefs puts you into the monster category.

Yeah sadly Christianity has become the scapegoat in most of these situations, thats mostly due to my US background and general lack of knowledge of the situation in other locals. Christianity also gets called due to it's more vocal lobby groups and influence on the so called Christian Right political party. I know the Muslim faith has a horrible side when it comes to homosexuality, also I don't know about the Jewish or Scientologists out there (or any of the other billions of religions).

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I can't even bring myself to be angry or outraged over such a thing. All I feel is shame and pity for the kind of people that would get up in arms over as quaint a gesture.

It's an ugly thing to say, but I'll be grateful when the generation most largely composed of bigots and self-righteous assholes has finally run out of time on this planet and passes on. They'll get to feel like they saved the world by being a bunch of twats, and their hateful, dated ideologies dedicated to demonizing people whom they know nothing about can slowly fade away from the minds of those that remain.

That Greek Guy

Jul 29, 2009
Well lets try and make an oposing force by buying oreos today.
All of you run to the nearest store and buy some cookies.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Unsilenced said:
Zack Alklazaris said:

"No such thing as bad press"

Yeah a handful of extraordinarily butthurt religious zealots might "boycott" their product, but think of all the people who are now thinking and talking about Oreo cookies.

Even if they're not consciously deciding that they want to support the company, they have the brand name in their head now, and it might come up the next time they're looking for a snack.
I'm not sure if we know just how many "butthurt religious zealots" there are. When Obama said he supported gay marriage his poll numbers dropped in some areas mainly in the Christians and Baptist communities. Those are huge numbers considering this is an unofficial Christian country.

Though I do admit I do have Oreos on my mind now... still wouldn't eat that rainboy oreo.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
NiPah said:
Harbinger_ said:

Ah sorry then, ignore that bit of my post then.
As for people not liking homosexuals, again basing a judgment on an individual or group of people solely based on their sexual preference is idiotic, acting on such beliefs puts you into the monster category.

Yeah sadly Christianity has become the scapegoat in most of these situations, thats mostly due to my US background and general lack of knowledge of the situation in other locals. Christianity also gets called due to it's more vocal lobby groups and influence on the so called Christian Right political party. I know the Muslim faith has a horrible side when it comes to homosexuality, also I don't know about the Jewish or Scientologists out there (or any of the other billions of religions).
Actually my old roommate was a religious studies student, there are alot of religions with a bone to pick regarding Homosexuality. As for the people not liking homosexuality it's hard to say, there are always different opinions and different reasons.

In my opinion they (homosexuals) should have equal rights. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. Personally I'm uncomfortable around homosexuals whether they are male or female but that is due to negative experiences I experienced in my youth and through high school. I'm sure that the vast majority are as nice as anyone else.

That being said to those that don't believe that they should have equal rights I propose this: Say they have equal rights and find in the afterlife (If you believe in one or whatever variation you have faith in.) it turns out that homosexuality is sinful, then the act of doing so rather than the thought constitutes the sin IMO sort of like in the justice system where a crime is not thinking about it but the action of committing it.

And of course if it's not sinful and everything is cool then no muss, no fuss.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Trevor Day pasted himself in the face with the Frying Pan of Unintentional Irony by stating, "Gays can all go kill them selves they are sinners and will burn in hell" while rocking a Neil Patrick Harris avatar
Most hilarious thing I've read all day!
Seriously though, that looks waaaay too sugary for my taste, too many layers, too much sugar, that just can't be good for you. XD
But yeah, apparently, some people skipped the "love thy neighbor" and the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" lessons... I'm not all that religious, but I'm pretty sure that's not following the "WWJD" philosophy.

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
I think it's sad that some people are oblivious enough to think that Kraft is taking a principled stance here. They're a corporation and they only care about money. If you publicly claim to support gay rights, you'll get more people cheering for you than booing you. I'm sure they've done the research ahead of time to see whether the rainbow oreo thing would be likely to lose them money or earn money.

If a social movement in support of incest was gaining widespread mainstream recognition, I have no doubt Kraft would "support" that instead.

If you read the article and said "Good on them, I'm going to buy Oreos tomorrow in support of this," then you've just fallen for a a cleverly disguised ad campaign. Nothing more.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Nurb said:
This is why I'm no longer religious.

Scrolls written by bronze-age tribal savages that practiced deity-sanctioned genocide, rape and slavery translating into the modern age as rednecks becoming offended and outraged over a snack food producer owned by Phillip Morris (the cigarette manufacturer) proves it's all just a bunch of bullshit.

Then again... conservatives boycotting Kraft will be a good thing for them. The south won't be a mjority of overweight diabetics.
[/img]
Phillip Morris, or Altria or whatever they're called now, no longer own Kraft, haven't for a little while.
Dangit2019 said:
Do people even READ the Bible before they start screaming out prepared verses about the "sins" and "abominations" that are gay people apparently. Doesn't anyone remember "love your neighbor"? No? Well, crap.
I imagine they do, but considering how contradictory the bible is it's pretty easy to cherry pick just the parts that support your argument. For instance there's a couple of parts in Leviticus that say that gay sex is an abomination and that homosexuals wont get into heaven. The bible makes general statements about how we should love everyone, but then the next page condemns specific people. I guess that's the problem when you try write a several thousand page book to promote your views, its hard to be concise when making stuff up.

OT: This is brilliant. All these butthurt conservatives not buying Oreos because the parent company supports gay rights. I hope more companies come out in support of gays, then when they're all boycotted the idiots will die of starvation.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
00DUMB said:
The sad part is, this isn't even representative of anything Jesus (that guy who's the CHRIST in CHRISTianity) ever came remotely to touching on. I doubt he even cared, much less said anything about it. Oh well, just another reason why I refer to Christianity as "Churchism."
That's why I call it "Paulianity", as Paul seems to have shaped the beliefs and actions of modern Christians rather than Jesus or Christ.

And, regarding the picture, your pancreas is not ready for Hextuple Stuf Oreos!