Gay Scene Cut From UK Torchwood

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Is the scene important to the narrative or just shoved in for impact?

If it is the former then they should not have removed it if it is the latter then who gives a damn.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Its because it's moved to an earlier time slot which is why the scene was cut not because of 'BBC conservative censorship'.

The other two series of Torchwood has lots of sex (gay or otherwise) in it and British TV has always been really liberal about stuff like this.
The first pre-watershed lesbian kiss was shown in 1994 (ah Brookside/Anna Friel) and Russel T Davies did Queer as Folk in the late 90's (10pm+).

So again, its not "ahhhh bums!" but "bums? at this time? This wont do!"

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Ickorus said:
Is the scene important to the narrative or just shoved in for impact?

If it is the former then they should not have removed it if it is the latter then who gives a damn.
(not just to you)

I always find this argument interesting in regards to male nudity. If this had been two 'hawt' females, or some hot womans naked bum.

Would it be just 'shoved in for shock value'?

Thank about it for a sec.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Mark Flanagan said:
Its because it's moved to an earlier time slot which is why the scene was cut not because of 'BBC conservative censorship'.

The other two series of Torchwood has lots of sex (gay or otherwise) in it and British TV has always been really liberal about stuff like this.
The first pre-watershed lesbian kiss was shown in 1994 (ah Brookside/Anna Friel) and Russel T Davies did Queer as Folk in the late 90's (10pm+).

If the blurb in the OP is to be believed, it would've aired 20 minutes after the 9pm watershed.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
If I was in charge at the Beeb, I would keep it on, prepare myself for the complaints, and then if any came along (given it's an adult show, being shown AFTER THE FUCKING WATERSHED, PEOPLE!?!) I would simply unleash wityh a well prepared argument on exactly why such scenes should be allowed on TV, considering it's being shown to adults who can make up their own minds. Anyone complaining about the 'gay' content would have their letters piled up (or a computer with their emails stored) in front of a camera, and then lit on fire by me in a live press conference as I pour scorn on the homophobia of the idiots.

Thing is, we're adults. We can make up our own minds about things, we don't need Auntie Beeb to protect us. Though I do find it somewhat amusing that, given how often the UK shows scenes that are cut from the US broadcasts due to fear of the Conservative fundamentalists complaining, for once it's completely the other way around.

I just hope that it all gets included on the DVD release here in the UK, because I tend to prefer my TV shows free of censorship. I'm all for free speech but there's certainly a time and a place to censor things appropriately. This is not it.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Dags90 said:
Mark Flanagan said:

If the blurb in the OP is to be believed, it would've aired 20 minutes after the 9pm watershed.
From Wikipedia said:
According to Ofcom, the watershed on standard television in the UK starts at 9:00 p.m.,[7] and finishes at 5:30 a.m. the next morning. Programmes that are 15+ are shown during this period. However, some 12+ shows can be shown before 09:00 p.m., such as The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle and Doctor Who. On premium film or pay-per-view services requiring a subscription, the watershed starts at 8:00 p.m. However, 12, 15 and 18 rated films can be shown on PIN protected channels (such as Sky Movies) at any time of the day. Viewers are required to enter their PIN to view. There should be a gentle transition to adult material,[8] and 18-rated material is not allowed to be shown before 10:00 p.m.

Even though the original Torchwood was a 15 it was shown at 10pm (gay sex and all) so I think that because they've moved it to 9pm they've had to drop some of the sexual content.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
no hariy bobbing man ass in the show?

well, i was never a fan at the best of times. this would not be the best of times.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
I am disgusted to see this happen. If we are allowed to see Hetrosexual couples do the same thing on screen, then why is different for Bi-sexual or homosexual couples.

Why is it we must be protected from these things, that really is quite harmless. The Beeb lose 50 respect points from me.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
Lets give them that avalanche of complaints they are fearing... Complaints against them cutting the scene.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Honestly I'm more offended that they're discriminating against a subculture of people than I am that there is 'gay' on TV.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Michael Flick said:
Who cares? We censor everything here other then premium channels like HBO, even our news channels are censored and biased to hell.
What? If I'm not very, very much mistaken TV news channels in Britain aren't *allowed* to be biased (or at least blatantly biased, you can't really stop slight leaning in one direction) because we say that the TV is literally being streamed into your house, and you shouldn't have opinions you object to being taken straight to you (or something like that), whereas newspapers can be as biased as they want because people have to actually buy newspapers (e.g. many newspapers run campaigns about why you should vote for Labour or LibDem or whatever, TV news can't do that.)

I may be totally wrong there though, who knows.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Mark Flanagan said:
Dags90 said:
Mark Flanagan said:

From Wikipedia said:
According to Ofcom, the watershed on standard television in the UK starts at 9:00 p.m.,[7] and finishes at 5:30 a.m. the next morning. Programmes that are 15+ are shown during this period. However, some 12+ shows can be shown before 09:00 p.m., such as The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle and Doctor Who. On premium film or pay-per-view services requiring a subscription, the watershed starts at 8:00 p.m. However, 12, 15 and 18 rated films can be shown on PIN protected channels (such as Sky Movies) at any time of the day. Viewers are required to enter their PIN to view. There should be a gentle transition to adult material,[8] and 18-rated material is not allowed to be shown before 10:00 p.m.

Even though the original Torchwood was a 15 it was shown at 10pm (gay sex and all) so I think that because they've moved it to 9pm they've had to drop some of the sexual content.
Aha! I knew it wasn't because the BBC had given into homophobes, excellent news. Oh BBC, as if you could do any wrong :p

Edit: I'd also like to point out that The Sun and other tabloids don't like the BBC and might (note the might, I can't prove anything) have slanted this article to make it seem like the BBC was homophobic. Just bear that in mind, while I go see if the Guardian or some paper like that has anything about this.

Double Edit: Right, found something on ATV news
http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1618:bbc-cuts-torchwood-gay-sex-scene&catid=5:lgbt&Itemid=11
^This says that it is because it's so soon after the watershed.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
the whole watershead thing has always been a bit of a blury line in what you can show. i dont think it was ever supposed to be, right 9pm is here so anything goes. it was after 9pm more adult shows start but slowly the odd kiss and steamy scene but with no flesh. then after an hour or so you might get a bit of boob or bum.

it might just be the time it was set to show, 20 min after the watershead you dont really expect to see anything to racey.

Chirez

Feb 14, 2009
I have checked, to be certain. The program airs at 9pm, which is the watershed time. It's post watershed, and therefore can't be argued on that basis.

The 'program for the majority' argument is awful. Do that and you end up with every show exactly the same, bland and boring.

Well done to the US network for showing the full thing, though I'm unfamiliar with the position of Starz in the overall scheme of US TV. For the BBC, such an action would be shameful, though without more and more detailed information I'm reluctant to make any bold denouncement.

There may have been a reason, I've heard nothing that sounds like a good one.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Chirez said:
I have checked, to be certain. The program airs at 9pm, which is the watershed time. It's post watershed, and therefore can't be argued on that basis.

The 'program for the majority' argument is awful. Do that and you end up with every show exactly the same, bland and boring.

Well done to the US network for showing the full thing, though I'm unfamiliar with the position of Starz in the overall scheme of US TV. For the BBC, such an action would be shameful, though without more and more detailed information I'm reluctant to make any bold denouncement.

There may have been a reason, I've heard nothing that sounds like a good one.
Techinically after 9pm in Britain 15+ shows can be aired, only after 10pm can you have 18+

That's the reason for it apparently.

Chirez

Feb 14, 2009
orangeban said:
Techinically after 9pm in Britain 15+ shows can be aired, only after 10pm can you have 18+

That's the reason for it apparently.
Ah, yes, my research was too cursory it seems. Thankyou for the correction. Also, never trust the Sun.