Gay Scene Cut From UK Torchwood

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
orangeban said:
Mark Flanagan said:
Dags90 said:
Mark Flanagan said:
Its because it's moved to an earlier time slot which is why the scene was cut not because of 'BBC conservative censorship'.

The other two series of Torchwood has lots of sex (gay or otherwise) in it and British TV has always been really liberal about stuff like this.
The first pre-watershed lesbian kiss was shown in 1994 (ah Brookside/Anna Friel) and Russel T Davies did Queer as Folk in the late 90's (10pm+).

So again, its not "ahhhh bums!" but "bums? at this time? This wont do!"
If the blurb in the OP is to be believed, it would've aired 20 minutes after the 9pm watershed.
From Wikipedia said:
According to Ofcom, the watershed on standard television in the UK starts at 9:00 p.m.,[7] and finishes at 5:30 a.m. the next morning. Programmes that are 15+ are shown during this period. However, some 12+ shows can be shown before 09:00 p.m., such as The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle and Doctor Who. On premium film or pay-per-view services requiring a subscription, the watershed starts at 8:00 p.m. However, 12, 15 and 18 rated films can be shown on PIN protected channels (such as Sky Movies) at any time of the day. Viewers are required to enter their PIN to view. There should be a gentle transition to adult material,[8] and 18-rated material is not allowed to be shown before 10:00 p.m.

Even though the original Torchwood was a 15 it was shown at 10pm (gay sex and all) so I think that because they've moved it to 9pm they've had to drop some of the sexual content.
Aha! I knew it wasn't because the BBC had given into homophobes, excellent news. Oh BBC, as if you could do any wrong :p

Edit: I'd also like to point out that The Sun and other tabloids don't like the BBC and might (note the might, I can't prove anything) have slanted this article to make it seem like the BBC was homophobic. Just bear that in mind, while I go see if the Guardian or some paper like that has anything about this.

Double Edit: Right, found something on ATV news
http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1618:bbc-cuts-torchwood-gay-sex-scene&catid=5:lgbt&Itemid=11
^This says that it is because it's so soon after the watershed.
I feel compelled to quote this so people will stop ragging on about how "biased" my freaking country is supposed to be. When I was a lot younger my bedtime, along with most other people in my year, was 10PM, so this makes a lot of sense to me.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Dags90 said:
Stormpigeon said:
As proved by the whole "Heinz Beanz" advert thing (for those who don't know, two gay guys kissed in the advert, about 10 people complained, it was axed, and THOUSANDS complained that it had been axed) I'm fairly sure the UK is ready for something like this.
Over 200 people in Britland complained that this ad was "offensive".

It's ridiculous. People are just scared they might actually find John Barrowman's bum attractive.
People in Britain are soooooooo scared of being seen as offensive its actually kind of funny. 200 people is nothing, this advert is awesome, the BBC are idiots, only old people still watch BBC channels... which is proberly why this was seen as offensive.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
TimeLord said:
Quote from The Sun newspaper (sorry, only source I could find)

One of the most sexually explicit scenes ever filmed for a TV drama has been torched from Torchwood.

Bisexual Captain Jack Harkness has a gay romp with a barman. The scene, which includes shots of Jack's naked bum, was filmed for the third episode of Miracle Day would have gone out 20minutes after the 9pm UK watershed.
It has already been shown on the US cable channel Starz, which co-funded the drama. But shocked Beeb bosses have cut it from the BBC1 version, fearing an avalanche of complaints from viewers.

Last night, the BBC confirmed the scene had been axed along with another gruesome scene later in the series.
Apparently the BBC and Starz have "very different audiences" according to the BBC.
While the BBC maintain that this doesn't change the story in the slightest, I am rather offended that the show has to be toned down for us British. The sad thing is, if it was aired in the UK then there probably would be complaints.
So you compared Gay sex to a "Gruesome scene" ohhhh I thought you were better then this

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
PunkRex said:
Dags90 said:
Stormpigeon said:
As proved by the whole "Heinz Beanz" advert thing (for those who don't know, two gay guys kissed in the advert, about 10 people complained, it was axed, and THOUSANDS complained that it had been axed) I'm fairly sure the UK is ready for something like this.

It's ridiculous. People are just scared they might actually find John Barrowman's bum attractive.
People in Britain are soooooooo scared of being seen as offensive its actually kind of funny. 200 people is nothing, this advert is awesome, the BBC are idiots, only old people still watch BBC channels... which is proberly why this was seen as offensive.
Only old people watch BBC channels? Bwuh?
Look, people watch the BBC for many reasons, maybe for it's news, which at least tries to be impartial and unbiased. I would confidently call it the best news channel in the world, but that's just my opinion.
They also watch it for excellent TV shows, such as Doctor Who (which is watched by millions for goodness sake) and Top Gear (which is hardly catered towards old people).
And what about CBBC and Cbeebies? Both sections of the BBC aimed squarely at kids. Your comment is very odd.

I don't see how British people are scared of being seen as offensive. Never heard of that before.

And the Torchwood episode was censored because it was being run too early to have sex scenes in it, not because the sex scenes were of a homosexual nature.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Spaggiari said:
Notice how they say

"Last night, the BBC confirmed the scene had been axed along with another gruesome scene later in the series."

They refer to the scene as 'gruesome', which the dictionary tells me means 'a cause of shock; ghastly'. What kind of paper is this 'The Sun' to use such outright offensive
An incredibly shit one, and widely regarded as such. Fun fact, the Sun is run by news mogul Rupert Murdoch, who also owns News of the World, a paper that recently shut down because it was hacking peoples voicemail. He also owns Fox News. So yeah, it's a real crappy newspaper.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It wouldn't have had complaints. How can you say that when every TV soap resorts to a gay love story the second ratings drop even slightly?

Fact is however, Torchwood is a show with a large younger audience, and anything overly graphic would have been cut. Hence the violence as well. The US is a different culture and I can't comment on the viewing age of something like Torchwood.

It's a bit ridiculous Torchwood have had to do this at all. I understand that ratings were poor, but this is a pretty sad attempt to boost it's profile. How very Eastenders

EDIT: And, as someone has also mentioned, the US Channel is subscription based, as opposed to the primary public broadcaster of the entire country

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
its not the UK though, its the BBC. watch Sirens on channel 4, last nights episode was about the two gay main characters.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Verlander said:
It wouldn't have had complaints. How can you say that when every TV soap resorts to a gay love story the second ratings drop even slightly?

Fact is however, Torchwood is a show with a large younger audience, and anything overly graphic would have been cut. Hence the violence as well. The US is a different culture and I can't comment on the viewing age of something like Torchwood.

It's a bit ridiculous Torchwood have had to do this at all. I understand that ratings were poor, but this is a pretty sad attempt to boost it's profile. How very Eastenders

EDIT: And, as someone has also mentioned, the US Channel is subscription based, as opposed to the primary public broadcaster of the entire country
Huh? Torchwood has featured gay people from the start, this isn't some new thing designed to boost ratings. And it's aimed at older audieneces, 15+
And it might of had complaints, post 9pm but before 10pm is supposed to be fit viewing for 15+ and I can see how parents might not want their 15 year olds seeing a sex act.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
When something gets banned from TV, my immediate reaction is to go watch it, and I know I'm not alone in that. Censorship is silly, not to mention it happens to be a bit of a dick move in this case.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
orangeban said:
PunkRex said:
Dags90 said:
Stormpigeon said:

Look, people watch the BBC for many reasons, maybe for it's news, which at least tries to be impartial and unbiased. I would confidently call it the best news channel in the world, but that's just my opinion.
They also watch it for excellent TV shows, such as Doctor Who (which is watched by millions for goodness sake) and Top Gear (which is hardly catered towards old people).
And what about CBBC and Cbeebies? Both sections of the BBC aimed squarely at kids. Your comment is very odd.

I don't see how British people are scared of being seen as offensive. Never heard of that before.

And the Torchwood episode was censored because it was being run too early to have sex scenes in it, not because the sex scenes were of a homosexual nature.
Guy its 20 minutes after watershed, anythings fair game.
As for the BBC, yeah its news is the best in the world... proberly, I havnt seen to many other news channels in different countires. I know the BBCs got alot of stuff going on, many of which is good, I was just "spouting", I take it back.

The Shadowlord

Jul 18, 2011
Given the fact that, in my opinion, Torchwood became awful and stale around the time of Children of Earth, I really couldn't care less. The shows forgotten it's a spin off of Doctor Who and is now trying to be a big, incredibly long winded Action movie. The problem is, what made Torchwood good, was that it was an older form of Doctor Who. There was a new alien a week, that was targeting Cardiff for some reason, and it was focused on being emotional and developing already interesting characters. Now, it's just a matter of seeing how many explosions they can fit into an episode, as they chase the same storyline for ten episodes. I mean come on, ten episodes about how people can't die. How the heck are they meant to carry this on without it becoming incredibly boring?

*Steps off soapbox.* Anyway, now that my rant is over, I find myself asking what the BBC is scared of. In the first two series, EVERY character had a homosexual experience. Surely if there's anyone who's really going to get offended by this, they should have done the research and stayed away from the "infamous" Torchwood.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Michael Flick said:
orangeban said:
Michael Flick said:
Who cares? We censor everything here other then premium channels like HBO, even our news channels are censored and biased to hell.
What? If I'm not very, very much mistaken TV news channels in Britain aren't *allowed* to be biased (or at least blatantly biased, you can't really stop slight leaning in one direction) because we say that the TV is literally being streamed into your house, and you shouldn't have opinions you object to being taken straight to you (or something like that), whereas newspapers can be as biased as they want because people have to actually buy newspapers (e.g. many newspapers run campaigns about why you should vote for Labour or LibDem or whatever, TV news can't do that.)

I may be totally wrong there though, who knows.
I'm talking about America, the country I live in.
Oh, sorry, I apologise for that, bit of a confused rant.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
orangeban said:
Verlander said:

Huh? Torchwood has featured gay people from the start, this isn't some new thing designed to boost ratings. And it's aimed at older audieneces, 15+
And it might of had complaints, post 9pm but before 10pm is supposed to be fit viewing for 15+ and I can see how parents might not want their 15 year olds seeing a sex act.
I get the feeling you misread what I wrote. I was slating the "overly graphic" nature of the cut scene. In fact, by pointing out that it was openly homo-friendly, you have helped prove my initial point.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
PunkRex said:
orangeban said:
PunkRex said:
Dags90 said:
Stormpigeon said:

Guy its 20 minutes after watershed, anythings fair game.
As for the BBC, yeah its news is the best in the world... proberly, I havnt seen to many other news channels in different countires. I know the BBCs got alot of stuff going on, many of which is good, I was just "spouting", I take it back.
Well, thanks for being a good sport about it, but I will say that things are only "fair game" after 10pm, at 9pm things get a little more mature, but there is still an age rating. Someone above has the details in their post.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Really, the scene appears gratuitous. I don't feel the need to show gratuitous content "because we can". That's not good justification.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Verlander said:
orangeban said:
Verlander said:

I get the feeling you misread what I wrote. I was slating the "overly graphic" nature of the cut scene. In fact, by pointing out that it was openly homo-friendly, you have helped prove my initial point.
Oh, okay, fair enough then. I was just saying that I don't think the gay sex scene is an attempt to raise ratings, more part of Captain Jack's character, but I guess we won't see till the episode comes out.