GayGamer Gets Hacked

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
GayGamer Gets Hacked

Videogame site GayGamer goes down for a weekend after a string of hateful hacking invasions.

GayGamer [http://www.gaygamer.net/], a videogame website for the homosexual community, got ganked this weekend by a team of hackers who utilized denial-of-service (DoS) attacks (a set of techniques which renders the website inoperable to users) to strain the GoDaddy servers until the site was pulled down. The attacks began Wednesday as the assailants caused outages and timeouts while they abused the available bandwidth to the site. After blocking their IP addresses, a Philidelphia attacker flooded the site's forums with massive image files and death threats.

GayGamer's statement during the site outage read:
[blockquote]
Hello, faithful readers:

As you might have noticed, we have had some connection issues in the last few days and now the site is completely down. I'm sad to say that we have been the target of homophobic hackers. Thankfully, they didn't get to our database so all of our stuff is still in tact. At this point we are jut waiting for our service provider to ensure everything is good before putting the server back online.

Hopefully, this will be resolved by the end of this weekend, so please keep checking back. You can't keep a good gay gamer down, so we'll be back before you know it, serving up all the sassy game content you can handle.

Cheers,
Fruit Brute
[/blockquote]

Now that the site has returned, GayGamer writer The Boy Blunder addressed the issue in within a normal daily post. The Boy Blunder writes, "Many of you know that our site has been down because of an attack. Which sucks, because I had a lot to write about Quakecon. But it gave me time to reflect on why these things happen and how I am supposed to react to it. The most important lesson I learned from comics though relates to hatred. I learned that any group that is sufficiently different is a target for ignorance. Skin color, sexuality, mutant abilities, whatever the cause, if you are different, you will be hated. You see, gay people tend to love superheroes because we get it. We know what is like to hide your True Identity (tm). The need to blend in, the protection of banality. But it is a lie. We are different, and we're hated because of it."

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/gaming/crime/gaygamer-target-of-hate-crime-286127.php]

The Random One

May 29, 2008
aegis7 said:
"and death threats."

I hadn't realized that it escalated that far.
Welcome to the internet, where death threats are the equivalent of saying hello.

I wonder what goes by the hackers' heads. Do they think that if they shut down the site gay gamers will leave his precious internet? Fortunately it looks like it was fixed quickly enough, as is to be expected of a big, professional site.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
There's a website for gay gamers? I did not know that.

Off topic, I'm straight, but don't particularly care for homophobic bigots like these hackers.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
That is really sad.

I hate hackers. They drag nerds down by existing.

I'm glad to hear the site was fixed quickly though.

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
wow that kinda makes me wanna puke, why spend your time hating on people because they're different, what a waste.

Oh i forgot i its the internet!

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
How do they know the attacks were Homophobiclly charged? A website I used to work for got taken down by DoS Attacks but we weren't part of any minority.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
I think calling them "hackers" gives them too much credit, as hacking generally implies some sort of skill with computers. The people ultimately behind this probably just rented a botnet for a while.

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
Wait, there is a site specifically made for gay gamers? Why am I the least bit surprised?

That sucks for them. It's unfortunate that such bigotry even exists in this day and age, especially on the Internet. You go to one of these websites thinking everything is cool, then some a-hole has to come crash your party.

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
Robert0288 said:
I don't see how this is news. Somones always being DoS'd for one reason or another.
Because it happened to a minority. I agree with you, but because it happened to the gay community it's important (for some reason).

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
There's a website for gay gamers? I did not know that.

Off topic, I'm straight, but don't particularly care for homophobic bigots like these hackers.
i did not know this either
i didnt really think being gay affected a game.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I'm surprised nobody realized this article is 3 years old now. I remember reading this all the way back then too.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
So do gay gamers play games like Muscle March? Or are they just like straight gamers? I can't imagine why they would have their own site for gay-related video game discussion... but whatever.

Shame they got hacked.

Eerors

Jan 31, 2010
DethVanXan said:
Because it happened to a minority. I agree with you, but because it happened to the gay community it's important (for some reason).
I think it is treated as news because...

Logan Frederick said:
After blocking their IP addresses, a Philidelphia attacker flooded the site's forums with massive image files and death threats.
If it was just another DoS attack then why do this afterwards? To me this suggests a hate crime, which is news worthy.

I should hope that any community , not just the LGBTQ group, that is on the receiving end of an attack would have been reported.

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
Eerors said:
DethVanXan said:
I think it is treated as news because...

Logan Frederick said:
After blocking their IP addresses, a Philidelphia attacker flooded the site's forums with massive image files and death threats.
If it was just another DoS attack then why do this afterwards? To me this suggests a hate crime, which is news worthy.

I should hope that any community , not just the LGBTQ group, that is on the receiving end of an attack would have been reported.
Ah. I didn't see that.