GDC 2008: Rebooting LucasArts

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
GDC 2008: Rebooting LucasArts

"If we were an independent developer," said Haden Blackman, LucasArts Project Lead, "any one of those risks would have raised huge doubts to a publisher." But not to Lucas, who basically said, and I paraphrase: "Eh, go for it."

Read Full Article

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
"Now that we know the inner workings of both platforms, it's important for the next project we use the PS3 as the baseline."
What exactly does this mean/imply?
Yeah, really. It's incredibly ambiguous, could mean anything from "we think the PS3 market is more important" to "the PS3 is trickier to code for, so we need to work on it first" to "the 360 can handle anything we throw at the PS3" or "use highest res uncompressed textures for PS3 first to get full effect and cut it down/compress it for 360".
In other words, fanboys on both sides of the divide are going to be putting words in his mouth now by reading in their own meanings, but he probably considered making an inscrutable proclamation with some kind of obscured meaning better than directly pissing off MS or Sony.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
So basically they were trying to do what Bioware already did with KOTOR, only without all the smart-clever-funny game designers they haven't had in 10 years or so.

If you need George Lucas to tell you your game idea sucks, I'd say they really did need some humbling. But I guess they had to get the "superhero wookie" idea out of their system before they came to the good stuff.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
My LucasInterperator may be broken, but the message I got goes as follows:

"We are going to reinvent ourselves, so we're going to do that by creating yet another star wars game because the franchise hasn't been completely milked to death by this point"

Yawn, wake me up when they restart full throttle 2. They had their shot at Sam and Max 2 and blew it.