GDC 2009: Nintendo Announces New Zelda DS Game

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

Nintendo teased a new Zelda game during Satoru Iwata's keynote at the Game Developer's Conference.

Called The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, it features the same art style as Phantom Hourglass, and is due out for the DS later this year. We only got to see a brief video, but it looks like Link is trading in his boat for a train. We saw him toss a boomerang or two in the same way he did in Hourglass, but other than that, we'll just have to wait for more info. Do want!

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Very nice. I wasn't that much of a fan of the prior DS game due to its sparse world, but the gameplay was good. Overall it was very well presented and polished for Nintendos' first stab at a zelda game on a handheld for a while.

Looking forward to this.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

Nintendo teased a new Zelda game during Satoru Iwata's keynote at the Game Developer's Conference.

we'll just have to wait for more info. Do want!

Alternative go to wiki type zelda in find previous game click it read the plot and have all the info you will ever need :p

Also not rarely news since that like saying the sky is blue as Nintendo been doing that for the last 20 years and next 20 if we let them get away with it.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
Yesss. My worries are over.

My main fear for the DS was that Nintendo would keep upgrading the hardware, and keep the DS as their primary handheld console, but not bother releasing a second round of first party software.

I wonder if the next lot of Nintendo franchises will have specific DSi feature support. The new Wario Ware will, but I think that's for download in DS ware.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Booooo!

I thought Phantom Hourglass was one of the worst in the series, another one like it isn't good news for me.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
SecretTacoNinja said:
Booooo!

I thought Phantom Hourglass was one of the worst in the series, another one like it isn't good news for me.
Nah, Phantom Hourglass was pretty great. I'm a huge Zelda fan, and the only game that never really grabbed me was Wind Waker. It focused too heavily on collecting, and lacked the dungeons, and I felt it was weaker overall.

Wait, no, that's a lie. I didn't love Minish Cap either. That was the worst entry for me. Aside from switching size, it had nothing going for it. There too many of those cobblestone things, and no way to keep track of them. Really annoying.

But Phantom Hourglass was great. A little too easy, but going back to that one dungeon over and over was a new little change of pace for the Zelda series. Especially once you started getting the hang of it, and trying to get through the entire temple wasting as little time as possible.

I'm not sure I'm excited about Link riding a train. That's... unexpected, to say the least, and makes me concerned that Zelda is going to venture into places I really don't want it to go.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
CapnJack said:
SecretTacoNinja said:
Booooo!

Nah, Phantom Hourglass was pretty great. I'm a huge Zelda fan, and the only game that never really grabbed me was Wind Waker. It focused too heavily on collecting, and lacked the dungeons, and I felt it was weaker overall.

Wait, no, that's a lie. I didn't love Minish Cap either. That was the worst entry for me. Aside from switching size, it had nothing going for it. There too many of those cobblestone things, and no way to keep track of them. Really annoying.

But Phantom Hourglass was great. A little too easy, but going back to that one dungeon over and over was a new little change of pace for the Zelda series. Especially once you started getting the hang of it, and trying to get through the entire temple wasting as little time as possible.

I'm not sure I'm excited about Link riding a train. That's... unexpected, to say the least, and makes me concerned that Zelda is going to venture into places I really don't want it to go.
PH was... okay for me. I quite liked the sailing, the controls, the bosses. But compared to the other greats in the series, it was awful

Sir Drystan

Oct 9, 2008
Oh god a train.... /facepalm

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? The ship theme was awesome and I fully support any ventures in that direction but... a train? Really?

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
I have put my faith in Miyamoto so far and he has not led me astray.

Forgive me. I should not have despaired. This might actually make me get a DS.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Well, the franchise does seem to be heading in the direction of steampunk, and trains are a staple of that genre...

Personally, I like trains, so this looks pretty interesting.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
BlueTomfoolery said:
A.... train....?
Choo-choo!!
pimppeter2 said:
Koo-koo-ka-choo!!

....sorry, lost all control there.

Really though, a train? Link has finally entered the Steam Age? Gameplay revolving around a train is rarely, if ever a good sign. Trains need tracks, trains do not stray from said tracks, the lack of being able to explore the surrounding areas does not make me a happy camper.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
SecretTacoNinja said:
PH was... okay for me. I quite liked the sailing, the controls, the bosses. But compared to the other greats in the series, it was awful
Fair enough. You can't please everyone. I do think the Zelda series needs to find its footing, though. You can't just have one sort of game on the handhelds and another on the home console. I think there are aspects of both PH and TP that the developers would be wise to incorporate into future Zelda games.

I'd also love to see a mature, cell-shaded Zelda game. That would be awesome. TP in the vein of Prince of Persia.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I don't see a problem with a train. An issue with the boat was that you'd pretty much travel over a whole lot of nothing, with rails the pathes can be routed through more interesting areas and the travel possibly be kept more interesting. Of course it changes the way exploration works but there wasn't that much exploration in WW and PH anyway, in WW you had your grid and one island per square, without fail (so there could just as well be a rail leading there) and PH didn't have that much to discover IIRC.

Anyway, I always thought 2d Zelda is superior to 3d Zelda (in part because the combat is more controllable).