GDC Announces Game Developers Choice Award Nominees

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
doggie015 said:
I hope they scratch Journey off the lists because the devs stubbornly REFUSE to allow PC gamers and people that cannot afford a PS3 to play it!
Dude, they aren't refusing. flOw, Flower and Journey were part of a three-game deal with Sony. There was never, ever a chance for any of those games to appear on other platforms.

OT: As an avid fanboy of Journey (as I have not at all tried to keep secret) and thatgamecompany in general, I'm more than happy with the amount of nominations it got. Of course, it should win every single one. But the nominations are nice enough, I gu~ess.

Nomadiac

Jan 11, 2013
Mass Effect 3 had some terrible writing, particularly at the start and end, and the auto-dialogue killed Renegade Shepards - but the Tuchanka and Rannoch storylines were the pinnacle of the Mass Effect series. However, the game as a whole is just too flawed to get any GOTY awards.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I can't wait for this.

Mass Effect is going to earn something, if not GOTY, and people are going to lose their minds...and it will be glorious.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
If ME3 wins GOTY or Best Narrative its just more proof of the stupidity of humanity.

I hope they do lose though because that game does not deserve to beat out the other games its running against.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'd give Mark of the Ninja "Best Game Design" and "Best Downloadable Game" (though I'd also give it "Game of the Year"). Maybe not "Most Innovative", because some of those others did some weird things and somehow pulled them off. But it did do a fantastic job of presenting a lot of information in environmental ways that other games would have presented in meters and such.

Figures that the peer-selected awards event would be the best one.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Legion said:
Mass Effect 3 is nominated for Best Narrative but not Best Audio.

Seriously?

The soundtrack and the voice acting is one of the consistently decent things Mass Effect had about it. Pretty much everything else had it's ups and downs in the series.
I agree that the VA-work and soundtrack for the Mass Effect series has always been strong, it's not like there wasn't stiff competition this year. That said, I would like to have seen it get a nod.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
WorriedSandwich said:
Glad to see Virtue's Last Reward getting credited, it's among the very, very best of 2012.
Fo sho. Even though it began to get completely bonkers near the end, I never once said "This is completely bullcrap.".

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Best Technology:

CoD: Black ops 2.

Whot? you mean the game that has recycled it's already outdated engine over 5-6 iterations?

Not to say that's a mark against the quality of the game itself, but best technology is a praise it does not deserve.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
This. All this. That's as close as we're ever gonna get to have a decent awards show related to games. Sucks that the media doesn't give it the attention it deserves and instead focus on other shameful awards. Right, Spike TV?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
You know, I'd love to try to take this seriously...but...

Andy Chalk said:
Best Game Design
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Best Handheld/Mobile Game
Kid Icarus: Uprising (Sora/Nintendo)

Best Narrative
Mass Effect 3 (BioWare/Electronic Arts)
...after remembering what caused these games to get some notorious headlines around these parts, I just laugh and go back to playing Final Fantasy 4: The After Years. The others? About the closest you'll get to a decent list for awards.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
doggie015 said:
I hope they scratch Journey off the lists because the devs stubbornly REFUSE to allow PC gamers and people that cannot afford a PS3 to play it!
The_Echo said:
Dude, they aren't refusing. flOw, Flower and Journey were part of a three-game deal with Sony. There was never, ever a chance for any of those games to appear on other platforms.
OT: As an avid fanboy of Journey (as I have not at all tried to keep secret) and thatgamecompany in general, I'm more than happy with the amount of nominations it got. Of course, it should win every single one. But the nominations are nice enough, I gu~ess.
The_Echo is right. That Game Company can't even sell generic flOw/Flower/Journey merchandise aside from T-shirts and postcards. And the statement on their website almost sounds bitter [http://store.thatgamecompany.com/en/content/10-frequently-asked-questions-faq]:

Will you ever sell flOw, Flower, and Journey Merchandise?

We do not own the rights to sell flOw, Flower, and Journey merchandise and we do not have any plans to start making any such merchandise in the future.
Also: hell yeah, Journey! Well deserved praise. Best $15 I ever spent.