Gearbox Announces HD Remakes of Homeworld 1 And 2

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Gearbox Announces HD Remakes of Homeworld 1 And 2

Both the original titles and the new remakes will be exclusive to the PC.

It looks like Borderlands developer Gearbox is finally going to do something with that Gearbox announced at the very first PAX Australia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123447-Gearbox-Snags-Homeworld-Rights]. In order to whet your appetite while you wait for the remakes, Gearbox also announced that the original Homeworld 1 and 2 should also be soon appearing on PC digital distribution services.

When it first picked up the licence for $1.35 million, Gearbox stated that Chief Creative Officer Brian Martel "has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition. Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."

It looks like Martel is fully following through with this promise. Gearbox games have been pretty hit and miss in the past, providing us with gems such as Borderlands and Brothers in Arms, while also delivering colossal duds like Duke Nukem: Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines. Here's hoping they don't mess this one up!

If you want some more Homeworld-style action, Void Destroyer, a Kickstarted space RTS is apparently heavily influenced by Relic's Homeworld series, thought it hopes to set itself apart from it's spiritual predecessor.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/20/4540132/gearbox-releasing-remakes-of-homeworld-and-homeworld-2-for-windows-pc]

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
First thought was that it would be pretty hard to fuck up a HD rerelease of a game.

Second thought was about how much of a colossal failure the Silent Hill HD collection was.

Either way gonna pick this up on GoG once it launches. Been a while since I played it and I probably suck at it just as much as I did when I was a kid.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Dear Gearbox,

What about Homeworld Cataclysm? It was awesome. Sure, it wasn't developed by Relic, but that's no reason to not give me Siege Cannon and Beast Infection goodness! Don't forget it dammit!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I don't want a frigging remake, I want the tactical mechanics of this game incorporated into a 4X Total War Sci-fi epic.

Sega has Creative Assembly AND Relic under your roof. MAKE USE OF THEM, DAMNIT!

But no, we get to see Gearbox, the company that brought us such wonderful titles as Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines trying their hands at what is essentially the best real time 3D strategy game ever made. I'm sorry, but Gearbox trying their hands at respected and established IPs has a terrible track record.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
After acm and dnf this could be another cha ching cash phone in, i would not hold my breath this will be sloppy unfinished and crapped out the door so they can make borderlands 3.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
YES.

ALL OF MY YES.

Homeworld 2 may very well be my most played RTS of all time

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
So the people that made Duke Nukem: Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines along with a couple of OK shooters will be remaking a Relic RTS and Relic will have nothing to do with it?

No thanks count me out, unless its actually good.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
J Tyran said:
So the people that made Duke Nukem: Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines along with a couple of OK shooters will be remaking a Relic RTS and Relic will have nothing to do with it?

No thanks count me out, unless its actually good.
Well, it's only a remake in terms of graphics so we should be fine in the sense that they're unlikely to change the actual gameplay, so it'll still be awesome.

I'm kinda worried they may decide to 'update' the intermission cutscenes, which though lacking in animation gave the whole game a very solemn feel.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Dear Gearbox

you forgot to mention cataclysm, but that's OK honest mistake and all that.
DO NOT FUCK THIS UP. Do this properly, hire relic to make/consult on a new homeworld title and you can have my love back.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
This could be an attempt to see just how active the fanbase currently is and an attempt to make a profit off the initial acquisition of this IP. After all, if it sells like hotcakes all Gearbox has to do is make more of the same. If it doesn't; oh well.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
I never liked Homeworld 2 all that much but hot damn if I won't be all over a Homeworld 1 HD remake. Consider my day officially made.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
For once I am going to drop the cynicism and just be flat out excited.

Sure they might do something wacky and screw up the HD remakes but I'll take the original releases as soon as they hit.

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
Well actually Homeworld 2 still looks pretty damn good even on this day. I've completed it's campaign again few months back, and was quite surprised how well it still looks and feels compared to today's games. I guess visual aesthetic is much more impressive in that game rather than just pure graphical fidelity(as in high ress textures, high polycounts, fancy post procesing effects etc.).