Gearbox Announces HD Remakes of Homeworld 1 And 2

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Yes! Yesyesyesyesyes!

I trust Gearbox with a remake, I think. 20k poly models, new shaders and effects, 10x better textures... It'll be a beautiful thing!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Please be on GOG, please be on GOG, please be on GOG.

They did say 'distribution services', so here's hoping it's on more than just Steam anyway.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh no... this will result in a lynch mob as they redistribute funds to Borderlands 3 and farm his game out to a studio and then constantly fuck up the studios work.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm not sure this is really necessary... but alright, hopefully whoever they give this one to do has some experience in the remake field.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
My friend's husband was the lead designer on the original Homeworld (and the lead multiplayer designer on The Last of Us, I just learned). I'm not big on RTS, but I guess I've gotta get these when they release.

He also worked on Homefront, but we don't really talk about that. . .

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I read the title and I jizzed in my pants.
Homeworld was one of the first RTS games I enjoyed. In fact, it rank among my favourite games.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
It's an HD Re-release, not a remake. Think people should consider that before being all 'OH NO GEARBOX!'.

Higher resolutions, HD textures and availability on digital distribution platforms.

Why are you all doomsaying, again?

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
If they are just direct ports then that is awesome , especially the original. The atmosphere of the HW1 was just amazing.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Zombine3D said:
J Tyran said:
So the people that made Duke Nukem: Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines along with a couple of OK shooters will be remaking a Relic RTS and Relic will have nothing to do with it?

No thanks count me out, unless its actually good.
Maybe I'm going out of my way with defending DNF, but listen: DukeForever was not THAT bad and Gearbox barelly did any work on it. The DNF we got was about 90% finished in 2009 by 3DR and then after the closure of 3DR the ex-members were working on the game from their homes (Triptych Games).
I liked DNF for what it was - a monster of a parody. Duke3D came out in the right time at the right place, Forever could never live up to it, as there was nothing much to do that hasn't been done (by 2009 I mean).
It was awful, I can finish 99% of the games I buy and I had to put it down. I don't know what the devs were thinking.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
Gearbox also announced that the original Homeworld 1 and 2 should also be soon appearing on PC digital distribution services.
That's all I care about, give them to me on GOG, and I'm good, do whatever they want with the remakes.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
It's an HD Re-release, not a remake. Think people should consider that before being all 'OH NO GEARBOX!'.

Higher resolutions, HD textures and availability on digital distribution platforms.
What makes me scratch my head is that Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are actually rather simple to upscale to any modern resolution in the first place, simply because of the fact that they can take advantage of OpenGL. Well, okay, how easy it is is kinda relative... you do have to put it in compatibility mode with Windows NT of all things, and there might be a bit of registry editing for widescreen if I remember correctly, but it's all easy to look up and do compared to downloading and tweaking compatibility and stability mods for other games from the same era.

And the games both still look pretty good too, Homeword 2 in particular. The first has an issue with draw distance (which can be alleviated slightly by hex editing, if I remember right) and sure, the texture resolutions are terrible, but the aesthetic is still great and Homeworld 2 just flat out doesn't look like a game released a decade ago.

I can't fault them for distributing the things again, and I guess they could upscale the textures and remove some of the compatibility tweaking so that it just runs straight out of the install, but they're not nearly as bad as the likes of Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief, Star Wars Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, etc.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Please be on GOG, please be on GOG, please be on GOG.

They did say 'distribution services', so here's hoping it's on more than just Steam anyway.
I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be on GoG other than stupidity. I mean, if Gearbox absolutely must force Steamworks onto it then we're fucked, but its an HD rerelease of a decade+ old game. If they feel they need to protect it with DRM then they're more idiotic than I thought.

Pink Gregory said:

Why are you all doomsaying, again?
Silent Hill HD collection was an HD re-release as well. Look how well that worked out for everyone.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Warriors of the Vaygr reaches! The moment of prophecy is at hand! Glory be to the Sajuuk-Khar!

I really want them to not fuck this up. One of the best strategy games I've ever played. Then again, all three Homeworld games still look quite good.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
mirage202 said:
For once I am going to drop the cynicism and just be flat out excited.

Sure they might do something wacky and screw up the HD remakes but I'll take the original releases as soon as they hit.
Same here, as long as they make Homeworld 2 playable after loading a savegame. That "jerky camera" bug ruined it for my modern systems, and Homeworld 2 is my favorite RTS.