Gearbox Boss Denies Claims of Further Aliens Delay

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gearbox Boss Denies Claims of Further Aliens Delay

Any supposed news about release dates or delays for Aliens: Colonial Marines [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Xbox-360/dp/B00149NCWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294744275&sr=8-1] is completely made up, says Gearbox studio head Randy Pitchford.

Gearbox hasn't announced a release date for its squad-based, sci-fi shooter Alien: Colonial Marines. In fact, it's not said anything about the game's release at all, despite reports claiming that there was no chance of it coming out in 2011.

Work on Aliens: Colonial Marines began in 2006, and Sega originally planned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81649-Sega-Reveals-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Details] to release it in 2008. That plan went a little awry however, as more than two years past the supposed release date, the game is still yet to appear. The idea that the game wouldn't be coming out in 2011 either started in a thread on the NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417957] forums, where a poster summarized information from an interview Pitchford had given EGM. A few news sites picked up on this little tidbit, but in a statement to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-10-gearbox-denies-new-aliens-cm-delay], Pitchford was adamant that he'd said nothing about the Colonial Marines release date.

Pitchford said that while he hadn't seen the interview in question yet, he was sure that all he had said about Colonial Marines was that he was excited about it, and that Gearbox was committed to making it great. He was pleased that people were so interested in the game that stories about release dates and delays appeared "literally out of nowhere and from nothing," and was looking forward to replacing rumor with concrete details in the near future.

Back in October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104321-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-is-Still-in-the-Fight], Pitchford said that it wasn't that Colonial Marines had really been delayed, but rather that Sega had announced it much too soon. Hopefully the game will come out soon, because the idea of a fighting hordes of Xenomorphs with a few friends sounds like an absolute blast.

Source: via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/pitchford-denies-no-colonial-marines-in-2011-comment-191327.phtml]

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Hopefully the game will come out soon, because the idea of a fighting hordes of Xenomorphs with a few friends sounds like an absolute blast.
You're damn right it does!

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
._. looks kinda similar to Alien Swarm by Valve. Check it out, it's on Steam and freeeeeee.

And tons of fun.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
A sense a new Duke Nukem Forever in the making here.

Expect it around 2021 then....

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
vrbtny said:
A sense a new Duke Nukem Forever in the making here.

Expect it around 2021 then....
It must have caught the Forever fever from Nukem. They did take Nukem over.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Been looking forward to this for a while. Was afraid that the crappiness of the recent AvP might make the game vanish. I'd really love a squad-based Aliens-esque game, both because of the similarities with the Aliens movie and because I find it easier to play scary games when I have someone else to watch my back. :p

Chaos Incarnate

Swiggity Swag
Jan 31, 2010
Game looks great, can't wait for the first time an alien stabs me through the head with his little mouth

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Visulth said:
._. looks kinda similar to Alien Swarm by Valve. Check it out, it's on Steam and freeeeeee.

And tons of fun.
I take it you didnt watch the movie Aliens.. Trust me, if this is anything like the movie it will be a hundred times more epic than Alien Swarm (Which i found a disappointment..)

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
Visulth said:

And tons of fun.
I take it you didnt watch the movie Aliens.. Trust me, if this is anything like the movie it will be a hundred times more epic than Alien Swarm (Which i found a disappointment..)
I would prepare my valve fanboy shields..... If I were you.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
vrbtny said:
lol why

Alien Swarm was originally an Unreal Tournament 2004 mod, Valve just picked up the creators and remade it

and even like that it was still not all that original, the original mod was based on Alien Breed from back in the Amiga days

(kind of ironic that now on every Alien Breed trailers on youtube fucking fanboys and little idiots keep saying that Alien Breed is a ripoff of Alien Swarm)

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Let's just hope they're actually using this time to make Colonial Marines a damn good game to make up for the mediocrity that was the latest installment of AvP.
Anyway, it's Gearbox, one of the last developers I actually hold out any real hope for in terms of generally being good, so hopefully we'll get something worthwhile out of this.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I so hope this is like the marine campaign from AVP1 and 2.

blip. blip. blip. blip. blip. blip.

bwee-woo! bwee-woo!

They're comin' out of the goddamn walls! LET'S ROCK!

Those games were just so good.

Feb 13, 2008
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:
lol why

Alien Swarm was originally an Unreal Tournament 2004 mod, Valve just picked up the creators and remade it

and even like that it was still not all that original, the original mod was based on Alien Breed from back in the Amiga days

(kind of ironic that now on every Alien Breed trailers on youtube fucking fanboys and little idiots keep saying that Alien Breed is a ripoff of Alien Swarm)
Yeah, I remember Alien Breed. Fun little game. Alien Swarm had potential but it relied, like Left 4 Dead 1/2, on finding 3 more people who weren't uber, noobs or downright assholes.

And on the internet, that's just too tough.

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
vrbtny said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Visulth said:

And tons of fun.
I did watch Aliens but I admit I'm not familiar at all with the games so I've no idea if they'll be able to deliver something like that or not. Judging by the board people seem to think it'll be a lot more intense than Alien Swarm which sounds great to me.

Alien Swarm is free and was great playing with 3 of my buddies so I really have no criticism for it. I'm sure that'd be different if I had to pay for it, however.