Gearbox Clarifies CEO's Steam Comments

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gearbox Clarifies CEO's Steam Comments

Steam [http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/] were "twisted and contorted," according to the company's creative director, who says the guys at the studio are actually really big fans of Valve's digital distribution platform.

Pitchford raised some eyebrows Valve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95309-Gearbox-Boss-Says-Its-Dangerous-to-Let-Valve-Win]-owned Steam. "There's so much conflict of interest there that it's horrid. It's actually really, really dangerous for the rest of the industry to allow Valve to win," he said.

But Pitchford doesn't have an anti-Valve bias; his comments were simply taken "really out of context," according to Gearbox Creative Director Mike Neumann. "We love Valve. We love Steam. We're doing good on it right now. It's a really great platform," he told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/11/11/gearbox-pitchfords-valve-remarks-got-twisted-and-contorted/].

"[Randy] was simply making a sidenote. Like, 'Hey, they're a developer, and they also self-publish. There might be a conflict of interest there'," he said. "It's not like I disagree. There might be conflict of interest there. We haven't seen any evidence. It's all on the honor system. But it is a bit like, 'Hey, let's at least acknowledge that we're all on the honor system here.' It's a little sketchy."

In fact, Neumann said that rather than being critical, Pitchford's comments just proved that the guys at Valve are solid dudes. "I think the comments about exploiting developers really just got twisted and contorted. I think [Randy] was trying to stick up for the little guys a bit, and it was cool to see all the indie developers that have been using Steam as their platform come out and say Steam's awesome [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95362-Tripwire-Co-Founder-Responds-to-Gearbox-CEOs-Steam-Criticisms]," he added. "And it's like, okay, the honor system's working and everybody's doing well. So really, all we proved is that Valve's good people, and this is working out. So we'll stick with this."

Be sure to tune in next week, when Neumann clarifies Pitchford's recent remarks about Valve being PS3-hating fanboys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95945-Gearbox-Prez-Calls-Valve-out-on-the-PS3] while balancing a spinning plate on his chin.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
Took them a month to come up with that? That's great.

Yeah, 'Gearbox' can love Valve all it wants. It's kind of clear Pitchford doesn't. Not that there's anything wrong with that, people are allowed to have silly opinions. They really should've just left it alone, considering all this does is ostracize Pitchford from Gearbox.

Feb 13, 2008
You can almost imagine Gabe Newell having a talk with Randy.

Don't be too proud of these Half Life episodes you've constructed. The ability to release a good Half Life game is insignificant next to the power of STEAM.
Don't try to frighten us with your games platform, Gabe. Your sad devotion to that online shop has not helped you conjure up episode 3, or given you the ability to program for the PS3...
[Gabe raises his hand and Gearbox's stock starts plummeting]
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
kinda weird back tracking there, Im guessing his email caught fire

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Pitchford really doesn't seem to like Valve that much... I still find the "fan-boy PS3 hating" shit hilarious... I can't wait to see how they try to clear that one up myself

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Don't be too proud of these Half Life episodes you've constructed. The ability to release a good Half Life game is insignificant next to the power of STEAM.
Don't try to frighten us with your games platform, Gabe. Your sad devotion to that online shop has not helped you conjure up episode 3, or given you the ability to program for the PS3...
Gabe doesn't need to raise his hand...he will just slap Gearbox CEO with his belly!HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Cause...Gabe is fat...like very fat..AW COME ON!

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Pitchford really doesn't seem to like Valve that much... I still find the "fan-boy PS3 hating" shit hilarious... I can't wait to see how they try to clear that one up myself
I hope they just leave it. Activision is hating on PCs so I hope a PC dev backs us up and hates on others!!!!

I am sure Valve got our backs.

Plus from what I have read Valve arent the only Devs to come out and say how wierd the PS3 is to create a title with?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Oh Em Gee,this is hilarious.

And this...

This is utterly and undeniably hilarious.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Bretty said:
uppitycracker said:
I hope they just leave it. Activision is hating on PCs so I hope a PC dev backs us up and hates on others!!!!

I am sure Valve got our backs.

Plus from what I have read Valve arent the only Devs to come out and say how wierd the PS3 is to create a title with?
You actually have Activision confused with Infinity Ward. That was all their idea, their entire design, and Activision just published the game. They give their developers a LOT of creative freedom, they just back up the development decisions.

But no, yer right, Valve are not. Developing a game for the PS3 is like pulling yer own teeth out with a screwdriver. It's painful, messy and completely unnecessary. I back them up 100% in not developing for the PS3, and I don't see it as being fan-boy-esque by any means.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008

Have I told you recently that I love you?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Nice parting shot, like the Escapist never writes a news story in a sensationalist way that makes people sound less reasonable. Classy.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008

What was I going to do today? Probably work on my college applications... but now I have to go watch star wars ep. 4-6.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
So he doesn't like Steam. What's the big deal? I don't like polka, but there are plenty of others that do. Seems like people get too uptight over stuff like this.

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009

Of course someone would speak up.

Enough of this! Gabe, fix the stocks!
As you wish.
This bickering is pointless! Now Gabe Newell will provide us with information on the release of Half-Life Episode 3, by the time the new NVIDIA cards are operational.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
DigitalJedl said:

As you wish.
This bickering is pointless! Now Gabe Newell will provide us with information on the release of Half-Life Episode 3, by the time new the NVIDIA cards are operational.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Love it, love everything about it.

Also, people should just be allowed to not like VALVe and Steam! I'm amazed they had to defend themselves!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008

Gentlemen I believe this comment has won the thread.

OP: Well, que the plattitudes and backpedaling!

CheeseSandwichCake

May 23, 2009
DigitalJedl said:

As you wish.
This bickering is pointless! Now Gabe Newell will provide us with information on the release of Half-Life Episode 3, by the time new the NVIDIA cards are operational.
You two have just WON THE FUCKING GAME.