Gearbox Confirms a New Brothers in Arms is In Development

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Gearbox Confirms a New Brothers in Arms is In Development

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1413/1413834.jpgGearbox has a new Brothers in Arms in development, and it's going to be published in-house.

We've heard Gearbox tease a new Brother in Arms game once this year, and now the company has made it official: Brothers in Arms is back in development. Speaking with Geoff Keighley at E3 this week, CEO Randy Pitchford confirmed [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SqEFk7qjs] the game, saying,

"We've had in development for some time a new Brothers in Arms game. It's authentic, its got Sgt. Baker, it's the Brothers in Arms game we want to make and we're doing it under our publishing label. I was really grateful when Ubisoft jumped in to help publish the original Brothers in Arms games but as that relationship matured, I think for them they thought the game looked pretty cool and it was sort of a side bet and it turned out to be a big franchise and it became important to their business and as that was true, they got more and more involved. I think their interests were different from what we think Brothers in Arms is. Now we can do the authentic game Brothers in Arms fans really want."

Pitchford also praised Telltale Games as inspiring the new game's storytelling. He said,

"I think Brothers in Arms has always been strong because of its unique tactical gameplay, it's not just a raw shooter. There's a lot more to it than just the skill test. There's also a storytelling element, we're really pushing that to new places. Our experience working with Telltale on the Tales [of the Borderlands] series has taught us that you can actually make gameplay out of storytelling and you can have that be really engaging."

There's not much more in the way of details, and it sounds like the game may still be a while out. That said, if you're a fan of the series, you can look forward to hearing more in the future.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well this really is the E3 of 'series you liked ten years ago getting sequels,'

Metroid Prime, Beyond Good and Evil, This, I'm quietly quite happy, although far too cynical to expect them all to be good on release.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
almost like they went .. crap i forgot we own the rights to that.. lets make a game now COD is going ww2 again

ive always had a soft spot for the series and im curious what they do with the new game.. hopefully its nothing like the last time they thought about bringing it back

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
YEEEEEEESSS! YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!! (Continues running around screaming for five minutes)

I have always held out hope for snow. I love snow, Leggett. I've been waiting for snow for years now, quietly worrying that perhaps you have forgotten your promise. But you haven't! And I'm and smiling like a mad man. Let's DO THIS!

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Randy Pitchford says things.

Well that's neat. How's the bullshit-to-truth ratio working out with that guy these days?

As for Brothers In Arms: the original was a great virtual companionpiece to Band Of Brothers, and to this day I keep getting their annoyingly bland names confused. Either way, great TV series, pretty great - if very flawed - game. Not sure I'm interested in more 'war is hell' POV's, though.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
YEEEEEEESSS! YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!! (Continues running around screaming for five minutes)
May I join?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

I loved the original games. I really hope they continue to focus on the AI because that is one thing that I thought the original did very well (and would also be a great way to differentiate themselves from all the other WWII shooters). You would try to flank the Germans but they would also try to flank you as well. It wasn't like most FPS AI where it just kind of sits there hiding waiting for you to kill it; they actively attempted to move suppress and move the same way you did.