Gearbox Delays Duke Nukem Forever Until Summer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gearbox Delays Duke Nukem Forever Until Summer

Duke is still on his way, but he's decided that spring isn't really his thing.

Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HAC6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300973713&sr=8-3] has been in development for more than a decade, so a few extra weeks tacked on to the end of its development cycle can't hurt, right? That seems to be what's running through Gearbox's mind, as it has pushed back the release of the game from early May to mid-June.

In a video message, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford humorously announced the delay, hyping up the fact that the "unreleasable" game was finally coming out, and then acting surprised when someone changed the date on the promotional stand behind him. He even quipped that people should stop joking around, as it wasn't April Fool's Day yet. Gearbox didn't give a reason for the delay in the video, but it's presumably so that the studio can get in some last minute tweaks and bug fixes. The new release date for the game is June 14th in North America, and June 10th for the rest of the world.

[video=2956]

There's so much anticipation around Duke Nukem Forever - an unavoidable side effect of being a high profile game with a 14 year development cycle - that this new delay is sure to be a source of frustration for a lot of people. Of course, until Gearbox started working on the game in 2010, it didn't look like it was coming out at all, so it's hard to get too annoyed by it. We've shot Gearbox an email asking about the cause of the delay, and will update if we hear anything back.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/24/duke-nukem-forever-delayed-again/]

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Another delay? Looks like the guys that have their preorders are going to have to wait a little bit longer.

Additionally:

IT BEGINS.

DrWilhelm

May 5, 2009
And so it continues...

Anyone going to take guesses as to when the next delay will rear it's grinning head?

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I'd rather they delay it and make sure it's polished rather than release a shoddy product. We've already waited 12 years a few more months won't matter. It works for Blizzard, I don't think they've ever released abad game.But this game better be amazing. There's no excuse now.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
At some points this feels like they've been trolling us for almost 1 and 1/2 decades.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Well at least the video announcement was funny.

Hopefully the Duke doesn't curbstomp Gearbox into oblivion like 3D Realms. :p

EDIT: Just noticed that the rest of the world is getting the game BEFORE North America. Isn't that kind of odd? Not that I'm complaining, just that it's usually the other way around.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I'll say here what I said on /v/. At least they had some humor for it, and they truly seem to be sorry for it. Hell, a couple of more weeks for some polish isn't a bad thing, it's not like they're running on VaLVE time.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Enkidu88 said:
EDIT: Just noticed that the rest of the world is getting the game BEFORE North America. Isn't that kind of odd? Not that I'm complaining, just that it's usually the other way around.
What I found as slightly more odd then that was that it went from coming out in North America first to shipping internationally first... It's not like it's a big deal, it just seems odd to me for some reason.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
That's it guys, our hopes are dashed. Duke ain't coming, tear down the banners and give the cake to the dog.
googleback said:
Hehehehehe...I kept waiting for him to do something, but stopped because it felt like his crazy eyes were staring into my soul. O_O

Mar 30, 2010
poiumty said:
I feel the title should have been "Duke Nukem does it again".
This is your fault you know!

poiumty said:
The babe will sometimes freak out, and players have to give her a "reassuring slap,"
Pffffhahahahahahahahaha

The only way to make it better is call the home base "kitchen".
Gearbox heard you and are hastily rewriting the necessary code as we speak.