Gearbox Head Hints at Duke Nukem/Gears of War Crossover

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/685/685073.jpg
Could we see the Duke himself alongside Marcus Fenix in the next Gears of War?

This week in "interesting cryptic Twitter hints," Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford has dropped something suggesting a crossover game between Gearbox's own Duke Nukem and Microsoft's Gears of War.

"A Duke Nukem/Gears of War crossover would be pretty badass..." a fan Tweeted to Pitchford. "On December 1st, we are announcing something you might really enjoy :)"

Now, while Gearbox Software bought the licence to Duke Nukem back when it "saved" Duke Nukem Forever in 2011, it has nothing to do with Gears of War, which is owned by Microsoft and currently developed by The Coalition. So while Pitchford's Tweet does hint at a Gears/Duke crossover... it's probably not super likely.

That means that his Tweet is probably referring to another Duke Nukem announcement. Leading theories suggest Duke will be added as a playable character in Gearbox's struggling Battleborn [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168814-The-Battleborn-Community-Organized-an-Event-to-Try-to-Save-the-Game], or that we are just straight up getting a new Duke Nukem game.

Either way, we won't have to wait too long until the December 1st announcement.

Source: Cog Connected [http://cogconnected.com/2016/11/gearbox-head-hints-duke-nukem/]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Well, when one franchise is 6 feet in the ground, and the other is approaching the same fate at muzzle velocity... You might as well go down swinging.

Why don't they add Colonial Marines in, make it a trifecta!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Booooooooo. :mad:

How bout give the rights to the Shadow Warrior people and reunite the siblings?

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016

(image from the webcomic Manly Guys for Manly Men)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, either:

-Duke gets a chainsaw weapon?

-A third person Duke game is made?

-In some weird, bizzaro world, a Duke/Gears crossover occurs (No! God no!)?

I will admit to being curious. Never played Duke Forever, but I am one of those weirdos who enjoyed Colonial Marines. So I'm kind of curious, since 4Ever was a game cobbled together over a decade, with Gearbox basically being the ones to release it. A Duke game built from the ground up with a reasonable developpment cycle could be interesting.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Given their respective critical and audience responses, a Gears/Nukem mash-up would would seem roughly the equivalent of announcing that Dwayne Johnson was going to team up with Rob Schneider. GoW 4 may not have had the smash success of some of its predecessors, but it seems to be doing all right both critically and in sales. It would in no way benefit from the addition of Duke Nukem.

My guess would be Duke Nukem reborn as a cover-based shooter, with the hope that the audience is ready for a game with a tone of political incorrectness in the wake of the last election.

I believe that Gearbox is still capable of making good games. But if DNF was any indication, there's a significant danger of them planting Duke in a slightly different genre while failing to understand on a basic level what might make either the character or the features of that genre's gameplay, as viewed through the expectations of modern gamers, work.

December 1st, eh? Well, not long to find out.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Callate said:
Given their respective critical and audience responses, a Gears/Nukem mash-up would would seem roughly the equivalent of announcing that Dwayne Johnson was going to team up with Rob Schneider. GoW 4 may not have had the smash success of some of its predecessors, but it seems to be doing all right both critically and in sales. It would in no way benefit from the addition of Duke Nukem.

My guess would be Duke Nukem reborn as a cover-based shooter, with the hope that the audience is ready for a game with a tone of political incorrectness in the wake of the last election.

I believe that Gearbox is still capable of making good games. But if DNF was any indication, there's a significant danger of them planting Duke in a slightly different genre while failing to understand on a basic level what might make either the character or the features of that genre's gameplay, as viewed through the expectations of modern gamers, work.

December 1st, eh? Well, not long to find out.
Gearbox should stick to Borderlands. Give Duke to either Flying Wild Hog, or Bethesda, and stick to making Borderlands something great. I love those games, but they could be so much more than they are.

Duke is one of the last of the 90's id family shooters that needs a proper modern entry.

(If anyone is about to tell me how its not id, 3D Realms was founded by ex-id, making Duke a cousin to DOOM)

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Well it's been 5 years since the incident, i guess it's okay to try a new DN game.

Wonder if they'll give the job to the guys who made ACM.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I've played neither so I say the following with some hesitation in my voice.

I believe Gears of War was developed with the description "Marcus Fenix is a Badass" at the top of the design document.

Duke Nukem is a character based franchise; say what you want of his chauvinism, at least they paint the picture of a character.

Combine them and you get what? Two larger than life characters inhabiting the same title.

On the other hand Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney worked rather well, and the lead characters are of similar disposition(both pretty much inhabiting the trait of selflessness) where Phoenix is more of a goof and Layton is more serious, so maybe it could work, what with duke nukem having a more casual disregard for the world he inhabits for the sake of fun whereas Marcus Fenix is taking his world seriously.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
You know, if Baird spends the entire game deflating Dukes ego with sarky one liners, I'd be all for it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
008Zulu said:
Well, when one franchise is 6 feet in the ground, and the other is approaching the same fate at muzzle velocity... You might as well go down swinging.

Why don't they add Colonial Marines in, make it a trifecta!
Set the whole thing in the Battleborn universe and you can build a product on four solid pillars of apathy.

I can't help but feel Gearbox is paying the price for Colonial Marines, it may have taken a while, but something so memorably bad (and Mr Pitchford's unrepentant attitude towards it) undermines consumer confidence and that's more or less impossible to get back.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
I can't help but feel Gearbox is paying the price for Colonial Marines, it may have taken a while, but something so memorably bad (and Mr Pitchford's unrepentant attitude towards it) undermines consumer confidence and that's more or less impossible to get back.
And they had so much consumer confidence too, they were shaping up to be the next Big Thing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It doesn't hint at a crossover, it hints at a new Duke Nukem game. Potentially a 3rd person shooter similar to Gears of War.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I'm having The Expendables flashbacks, something that, on paper, would have worked greatly 20 years ago, but today, in practice it can't work. Duke Nukem is a character that is an archetype for everything 80's, but as Dante from Devil May Cry, Nathan Drake and even Marcus Phoenix are badasses on top of having interesting personalities, putting Duke is going to generate that contrast.

Maybe I'm a bit salty, but Alien Infestation was the best Metroidvania on the DS and one of my favorite portable games, the fact that Gearbox has abandoned any and all investiments on portables to keep playing with the carcasses of Battleborn and Duke Nukem is one heck of a pill to swallow [Do people still say that?].

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have high doubts that they will make any changes. duke is dead for me and i stay far away from any title that has "gearbox" written on it.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I want to be excited but DNF was bad followed by that even worse ending followed by commercials for the 20th Anniversary for DN3D which reminded me of said ending. Can someone, anyone, stop Duke Nukem from using his first amendment rights, please?

Because now all my fond memories of Duke Nukem only come from Duke Nukem 1&2.
And I feel like IF they announce a Duke Nukem game it will be inspired by Donald Trump defeating Fake feminist Hillary Clinton.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
For fuck's sake. Do we need that? Do we even want that?

or that we are just straight up getting a new Duke Nukem game.
For fuck's sake. Do we need that? Do we even want that?

Adam Jensen said:
It doesn't hint at a crossover, it hints at a new Duke Nukem game. Potentially a 3rd person shooter similar to Gears of War.
See above.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Windknight said:
You know, if Baird spends the entire game deflating Dukes ego with sarky one liners, I'd be all for it.
Holy shit. Give it to Telltale and make the entire game based around puncturing Duke's over-inflated ego with Baird's quips.

With occasional combat featuring chest-high walls.