Gearbox Isn't Working on Borderlands 3... But it Wants to be

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Gearbox Isn't Working on Borderlands 3... But it Wants to be

Gearbox's Randy Pitchford confirms that work has not yet begun on Borderlands 3.

These days, the name Gearbox Software has become synonymous with two things: the infamously awful PAX South [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/10187-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Review-Game-Over-Man] that work on Borderlands 3 hasn't actually started, although he is keep to begin.

"We want to think about the future and we want to think about what the next Borderlands is and we're going to need some help," Gearbox Pitchford said. "The fact is, we're not working on a new Borderlands game, but we want to."

Pitchford went on to say how his company was in the process of actively recruiting new talent for the as-of-yet-unannounced new Borderlands game. "If you are in the industry and you think you can help us, we want you to help us. We want to get started on a new Borderlands game," he said, adding "There's literally nothing to tell, but we're ready to start."

For a bit more Borderlands news, Gearbox also announced the third DLC pack for The Pre-Sequel, which is called The Lady Hammerlock Pack and will feature Sir Hammerlock's older sister, Aurelia, as a playable character. It also teased a fourth Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel DLC pack which will involve "going in the mind" of Claptrap.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/pax-south-2015-gearbox-on-borderlands-3-were-ready-to-start]

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Well I hope they don't tbh, They have jumped on the small scale easy buck DLC bandwagon with the Pre-Sequel. What made Borderlands 2 such a great game was the brilliant DLC which made the season pass really worth it. With the Pre-Sequel they listed the season pass at £24.99 on steam which made it the most expensive SP I've ever seen but I and others thought if the DLC is of the same quality of BL2 then ok. What we got was a couple of boring arena's with waves of enemies thrown at you.

Where's our Sir Hammerlocks Big Game Hunt or Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep? and we thought Colonial Marines was a con job.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I wish they made less but bigger DLC.
I made the mistake to buy the regular borderlands 2 for the 360 and not the goty edition and the sheer ammount of things you can buy is staggering, desorienting and most definitely overpriced.
Still a great game though. I thought the pre-sequel was bad? According to totalbiscuit, borderlands 2 is the better choice.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
loa said:
I made the mistake to buy the regular borderlands 2 for the 360 and not the goty edition and the sheer ammount of things you can buy is staggering, desorienting and most definitely overpriced.
Still a great game though. I thought the pre-sequel was bad? According to totalbiscuit, borderlands 2 is the better choice.
I personally really enjoyed the Pre-Sequel, although I am Australian so that may be bias

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Maybe they can get hired to develop a completely different game, use it's budget to make another Borderlands, and pawn it off onto some other studio to build from start to finish in a few months.

Again.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Borderlands games have taught me to never buy the base game and to simply wait for the complete version to eventually come out on sale. I rather enjoy the games, but the DLC for me is accomplishing the opposite of what they want.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok so Pitchford came to PAX to announce that Gearbox is starting work on a new Borderlands title.

Is this some kind of new marketing ploy or did he just run out of things to say?

Steven Bogos said:
loa said:
I personally really enjoyed the Pre-Sequel, although I am Australian so that may be bias
Definitely so. I had the dubious benefit of an actual Australian to play with (EU-AU connections suck) and eventually most of the humor and references in TPS were going so far over my head that most of our running banter was being replaced by him explaining the joke and ranting about how shit your government is. And lag. Lots of lag.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
So in other words Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel underperformed and Take-Two Interactive won't fund another one and after Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines no other publisher will touch them either.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Its an actual call for scapegoats!
Come one, come all! Scapegoats needed!
Now you can know what its like to be blamed for a stagnant game failing to meet our inflated expectations!
Step right up here!

I truly pity anyone who applies for and get a job working on Borderlands 5(Its not #3! Learn to count, Gearbox!)

List

Sep 29, 2013
They need to stop the releases for a while, I'm already burned out of the franchise. They should work on new IP then maybe after that a new borderlands...

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
So in other words Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel underperformed and Take-Two Interactive won't fund another one and after Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines no other publisher will touch them either.
I think it's more that they don't have another publisher's money to divert into a third game.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
I'm in two minds, Pre-sequel felt to me as much of a half-arsed cash-in as it sounded, with the hook of seeing Jack's decline not remotely interesting enough to justify another 40+ hour grind when I can just play 2 again, with better characters, fewer gimmicks and a higher general commitment to not just going "F it, That'll do", specially after seeing Jack's "decline" in cut-scene compilation videos and thinking "That's the big twist?". However, if Gearbox pulled out the stops for BL3 like they did for 2 (And maybe canned the internet meme references), that'd be interesting again. Same time, there's only so many times you can re-hash the same MMO-shooter style feel before it feels like old rope. Especially with how DLC-happy 2 was, which considering how Evolve's taken its own feet off with a bear-trap by going the same route, should Really serve as a warning if BL3 does get started.
Also, CAPTCHA: "Look Before Crossing" Oh, very sage.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
All it will take is a few licensed projects which they can then embezzle the development money from to get the third one rolling.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I really enjoyed the first game, and while I played the second through to completion I just didn't enjoy nearly as much. So I didn't even bother picking up the Pre-Sequel. A big part of it was that they really tightened up and balanced the way gear was procedurally generated to make for a better overall multiplayer experience, which sucks for those like myself who were only interested in solo play and finding truly epic loot. Ah well.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Well, if they're not working on the next Borderlands, we can be assured to know they'll hemorrhage money from their other projects to help fund Borderlands.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SO Gearbox decided to get out of business? because Borderlands is the only successful thing they actually made.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Gearbox is a developer that managed to stumble on one popular concept, mostly by accident, and has been riding it ever since. Everything other than Borderlands that they put out (their early work aside) has been garbage. And Borderlands itself is mostly carried by its coop component. So at this point, Gearbox doesn't know what to do with BL - they can see that people are getting a bit tired of the same old, which was made evident by the somewhat tepid reception of the Pre-Sequel, but they haven't the slightest idea what to do about it. So now they're floundering about in general confusion...

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Jandau said:
Gearbox is a developer that managed to stumble on one popular concept, mostly by accident, and has been riding it ever since. Everything other than Borderlands that they put out (their early work aside) has been garbage. And Borderlands itself is mostly carried by its coop component. So at this point, Gearbox doesn't know what to do with BL - they can see that people are getting a bit tired of the same old, which was made evident by the somewhat tepid reception of the Pre-Sequel, but they haven't the slightest idea what to do about it. So now they're floundering about in general confusion...
What's sad is that they got a hold of the Homeworld IP, and now I'll likely be giving them money.

Don't get me wrong, if they pull it off it's a good thing. Getting back into people's good graces, so to speak. Because honestly, they need to.

ACM, Duke Nukem Forever, Pre-Sequel, all trash. I never liked Memelands, it's just cartoony shit that doesn't even try to be funny or witty outside of the Reddit tier humor. If they don't end up making another game, it's probably a good thing.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well?If Gearbox stops trying to pick up projects that were already a dying horse like Duke Nukem and Aliens: Colonial Marines, it might be able to do something worth its while?Hopefully...