Gearbox Snags Homeworld Rights

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It may be an easy way to score points with gamers for keeping the dream alive
Didn't the guys who originally made the game try to make it happen via a very well funded Kickstart? If I remember correctly, they got outbid by someone. Unless I'm thinking of another game, I doubt they're getting any good rep out of it unless they do everything perfectly

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
I say they're working together.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
It's hard to tell whether I should be excited or dismayed (like a lot of people here). Gearbox has had good luck with games like Opposing Force, Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, but at the same time they fudged things up with Duke Nukem Forever and now Aliens Colonial Marines. It's hard to say I can trust them with this license I've loved, but we'll just have to wait and see...

It also hasn't helped that there just hasn't been a space RTS that's been anywhere near as good since the HW series, I've got an itch for such a game that I still haven't been able to scratch for a long time. Only Sins and Endless Space ever managed to scratch it, but that's been it since HW2.

On the positive side, at least the first order of business is getting HW1, HWC and HW2 on the digital market! I would love to get all three on my Steam so I can play them, instead of once relying on...sneakier means.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
The end is nigh. Gaze unto the glory of the flame and bask in the inevitability of oblivion.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
omicron1 said:
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
If Relic gets involved, I will support this so hard. I loved Impossible Creatures to death. (Impossible Creatures is the Relic game everybody loves them for, right?)

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY????

Do not get me wrong I LOVE gearbox games. But just the GEARBOX games. When they take over other IPS that have been sitting around.... Well it does not end well........

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011

You can thank me later. Expect another Duke Nukem Forever/Colonal Marines to happen soon.

Honestly, your not going to top the awesome that was Cataclysm, Gearbox X3

Manthraxx

Nov 11, 2009
Oh you just know the fuckers are going to make a shooter...

And RTS is only a dying genre because studios has stopped making them (see Jimquisitions excellent video on the subject)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Its time for an FPS reboot! For sure! Also, MMO and all strategy should be done with QTE.

Bill Nye the Zombie

Apr 27, 2012
omicron1 said:
Sega also owns Creative Assembly. I feel like Sega is going to "suggest" that both Relic and Creative Assembly "help" Gearbox with this one, just so Gearbox gets some good press for something other than Borderlands. Or cause Sega wants to put out good game. Either works.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Oh, so that's who had the heart to crush the dreams of over a thousand people.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123390-Save-Homeworld-Fails-to-Save-Homeworld-Makes-New-Game-Instead

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
flarty said:
mirage202 said:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?
Hopefully 2k will show some footage of a fps gearbox has produced called homeworld. You know where im going with this?
Please let it be so.

Starcraft is alright (2 I mean) but it's focus is.. a little off for me personally, as someone else said, it's all about APM and build orders, fair enough that is strategy in it's own right, but not the kind I look for.

Sins was good, Hegemony is another good one and the Total War games I love. Yet everything else is kind of meh. I'm not quite ready to blame MOBAs yet as it is just the current bandwagon, consoles and publisher focus on them is an obvious part of the decline though.

I'd love to look to indie devs to revitalize the RTS genre, alas unfortunately they are too busy copying the practices of the big publishers and are all (figure of speech, not literal) trying to do the same thing. Seems for every 10 Indie games announced 9 of those are some form of single gimmick puzzle platformer, every one wanting to be the next Journey/Braid/Limbo etc.

Could have been a SoaSE 2, but no they made a MOBA, could have had a SupCom3, but no SupCom2 had to go and ruin it by trying to appeal to console gamers. Now we see Gearbox of all people with Homeworld, why? What can they possibly do better than Stardock, or Paradox? Hell even those guys with the kickstarter would have given it the care it deserves if nothing else.

Yeah not sure where I was going with that really aside from having gone from a little hope of a HW3, to no hope at all. Could be wrong, but I've found pessimism serves me much better than optimism with news like this.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Bill Nye the Zombie said:
omicron1 said:
Sega also owns Creative Assembly. I feel like Sega is going to "suggest" that both Relic and Creative Assembly "help" Gearbox with this one, just so Gearbox gets some good press for something other than Borderlands. Or cause Sega wants to put out good game. Either works.
Thing is, if SEGA was that interested, why didn't they just buy the rights when they picked up Relic? Why wait until someone else snatches them up and then have to do the whole multi-developer dance, that more often than does not end well? Nope, I'm just seeing failure all over the horizon with this adquisition.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Well these can only end well. Whenever Gearbox has its' hands on a previously loved license, well...we've seen the results.
the results?

yeah, the half-life 1 expansion packs were amazing, the Halo 1 PC port rocked socks with the custom edition addition thingy that allowed for custom maps........

The only other series they have worked with are Duke Nukem, a game they didn't make, and Aliens, ANOTHER game THEY DIDN'T MAKE, when Gearbox actually makes games, they are always good.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'm not sure whether to cry out of joy or cry for help.

If there was EVER a time to not fuck up, Gearbox, this is it. Do not break my heart. Do not make me break your necks.