Gearbox Wonders Why People Aren't Ripping Off Borderlands

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Can I just ask a stupid question here to Gearbox? Uhh...[HEADING=1]Why do you WANT to be ripped off?![/HEADING]

That barrel has no bottom...

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
This thread so far:

Fan: Borderlands was great!
Hipster: pfft all the reasons you like it are invalid because they don't exist
Repeat as desired

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
It *has* been ripped off. RAGE was a Borderlands wannabe in almost every way, even down to having a horrible ending. Now, I'm not 100% sure if Rage was in production when Borderlands came out, but the similarities are pretty striking.
RAGE is nothing like Borderlands besides the setting really. They aren't talking about ripping off the setting, they are talking about ripping off the hybrid fps/rpg genre.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Because you don't play a big white/American killing dem color'd weird talkin' (that's color without the 'u' ya pinko commie freaks!) folks.

I mean, seriously...
At least you could JUSTIFY committing mass murder against Nazis because, well, THEY'RE NAZIS, but CoD/BF just don't seem to have really 'gotten' the whole 'the cold war is over and the war on terror ain't just about folks living in a country called '-istan'.

/rant

Yan Hunt

Oct 23, 2010
The only game that might have come close as a clone was Brink. Have rarely been so disappointed with a game. Had a cool art style, nice progressive unlocks, classes, but sadly, instead of sandboxes we got nasty maps and terrible AI team play. If i was a billionaire, i'd love to buy the original code and re-make it as it should have been....

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Dead islands pertty much a rip off of some of the elements with melee combat and zombies shooter/fps type thing with rpg elements and 4 classes.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Dead Island??

I mean heck, they had an article on this site that had a producer pretty much saying they ripped off Borderlands 1.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
It's annoying to me how cynical he is about the whole thing. Surely he should feel pride in his industry, not disbelief?

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Matthew94 said:
I wouldn't call cell shading distinctive.
When the flavour of the current generation shooter is dark, gritty realism, I'd say cel shading is distinctive.

Not played borderlands, so can't comment on any other points. may give it a try.

gizunt

Nov 20, 2009
I see people saying that why would anyone want to rip off Borderlands if it already ripped off games such as Fallout(3 and NV I guess), Mass Effect(you shoot stuff?), Dragon Age(what?), Baldur's Gate(WHAT?) and I have to say its such a pointless thing to argue about. Fallout "totally ripped off" Wasteland, and DA "totally ripped off" every RPG EVER that was released before it, and yet it was hailed as an amazing RPG (me included in the hailing), so today a game has to stand out by making itself special with it's style rather than gameplay elements. Torchlight was built from the start to be a Diablo clone, did anyone complain? no, it was fun, similar to Diablo and yet felt special in it's own way. The only game in recent memory that I have played and reminded me of Borderlands was Dead Island, and you know what? it was worse than Borderlands and yet my friends and I had a ton of fun with it, and as for why no one ripping it off(other than DI that is)...errr it sold "only" 4.5 copies?

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I'm sorry, Randy, but after comparing DNF to Half Life, you lost any credibility left. Just hand in your "Press button to spawn gaming journalist" badge and go repent for your sins.

You might be able to repent with Colonial Marines, but so help me God, if that game turns out to be shit, people on the street will scream for your blood.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Not saying one ripped off from the other, but Randy makes it sound like there are no similar games.
Just off the top of my head:
Fallout 3
STALKER
*Mass Effect[footnote]*Not a FPS but you do spend a fair bit of time aiming in first person[/footnote]
Hellgate London
Dead Island
...and I'm sure there are others.

They are all FPSs with elements of "traditional" RPGs.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I think I have an answer as to why it seems to this guy that Borderlands hasn't been ripped off (yes, I've seen the counterpoints, that's why I said "seems to this guy").

This answer is also half of the answer why I haven't played Borderlands. That, and I prefer WRPGs over JRPGs. And a game where you have to choose one of several characters to play as with no ability to create your own is a JRPG.

Yahtzee's list of Borderlands's terrible game mechanics