Gears 3 Fan Builds Lego-Bot to Bag Medal

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gears 3 Fan Builds Lego-Bot to Bag Medal

Still pressing buttons yourself? Don't you know we have machines to do that these days?

Gears of War 3 has a suite of medals for interacting with objects a certain number of times. The very highest award - the onyx medal - requires the player to interact with a whopping 2,000 objects. The Gears 3 community learned very quickly that there was a piano in the first chapter where the determined could earn their medal without having to mess around with doors and the like. Special makeup effects artist and puppeteer Guy Himber decided that pressing buttons himself was a mug's game, and instead built a button pressing robot out of Lego.

According to Himber, who - among lots of other things - has worked on movies like Stargate and Crank, as well as the Resident Evil and Underworld series, the robot presses the button so that Himber didn't have to. According to Himber, the device presses the button a little faster than once per second, a total of 67 presses per minute. He thought that only about half of them counted, however, which meant that it took around an hour to get the medal.

While Himber is technically cheating, I don't think that anyone could really hold it against him. After all, the effort of making the robot was probably the equivalent of pressing the button himself anyway - although it was likely a lot more fun. You can watch a video of the robot in action here [http://www.flickr.com/photos/32482342@N05/6268261060/in/photostream/].

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5852987/this-guy-cheated-to-get-an-achievement-but-he-did-it-in-style]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
He essentially made a rube Goldberg device, that repeated itself. I love how pepole will judge this as if gears was boring.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Terminate421 said:
He essentially made a rube Goldberg device, that repeated itself. I love how pepole will judge this as if gears was boring.
I would say that achievements like this are boring in general and are not exclusive to Gears.

Tedious achievements like this shouldn't exist in the first place, they just reflect that you were a good monkey doing the same stuff over and over again - on second thought, this is probably an insult to any monkey out there...

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
The X button will be buggered after this. Now he just needs to make a Lego robot that can do active reloads perfectly.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
So, you can just interact with a piano to get that medal huh? Sweet! I was actually wasting my time pressing an actual button that drops and raises cover in Act 1 Chapter 2 to 'cheat' the system and give me that onyx medal.

Thanks for the tip my friends. :p

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
#Plonk perlonk plongk plonk!#
(One hour Later)
Dom: "Err, Marcus? You done with the piano yet... Marcus?!?"

(PS: this is a dumb achievement, only to be achieved reasonably by playing normally for an extraordinary length of time or by going out of your way. And what "reward" do you get for this? Back in the good old days this would have unlocked a cheat, a new weapon or skin or progress towards a new level but NOOOoOoOoO! All you get is a worthless number added to a worthless tally. I WANT MY CHEATS BACK!! Give me those Unlockables!!)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Treblaine said:
(One hour Later)

(PS: this is a dumb achievement, only to be achieved reasonably by playing normally for an extraordinary length of time or by going out of your way. And what "reward" do you get for this? Back in the good old days this would have unlocked a cheat, a new weapon or skin or progress towards a new level but NOOOoOoOoO! All you get is a worthless number added to a worthless tally. I WANT MY CHEATS BACK!! Give me those Unlockables!!)
The game DOES have a lot of stuff to unlock (mutators are kind of like cheats) but this achievment in particular may not reward anything other then points, dont know for sure.

At least the game has mutators, right? They could have toyed around with them a bit more since those things are awesome to have in a game but its a cool addition overall

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
josemlopes said:
Treblaine said:
(One hour Later)

The game DOES have a lot of stuff to unlock (mutators are kind of like cheats) but this achievment in particular may not reward anything other then points, dont know for sure.

At least the game has mutators, right? They could have toyed around with them a bit more since those things are awesome to have in a game but its a cool addition overall
Well it's no really the same thing.

See I remember playing Tomb Raider Legends, before the Achievements thing really set in, and I got so many hours of enjoyment out of that game, I'll tell you why it's because of the hours I spent getting UNLOCKS. I got new costumes for Lara as well as cheats, but the thing is I had to WORK for them. Challenge, reward.

Especially the speed runs for the REAL unlocks, THOSE were fun. Trying to get through each level in record time with the tantalising reward of the coveted "gold skin" where it looks like Lara has turned into a Solid Block of gold (one of the possible deaths of Ms Croft).

The current way of things the challenge and reward are disconnected. You get the reward for nothing, and for the challenge you get nothing. It's like they are catering to two types of players, the greedy and the masochists and ignoring the enterprising who want to put in big efforts for big rewards.

And no, prestige-ing FOURTEEN TIMES is not an appropriate challenge-reward, Treyarch. SO you have to max out the whole prestige process before you get any of the cosmetic rewards, give me a break! So all progress is essentially over once I get a golden gun option?

Microsoft have said repeatedly your gamerscore is WORTHLESS and always will be, it cannot and will never be redeemed for ANYTHING, tangible or intangible. It is NOTHING but a number.

And it is cheapened in so many ways, how shitty movie tie in games can easily get 100'000 sales by being known for easy achievement whoring.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Treblaine said:
josemlopes said:
Treblaine said:
(One hour Later)

Well it's no really the same thing.

See I remember playing Tomb Raider Legends, before the Achievements thing really set in, and I got so many hours of enjoyment out of that game, I'll tell you why it's because of the hours I spent getting UNLOCKS. I got new costumes for Lara as well as cheats, but the thing is I had to WORK for them. Challenge, reward.

Especially the speed runs for the REAL unlocks, THOSE were fun. Trying to get through each level in record time with the tantalising reward of the coveted "gold skin" where it looks like Lara has turned into a Solid Block of gold (one of the possible deaths of Ms Croft).

The current way of things the challenge and reward are disconnected. You get the reward for nothing, and for the challenge you get nothing. It's like they are catering to two types of players, the greedy and the masochists and ignoring the enterprising who want to put in big efforts for big rewards.

And no, prestige-ing FOURTEEN TIMES is not an appropriate challenge-reward, Treyarch. SO you have to max out the whole prestige process before you get any of the cosmetic rewards, give me a break! So all progress is essentially over once I get a golden gun option?

Microsoft have said repeatedly your gamerscore is WORTHLESS and always will be, it cannot and will never be redeemed for ANYTHING, tangible or intangible. It is NOTHING but a number.

And it is cheapened in so many ways, how shitty movie tie in games can easily get 100'000 sales by being known for easy achievement whoring.
Yeah, I understand, most of them arent challenges, just things like "Kill 1000 enemies", its not a challenge, just something that will eventually happen over time.

The only challenging things are the 50 levels of Horde, finishing the campaign on the hardest difficulty and even then its still stuff that a player was already planning on doing