Gears of War 2 Introduces "Linked Achievements"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Gears of War 2 Introduces "Linked Achievements"

Gears of War 2 will feature 'linked Achievements,' meaning that Achievements earned in the original Gears will help unlock bonuses in the sequel.

Epic's Cliff Bleszinski took the stage at Comic-Con to demonstrate to a live audience the E3 Sinkhole level and describe a new "linked achievements" feature for Gears 2 where achievements unlocked in the first Gears game would open features in the upcoming sequel.

He offered three examples of how the system would work:
[ul]
[li]Complete Act One in Gears Of War and receive a playable Anthony Carmine in Gears of War 2[/li]
[li]Find 10 COG tags in Gears Of War and get Minh Young Kim in Gears of War 2[/li]
[li]Kill Raam in Gears Of War and earn a playable Raam in Gears of War 2[/li]
[/ul]

Questions such as whether all Gears of Wars achievements will be linked to the sequel and what other goodies can be grabbed besides characters won't be answered until closer to the game's November 7 release.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5029602/gears-of-war-2-features-backwards-compatible-linked-achievements]

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I'm very torn on whether or not I like this concept. On one hand, I think it's a very cool way to reward loyalty, and tie the games together. On the other hand, Achievements are effectively content, and it seems annoying to tie access to game content into the ownership of another game.

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
As long as anything offered as an unlockable in GoW2 doesn't affect gameplay for multiplayer, then there isn't any harm done.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Offers some continuity, but the back of my head is screaming "We're going to force you to buy GoW 1 too!" further hardening my position that the unreal engine is in the hands of cretins.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
And as long as the multiplayer achievements for the original don't have anything like this. Those aren't feats, those are grinds.

EDIT: This was meant to follow Logan Frederick's comment.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
As one of the PC gaming elite, I feel obligated to raise my nose in the air and say, "Achievements. Feh."

I also think this is a greasy idea. There's a fine line between rewarding Player Group A and punishing Player Group B, and the way this is sounding so far it pretty clearly crosses it.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Malygris said:
I also think this is a greasy idea. There's a fine line between rewarding Player Group A and punishing Player Group B, and the way this is sounding so far it pretty clearly crosses it.
I really don't see it that way. For the three unlocks described, in any case, only those who've played the first game will have any sentimental connection with the rewards; and since none of these have gameplay advantages, anybody griping about not having them is speaking more out of envy than genuinge aggrievement.

Frankly I'm eagerly awaiting Mass Effect 2's (rumoured?) linking with previous play that allows you to continue with the character and equipment from the first game. Is that greasy, too, or is it something nice for the fans who have played both games?

-- Steve

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Malygris said:
I really don't see it that way. For the three unlocks described, in any case, only those who've played the first game will have any sentimental connection with the rewards; and since none of these have gameplay advantages, anybody griping about not having them is speaking more out of envy than genuinge aggrievement.

Frankly I'm eagerly awaiting Mass Effect 2's (rumoured?) linking with previous play that allows you to continue with the character and equipment from the first game. Is that greasy, too, or is it something nice for the fans who have played both games?

-- Steve
You have to ask yourself "Does it alienate new players, or force them to buy the first game" when you implement these features, if you answer yes you've made your game wrong. Storyline continuations are fine, as someone playing Half Life 2 has no tactical advantage if they played half life 1. However if say you needed half life 1 to use the gravity gun in half life 2, that's bad design similarly if you put achievements in half life 2 for weapon unlocks that require half life 1 achievements (speaking hypothetically, I know Half Life 1 doesn't have achievements) it alienates new players and forces them to buy the first game.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Agreed. Rewarding loyalty is great -- punishing newcomers is not. I think Epic is probably savvy enough to do the former and avoid the latter.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Johnn Johnston said:
So long as the bonuses don't give the player an advantage, I think it's fair.
Yep. I believe this is the long and short of it.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Scary, cuz if one dev does give players advantage, that'll open the door for all of them to do it. But I don't think anyone really wants to get into that kind of a mess.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Skrapt said:
However if say you needed half life 1 to use the gravity gun in half life 2, that's bad design similarly if you put achievements in half life 2 for weapon unlocks that require half life 1 achievements (speaking hypothetically, I know Half Life 1 doesn't have achievements) it alienates new players and forces them to buy the first game.
I agree with you, but don't see the relevance here. Nothing that Epic has spoken about would act in that manner; the unlocks they're talking about are all cosmetic, having zero impact on game play. Panic is premature at this stage; please lower the alert level to "A Nice Cup of Tea."

-- Steve

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Seconded. So long as it is just new single-player skins (or unlockables to that general extent), a nice cup of tea we shall have.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Anton P. Nym said:
Malygris said:

-- Steve
I think it will work diffirently in Mass Effect, the idea is to let your choices in one affect game two and three, but you can probably choose in the begening of those games the general path you made so far if you are starting a new char.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Andraste said:
Johnn Johnston said:
So long as the bonuses don't give the player an advantage, I think it's fair.
Yep. I believe this is the long and short of it.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Scary, cuz if one dev does give players advantage, that'll open the door for all of them to do it. But I don't think anyone really wants to get into that kind of a mess.
True!
I remember when Rare attempted to do this with Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-tooie But in reverse, you'd need the sequel (Banjo-tooie) to unlock certain areas in the original Banjo-Kazooie that were actually THERE in the original game but blocked off from your access in a cheeky//teasing way.
I think they scrapped the idea cos of certain factors (the cost and time of developing and implementing a cartridge-docking system and ethical concerns of forcing people to buy both their games etc.)

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Skrapt said:
However if say you needed half life 1 to use the gravity gun in half life 2, that's bad design similarly if you put achievements in half life 2 for weapon unlocks that require half life 1 achievements (speaking hypothetically, I know Half Life 1 doesn't have achievements) it alienates new players and forces them to buy the first game.
I agree with you, but don't see the relevance here. Nothing that Epic has spoken about would act in that manner; the unlocks they're talking about are all cosmetic, having zero impact on game play. Panic is premature at this stage; please lower the alert level to "A Nice Cup of Tea."

-- Steve
I would, but I'm feeling particularly nasty towards Epic atm, because it seems to me like they're just becoming a new EA, releasing crap ports/games and blaming bad sales on everything but themselves.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
I've just spoken to someone at Epic and he said the new characters are cosmetic only, no special attributes. I think this falls safely within the area of easter eggs rewarding loyalty.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Skrapt said:
I would, but I'm feeling particularly nasty towards Epic atm, because it seems to me like they're just becoming a new EA, releasing crap ports/games and blaming bad sales on everything but themselves.
I don't see where you get that idea, could you explain please?

No seriously, I'm not too fond of Epic.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
If it's purely cosmetic, fine, go ahead. It's no different to Psycho Mantis announcing "Yoooou've been playing Super Mario Sunshine!" in Twin Snakes, or unlocking Rosalina via Super Mario Galaxy in Mario Kart Wii. Or getting the Olimar trophy from a Pikmin save in SSBM.

This stuff has been done before, just not using an existing Achievements/Trophies platform.