Gears of War 2 Introduces "Linked Achievements"

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
Skrapt said:
I would, but I'm feeling particularly nasty towards Epic atm, because it seems to me like they're just becoming a new EA, releasing crap ports/games and blaming bad sales on everything but themselves.
I don't see where you get that idea, could you explain please?

No seriously, I'm not too fond of Epic.
They blamed bad UT3 PC sales on piracy, when they released a game that didn't work, performed badly and took most of the fun stuff out of Unreal tournament. Instead of admitting they had done a terrible job, and attempting to fix it, they blamed piracy, threw a hissy fit and moved all their energy onto consoles. Seems just like EA to me to be honest, just take Crysis it sold far better then it should have done yet the producers said they expected more and piracy was to blame when they had built a game designed for less then 1% of hardcore PC users with a very powerful computer. Piracy is a problem, but it's turning into the industry scapegoat for releasing an unfinished game/bad game, and not wanting to fix it.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Andraste said:
I've just spoken to someone at Epic and he said the new characters are cosmetic only, no special attributes. I think this falls safely within the area of easter eggs rewarding loyalty.
Cool cool. North Carolina a small place I hear. ^^

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
So what's the deal then, these characters are just bonus skins for multiplayer use? If that's the case, fine, I don't particularly care about that - the fine line between punishment and reward has (apparently) been stepped away from.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
That is a really cool idea but I'd hate to get a new game and then try and fill up my achievements list, only to realize "Achievement locked, buy Gears of War to unlock" - then I'd get pissed off.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
That is a really cool idea but I'd hate to get a new game and then try and fill up my achievements list, only to realize "Achievement locked, buy Gears of War to unlock" - then I'd get pissed off.
Well, I highly doubt anyone would be stupid enough to do that. If they did, they'd probably get yelled at and pull a Turok by changing the achievement post release.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
As long as its previously unlocked Achievements unlocking features, I think that's fine.

If they start doing it so that you can't earn an achievement in the new game without having earned some particular achievement in the previous game, then I call foul.

That's the next logical step and they have to be aware that it's over the line.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Ahh but the thing here is that the Achievments only unlock old (and very dead characters) so the only people who will want to play as them will be the people who know who they are... which are the people that played the first Gears of War and have these achievments.

I don't think many of the people who plan on getting number two have gone without number one. Its not as if the content is that great anyway, you're just missing out on the two most annoying characters and the biggest.

Rainbow Six Vegas Two did this to a greater scale.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Yeh, I'm alright with this move. It's a nice way for people who liked Carmine and Kim to play as them in the game. As long as it doesn't stop others from getting achievements, or makes the playing field uneven, then I'm cool with it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
These arn't so much as achievments as they are unlockables. Sure they probably come with a couple of gamer points, but it's like what R+C do with their games, if you have a save file of the previous games you get all the weapons you had in the game before it. It's not required, but it's a nice extra.

If these do come with gamerpoints (hence, the "achievment") then I don't think it's entirly fair for people just getting into the franchise who are also achievment whores.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
I think I stopped caring along with alot of people above the age of 13 about GeOW 2 the second they mentioned "meat shield"

Daxter-Jak X combat racing

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I like this idea a lot and I wish more game companies would do things like this. I don't think anybody is going to run out and buy Gears 1 just to play as Raam, or buy City of Villains just to build superbases, but the little nods like that show a lot of fidelity for your loyal fans.