Gears of War 3 Beta Offers Exclusive Weaponry

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gears of War 3 Beta Offers Exclusive Weaponry

Players of the Gears of War 3 beta have the opportunity to unlock exclusive weapon variants in the full game.

As if getting to play Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299342536&sr=8-1] early by taking part in its multiplayer beta wasn't enough, Epic Games is also awarding players that complete certain conditions with beta-exclusive weapon variants. Epic recently announced that the beta will begin on April 18 and end on May 15.

However, only purchasers of Epic and People Can Fly's be able to play [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Xbox-360/dp/B003H0CC2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299343104&sr=8-1] up until April 25. On that date, the Gears of War 3 beta will be open to everyone that pre-orders the game through select retailers.

Epic will start the beta with a single multiplayer mode, Team Deathmatch, and later add Capture the Leader and King of the Hill. These modes will be playable on four new maps: Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town. The studio is also teasing a "surprise event weekend" it says "you won't want to miss."

One of the coolest advantages to playing the beta are probably the exclusive unlocks that carry over into the full game. Epic describes these unlocks and the methods for obtaining them as follows:

Flaming Hammerburst
Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 to permanently unlock.
Flaming Lancer
Complete one match during the week of April 25 to permanently unlock.
Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun
Complete one match during the week of May 2 to permanently unlock.
Flaming Gnasher Shotgun
Complete one match during the week of May 9 to permanently unlock.
Beta Tester Medal -- Wear it proudly, Gear.
Complete one match in the Beta to permanently unlock.
Thrashball Cole -- Unlock Thrashball Cole to play as Augustus Cole as he was before Emergence Day -- a legendary Thrashball athlete known for his ferocious, flamboyant style.
Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.
Gold-Plated Retro Lancer -- Before the chainsaw bayonet was deployed at the beginning of the Locust-Human War, the original Lancer assault rifle had a large fixed blade.
Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
To permanently unlock, score 100 kills with the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer during the Beta period.

The weapon variants of previous Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-Triple-Pack-Xbox-360/dp/B004JSDQPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299344262&sr=1-1] games were highly sought after, so this is definitely a great way for Epic to get players to help test Gears of War 3 and to drum up early pre-orders. Gears of War 3 will be available for the Xbox 360 in fall 2011.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Very nice to have a date for it.

Not so nice that it begins three days before Portal 2 is released.

It seems Portal 2 shall have to be put on hold for a little while, seeing as it can be played any time and all.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I just bought Bulletstorm: Epic Edition and was wondering "Meh, why should I even give this a try? If I was to play Gears again, I'd better have a pretty good f@#$ing reason."

Tom Goldman said:
One of the coolest advantages to playing the beta are probably the exclusive unlocks that carry over into the full game. Epic describes these unlocks and the methods for obtaining them as follows:

Flaming Hammerburst
Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 to permanently unlock.
Flaming Lancer
Complete one match during the week of April 25 to permanently unlock.
Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun
Complete one match during the week of May 2 to permanently unlock.
Flaming Gnasher Shotgun
Complete one match during the week of May 9 to permanently unlock.
Beta Tester Medal -- Wear it proudly, Gear.
Complete one match in the Beta to permanently unlock.
Thrashball Cole -- Unlock Thrashball Cole to play as Augustus Cole as he was before Emergence Day -- a legendary Thrashball athlete known for his ferocious, flamboyant style.
Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.
Gold-Plated Retro Lancer -- Before the chainsaw bayonet was deployed at the beginning of the Locust-Human War, the original Lancer assault rifle had a large fixed blade.
Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
To permanently unlock, score 100 kills with the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer during the Beta period.
Hmm, that's a pretty good f@#$ing reason to me. Might have to play Gears 1 again just so I can be somewhat to par when I give the beta a go.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
YES. Get stuck in!
I'm SO playing the hell out of the Beta when it's released. 90 Matches? Bring it. 100 kills after 90 matches for the Gold Lancer? Come at me, challenge.

Personally, I'd like the Peace Maker Carbine as an Alt skin for the Lancer for people who simply brought the Bulletstorm Epic Edition. That would be SO. FREAKIN'. EPIC. No pun intended.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
I want these weapons but I wonder if I ever can get into the Beta itself. I don't even know the criteria and I am probably the biggest Gearshead on the Escapist.
Tom Goldman said:
However, only purchasers of Epic and People Can Fly's be able to play [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Xbox-360/dp/B003H0CC2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299343104&sr=8-1] up until April 25. On that date, the Gears of War 3 beta will be open to everyone that pre-orders the game through select retailers.
:)

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
I want these weapons but I wonder if I ever can get into the Beta itself. I don't even know the criteria and I am probably the biggest Gearshead on the Escapist.
Seems if you got Bulletstrom(I assume only 360 version counts.) you get early access to the beta then everyone else can get it from the Marketplace on the 25th of April.

Edit: Opps YOu have to pre-order for it my mistake.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Tom Goldman said:
Straying Bullet said:
Tom Goldman said:
:)
Thanks but I live in the Netherlands. I "pre-ordered" the game already but I wonder if their select retailers also exist in the Netherlands.
Ah, gotcha.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
*Looks over at his copy of Bulletstorm* Bwahahahahaha.

Welp, I officially can't wait for April to come around so I can get in. I really wouldn't mind some unlock able bragging rights when the game comes out. Especially if it isn't a pre-order bonus.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Nice...it would be nice if it didn't require Gold Membership to play the Beta of Gears 3...then again it's Microsofts console I am speaking of...so most likely I need Gold Membership to play the beta. Hope I get some money until Beta starts.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I'm just hoping that the Gnasher 2-Piece is removed. If Epic can make that not a viable strategy, I'll be playing Gears 3 until the next console generation.

Also, flaming weapons? Awesome.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Man, I can't help but see UT3 in that screenshot. I'm not sure If I've been using Unreal too long or Epic just has a particular art style but man of man I can see it.

I will never understand why people are so enthralled by weapons. Usually it boils down to a different gun model and a few new lines of code, or even just some changed defaults. It really not that much of a boost.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
holy shit, I'm so gonna be busy in april and may. I so want the special weapons and features badly!

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Oh sweet you can access the beta via preorder?

I thought it was for Bulletstorm buyers only. Seems like I'll be going for these after all.

RSGstyle

Dec 16, 2010
The only upside to playing the Gears of War 3 beta early, besides playing it early, is that you can unlock the Flaming Hammerburst.

The Hammerburst requires that one match be played before April 24th. Beta is open to non-purchasers of Bulletstorm on the 25th.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Will this game be available for PS3 owners? I played through the first two at my friend's house on his Xbox but this time I'm going to get it... if I can...