Gears of War 3 Might Be Gears of Waterworld

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
GRoXERs said:
John Funk said:
Gears 3 will also have mechs called "Silverbacks" if the magazine is to be believed (Funk sidenote: YESSSSSSSSSS), and the difficulty will be a bit dialed back - Epic's statistics show that 60% of players never beat Gears 2, and they'd like to change that.
Silverbacks sound amazing, but frankly the difficulty needs to stay the same or get harder - Gears 2 on insane was flat-out EASY if you were playing with a friend. I'm just hoping the "silverbacks" don't make it into multiplayer, as it will become even more of a "rush/camp the overpowered weapon" game than it already is.
I've come up with a solution to that problem; the weapon only spawns once, so you'd have an immense insentive to get the weapon but once one team does get it, the weapon won't spawn again until the next round.
If they do make it into multiplayer and they are as big as I think they are, then the maps will have to be huge. Maybe even to the point where it'll be platoon vs. platoon instead of squad on squad...ok maybe I'm being too optimistic but still if the mechs are big then it really makes you think about it.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Sounds like Wind Waker. Only Wind Waker was awesome and this holds absolutely no interest for me whatsoever.

LokiSeto

KUL Member
Jan 25, 2008
Well speaking from someone who read the first two books I have to say that the island part would be pretty accurate as that's where they moved to. Even the Raven's Nest is a place that was mentioned. Pretty much most of the navy that the Cogs had left were joined together to create some living space until they moved to the island.

The Mechs are new though... haven't heard of them.

But the world isn't flooded, the government isn't falling apart since it's already broken to peices. So very little of it actually exsists now. And as for "tribes" well some of it will be tribes that have been on islands and lost contact with the main lands since the Hammer of Dawn was unleashed across the planet but more or less I bet it'll be stranded. Dang Stranded...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Does anyone else here read the books (I know, Gears without gameplay=weird, but still)? Just reading what this article is about had me doubting a LOT of it. Seeing as Karen wrote the books and is now the head writer of the third game, I can't imagine Gears 3 being the way they're describing it. J's Remnant had them on an rather large island with friendlies and evil Stranded. There are other island nations out there that have never been touched by the Locust. So the "Tribes" thing sounds possible, but everything else is a big if.

Unless the new book this August burns everything set up in Remnant, then okay.

Mechs? Really? Okay, logic problem: Humanity has been fighting a losing war for years now, with everything being rationed and stuff being scrapped and salvaged because it keeps breaking. The industry no longer exists for these people and they are struggling to survive. WHERE DO THEY GET THE PARTS TO START BUILDING MECHS?!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
John Funk said:
Gears 3 will also have mechs called "Silverbacks" if the magazine is to be believed (Funk sidenote: YESSSSSSSSSS),
are you also looking foward to Lost Planet 2? It will have mechs and from what I heard in a video, in co-op their will be a mech that if two players get in and get close they can combine. 0.0

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
The was too easy, not too hard. Those 60% of people probably didn't play the campaign properly. I know way too many people who would top the MP ladder but never even attempt the story mode. DON'T DUMB IT DOWN!!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
What? No new Carmine(s)? They must have him.
I'm fairly sure we'll get another Carmine. Maybe this one will even come with a countdown timer somewhere on his armor...
They probably just didn't bring him up here because despite being established as GoW's "running joke", which is kinda cool, he is still just a red shirt and as such doesn't warrant a mention.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Okay, a couple of important things i've translated for all of you:

* Difficulty will be dropped only for "Casual" level (which means that "Hardcore" and "Insane" will not become easier).
* Some of the new weapons: "mole grenade" launcher, double-barreled shotgun, sniper rifle with cumulative damage (each next shot deals more damage), three types of grenades - fragmentation, incendiary, and smoke.
* New finishing moves (of course).
* Four-player co-op, and now you can exchange weapons with teammates.
* Some levels - both in single- and multiplayer - will now be changed in real-time by earthquakes, whatever that means.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Seems interesting... Too bad this is just speculation. I won't believe anything until Epic spits out the info I want.

Wither

Nov 19, 2009
Wait wait wait.... gears of war 2 was too hard? But.. I'm shit at shooters and I beat it with like.. 3 deaths.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
I hope Cole dies and C. Carmine lives....or Cole dies and Carmine doesnt live, or Cole dies and...uh...I dont care. I just want Cole dead. Replace him with a respectable black guy if you want though.

People didnt beat Gears 2 because too may people like to waste the games they get. Online focused games tend to attract people who dont play single player. I hate those people. They made me lose interest in Halo.