Gears of War 3 Might Be Gears of Waterworld

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gears of War 3 Might Be Gears of Waterworld

If leaks from a Russian gaming magazine are to be believed, Waterworld [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77663]: A flooded world, man-made islands, and Kevin Costner. Maybe not Kevin Costner.

We know a bit about Gears of War 3 already: We know that it's being written by an one-time support character Anya [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99948-Gears-of-War-3-Writer-is-Acclaimed-Star-Wars-Novelist]).

Now, thanks to scans of a Russian gaming mag, we might know more. There are quite a few juicy tidbits of information here, but they're also potential spoilers, so consider yourselves under the effects of a SPOILER ALERT: YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET SPOILED.

(Also, it goes without saying that with all fan translations of leaked information, you should take all of this with a grain of salt. The scans appear to be legit, but it's best to be skeptical - none of this is gospel until we hear it straight from Epic.)

According to translations on the Epic forums [http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=727462], Gears 3 takes place 18 months after the end of Gears 2, and the entire planet has been flooded. Humanity has been fractured, with the government collapsing and everybody else taking to the seas, splitting up into "tribes" that fend for themselves.

Much of the Gears 3 story will allegedly take place on (and in, and beneath) "Raven's Nest," a man-made island created by lashing multiple warships together. Marcus Fenix is returning as the protagonist, of course, and will be joined by Dom, Cole, Baird, Anya, and surprisingly Marcus' father Adam. Baird and Cole will get their own storyline in the game, doubling the series' BQ (or "Bromance Quotient").

The magazine claims that while Gears 3 will end Marcus Fenix's story, Epic isn't done with the franchise yet, and could venture into prequel or spin-off territory, even with games in completely different genres. Do I hear COG Kart and Dom's Lancer Training? I think I do!

Gears 3 will also have mechs called "Silverbacks" if the magazine is to be believed (Funk sidenote: YESSSSSSSSSS), and the difficulty will be a bit dialed back - Epic's statistics show that 60% of players never beat Gears 2, and they'd like to change that.

There's a lot of interesting stuff here, to be sure - but how much of it is real? The scans look legitimate, but a Tweet from Epic frontman Cliff Bleszinski [http://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/statuses/13430814503] throws it into question: "Please don't trust badly translated leaked scanned info on Gears 3. Lots of false info out there."

So I guess reports that Marcus Fenix will be growing gills on his neck remain unconfirmed.

(Kotaku [http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=727462])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I like Water levels...When they don't involving diving into the water and hunting for air pockets. But levels where its shallow enough to walk through are generally fun.

And Gears 2 wasn't hard. The vehicle level was. THAT LEVEL FUCKING SUCKED. Driving over the stupid ice with horrid controls...ARGH!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Ooo... the sound of Gears 3 having mechs has me very interested.

Marcus Fenix is returning as the protagonist, of course, and will be joined by Dom, Cole, Baird, Anya, and surprisingly Marcus' father Adam.
What? No new Carmine(s)? They must have him.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Cliffy would say that though, wouldn't he. I don't imagine the water setting will change much, apart from aesthetically, without some vast control overhaul that the series really doesn't need. Also, don't make it too vehicle based, because they are by far the worst parts of both games. I can see fucking speedboat battles on the horizon and I don't much like it.

All of this is assuming the info is true, of course.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
John Funk said:
Gears 3 will also have mechs called "Silverbacks" if the magazine is to be believed (Funk sidenote: YESSSSSSSSSS), and the difficulty will be a bit dialed back - Epic's statistics show that 60% of players never beat Gears 2, and they'd like to change that.
Silverbacks sound amazing, but frankly the difficulty needs to stay the same or get harder - Gears 2 on insane was flat-out EASY if you were playing with a friend. I'm just hoping the "silverbacks" don't make it into multiplayer, as it will become even more of a "rush/camp the overpowered weapon" game than it already is.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I didnt complete Gears 2 becasue of its difficulty I didnt complete it because it wasnt very good. I like Horde mode and thats about it.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
only 60% complete gears 2....
WTF.
I knew it was targetted at people with short attention.....

oh look, a squirrel...

i completed it. yay, im in the minoity!

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Actually humans living on a floating island would make sense, means the locust cant burrow underneath it.

If it is true it'd be a base of operations at best.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
John Funk said:
and the difficulty will be a bit dialed back - Epic's statistics show that 60% of players never beat Gears 2, and they'd like to change that.
The Fuck?! Gears of War 2 wasn't even that hard on 'Insane' difficulty mode for Christ sake. The sole exception being a couple of the vehicle parts, and even then it was only on very specific sections of those parts.

You know why people don't beat it Epic? It's because, like Bungie with Halo 3 and whichever company with Modern Warfare you pretty much abandoned the campaign in comparison to the multiplayer.

If this were on the Gears forums a month prior to release I'd be more likely to believe it, someone got hold of Gears 2 and did pretty much this, all of it turning out to be true. In this case though the game isn't anywhere near made and it's from a "magazine" so unless a June/July Edition of a gaming mag confirms it I wouldn't hold our breaths.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Where can i take a look at those scans? Link to Gears 3 forum seems to be broken, or thread was deleted. I bet i could provide a pretty accurate translation.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Wow, really, Gears 2 wasn't really all that difficult. I mean the game is pretty easy if you make sure to stay in cover and don't expose your self for too long. Just make sure you stop aiming and drop down when you start going red and you've pretty much covered it.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Sovvolf said:
Wow, really, Gears 2 wasn't really all that difficult. I mean the game is pretty easy if you make sure to stay in cover and don't expose your self for too long. Just make sure you stop aiming and drop down when you start going red and you've pretty much covered it.
So long as you didn't miss the douche with the Torque Bow by accident.

Ok, I'm way behind on the times as I'm just about to finish the first game this week, but lord that has happened more times that I would care to count.

Helmet

Could use a beer about now...
May 14, 2008
John Funk said:
... the difficulty will be a bit dialed back - Epic's statistics show that 60% of players never beat Gears 2, and they'd like to change that.
Wha.. What?

I beat Gears 2 on solo Insane the day it came out! I helped two other friends beat it on co-op Insane that week!

They ought to make it harder. I had more trouble with Gears 1 Hardcore difficulty than Gears 2 Insane difficulty.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Gears of Travissty.

And yeah, Gears 2 was a tad easy, I mean me and my co-op buddy are pretty much fucking unstoppable anyway, but it maybe took us a week to squeeze it dry of everything but Horde.

Apr 28, 2008
John Funk said:
...and the difficulty will be a bit dialed back - Epic's statistics show that 60% of players never beat Gears 2, and they'd like to change that.
Maybe people didn't beat the game because they, you know, didn't give a shit about the story?

Try writing a better story. Maybe then people will give your story mode a chance. The difficulty was way too easy. Even on insane.

I may not get this. Probably rent it, but thats about it.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
well, gears 2 did feel pretty damn long.
note I said it FEELS long.
oh, this massive bug must be the grand finale
oh, no.
maybe finding maria
nope
maybe we can fight this queen thing, that'll be the end.
nope.
oh, well, we can reclaim jascinto.
not quite
oh, going back underground to set off another bomb, eh
FUCK YEA RIDING THAT GIANT THING WITH GUNS AND MISSILES!
OH, SHIT LAMBENT!
FUCK THAT SHIT UP!
OOHHHAAAHHH!
oh, now it's over.
damn.
Just give it good writing, give us a sense of progress in the campaign, and then more people will complete it.
also, I like the driving level, that was a lot of fun, and I wish we could have some vehicles in MP.
and decent netcode.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Jhereg42 said:
Sovvolf said:
So long as you didn't miss the douche with the Torque Bow by accident.

Ok, I'm way behind on the times as I'm just about to finish the first game this week, but lord that has happened more times that I would care to count.
The sound of evil the Torque is. Your being cautious and taking your shots carefully, wiped most of them out and now down to the last few men, your just about to drop down into cover then "THUNK". Worse thing is, the bow delays before exploding so you get them extra seconds to go "FUCK", though my main one is "Wait... die I just here a arr-BOOOOMMM!!!.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I like the idea of some water based levels but not the supposed storyline

Armored Prayer said:
Ooo... the sound of Gears 3 having mechs has me very interested.

Marcus Fenix is returning as the protagonist, of course, and will be joined by Dom, Cole, Baird, Anya, and surprisingly Marcus' father Adam.
What? No new Carmine(s)? They must have him.
there must be at least one Carmine, there are still two boys left in that family

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Prometherion said:
Actually humans living on a floating island would make sense, means the locust cant burrow underneath it.

If it is true it'd be a base of operations at best.
Aye, sounds like that...and, it makers some what wghat sense...but, how will it go from there is a good question