Gears of War 3 Review

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. Didn't even know this was out.

Played a bit of the multiplayer beta on a friend' 360. It was pretty fun.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
I myself welcome our new benevolent and merciful over-lord Steve Butts.
I could joke about how another Space Marine game was released in the same month, but I'll leave that for someone else, because you have to be pretty misanthropic to say that...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Gears of War is one of those series that I wish were on the PC as well (the first one is, I know), because some days you just aren't in the mood for the strategies and RPGs and just want to pick up a huge burly testosterone-loaded musclehead and kick some arse. However, this just means I get to give my money to Relic for Space Marine and Epic can go suck it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It's out already? Colour me surprised. And I'm even more surprised at the lack of a review for Space Marine.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
5 more days to go! Can't wait to rejoin delta squad and kick some arse for humanity (or for the locus horde in the awesome sounding beast mode!)!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Dangit, I want this game real bad now. Have the previous 2, and love both. And the critics have been loving the heck out of this game, which is usually a good sign. 9 from IGN, 9.5 from both GI and Gamespot, 4.5 out of 5 stars from Gamepro, 5 stars from Giantbomb, 4 out of 5 stars from here... Makes me sad that I am but a poor student with 'naught but $13 to my name. :( Looks like it is time to sell organs on the black market again...

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
So, great as expected.

Until now, i had a hard time convincing myself to buy the game, given that it is one game where i know i'll get exactly what i expect, wich is a bit boring now matter if i actually get something good.

But now since it's almost there i'm starting to remember how fun the campaigns were especially in Coop, and, to be honest, i really want to see how it turns out storywise.

Although i'm not saying the story of the GOW Games is especially great, i feel like it's still pretty underrated because "hurr durr dumb homophobe jock musclemonstas" (wich is kinda ironic in itself).
That said, it's sad that the games themselves do thier best to not care about the background story (especially the first one wich felt like it was just missing an establishing prologue).

Still, it's kind of fascinating for me how GOW tells an EXTREMELY bleak and depressing story of how humans constantly fuck up so hard that they pretty much ride towards extinction all by themselves since everything they do just make matters worse...
...from burning down almost thier entire world before the start of the first game to the bomb you blow up at the end of it that in the second game turns out to not having been all that useful and instead just caused a deadly plague among humans. And in the end of the second game, you sink the ONLY AT LEAST SOMEWHAT SAFE PLACE for humans to live
I guess i'm actually pretty curious if the story ends with humanity finishing itself off or actually doing something right for once in three games ^^.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Personally, given that all women in this universe are relegated to "breeder" roles by the lore, I couldn't care any less how the story ends.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Partially unrelated to the review, I find it odd for an American based website to put out a review at what amounts to the middle of the night over here (2am central time). You burnnin' the midnight oil Steve?

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
At least they kept Cole and Dom well characterised, while Marcus' response throughout all the games has been to swear at everything, although I would have liked some emotion from him considering he is ment to find his dead father alive.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Despite the fact that I don't own a 360, I would probably give these games a try if it weren't for the fact that characters and enemies have such horrible designs.

I just can't stand them and the macho, power armour look the characters all have...and this is coming from someone who loves the Warhammer 40K universe.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Goddamn it Epic, stop making me wait and:

Five days to go. I hope the wait is worth it.

Fat4all

Aug 6, 2011
If you look on MetaCritic, you will see that nearly all the reviews have been posted close to 3 or 4 a.m. EST.

Usually review sites already have played their copies sent to them from the developer, and have their review ready in advance of the game coming out, but are embargoed from releasing that review until a set date agreed upon by general consensus and the productive team.

Sometimes this means we don't see a review until after a game comes out, sometimes it's a week or more before the game comes out.

The embargo for Gears 3 reviews expired about an hour ago, so boom, loads of reviews.

I'm guessing that Epic and Microsoft figured that the press would be quite good for the game, and agreed that the embargo would be days before-hand, getting the press truck rolling for sales day, which is always a smart idea.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Nice review, and me personally can't wait for Tuesday. A few friends and I are going to the midnight release, fans since the start.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hey now, I'm not 'passing up' Gears 3 I'm waiting an extra few months for the complete edition to be released like I did with Gears 2. Also, and this is a bit off topic, but why is it Yahtzee is the only one on here that doesn't get bleeped when he swears...? Why not let everyone swear freely when it's obvious what's being said anyway?