Gears of War 3 Review

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Eh, in my head, it's 3 stars, but to each his own, I guess.
I always thought Gears of War was too boring, both in gameplay, variety, and aesthetics, and if they aren't making any changes, it's not a buy for me.

BreakdownBoy

Jan 21, 2011
Wow, so looking forward to this game...oh wait, it's a 360 exclusive so no PC version. Guess I'll just spend my money on other things like food and my morgage.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Business as usual over at Epic it seems.

As far as i've been able to tell about the GoW series as a whole it's only enjoyable because of excellent gameplay, not at all due to engaging characters or a well-told story.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I don't know... the characters being moody dicks seems totally appropriate to the situation they are in.
Same with the voices. Big, hardened and battle-scarred Marine has a gravely voice? Yup, seems about right.

Those graphics look pretty stunningly detailed and it seems they have tried to break up the grey/brown somewhat more.

I'm actually not much of a Gears fan myself (played the first but lost interest before the end and played a bit of the second), but it seems like a great game for anyone in to that franchise or Third Person Shooters in general.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Gears may have done cover-based shooting first (actually, Kill/Switch predates it by a full console generation) but loads of other games have done it better. Pretty much the only game in which the shooting felt less natural to me than in Gears is Alpha Protocol, which is really just an RPG dressed up to look like a spy game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I can't wait to tell all the Karen Traviss naysayers that a story is good for a change.
Definitely looking forward to this one.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Wow @55 I could easily see the locust blimp shrink, disappear, and be replaced with an explosion :p

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
That's all fine and good, but does it have a certain song somewhere in it? You know the one.

[sub][sub]What's your name son? Private Clay Carmine![/sub][/sub]

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I'm surprised to see so many reviews for Gears of War 3 coming out so early.
It's just making me more excited for the game's release!

NickFury90

May 15, 2011
Gears of War, the game about big space marines with chainsaws on their guns killing aliens, and Escapist is talking about the story like its the main appeal.

Sometimes I wonder if you people actually enjoy video games, and not interactive stories.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
When EPIC decides to NOT be a dick and release Gow 2&3 for PC... call me... other wise, I am going back to Spacemarine/Deus Ex...

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Cole Train? Seriously? It must have been all those giant steps broke his name in two. Him and his buddies Mars Alis and Arms Trong work together to make April in Paris safe for everyone.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I've never played a GoW game and this is really the first time I've looked at the gameplay in motion.

Wow... those guys have really big arms. I mean really... c'mon...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
EiC-ing during the daytime, reviewing at night.

Our new overlord knows no rest.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mataki's in the game! I've always wanted to know what she looks like. So glad I read Coalition's End because it looks like the game is picking up exactly where the story leaves off. Sweet!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Silly question, was their a giant sea monster in Gears 2? I dont remember one but one review i read mentions that its back in Gears 3.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I loved the beginning of the video review. I'm glad to hear it's a good game, I've never been into the series but it's a big one and deserves a good finale.