Gears of War 3 Review

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
That was a great motherf**king review, Steve.

Ans I have to say, the most notable change was the addition of green to the color palette. Now can Tuesday come already?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
I would be interested in playing GOW3 if it were released on PC....but I guess Epic doesn't want our money.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I like how PC elitists get to moan about an Xbox exclusive, but when it comes to PC exclusives, 'NO YOUR NOT TOUCHING IT CONSOLE KIDS!'

I use both as a gaming platform before you come at me with 'PC's are better in every way shape or form'.

ANYWAY... I'm very much looking forward to this game, more excited for this than the previous 2, and that's really something to marvel at.

Also, 4 player co op, HELL YEAH!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wait so no 5 stars because some characters felt lacking? well IGN did the same thing

but still, I preordered the game and all and have been waiting 3 years for this game to come out...but funny that I didn't truly start feeling excited (prob distracted by the myriad of cool games coming out this fall) until 4 days before the game is to be released :D can't waiaiiiitt but I'll have to cuz I'll be studying until and right after the game comes out =.=

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Silly question, was their a giant sea monster in Gears 2? I dont remember one but one review i read mentions that its back in Gears 3.
Yeah, the Leviathan. You fought it when you were underground riding on the raft in the lake. It was the monster that you had to throw grenades down its throat.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
thehorror2 said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Gears may have done cover-based shooting first (actually, Kill/Switch predates it by a full console generation)
Holy shit someone else played Kill Switch? I loved the shit out of that game. But I disagree on your point about Gears. I find the game really smooth and easy to handle.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
duchaked said:
wait so no 5 stars because some characters felt lacking? well IGN did the same thing

but still, I preordered the game and all and have been waiting 3 years for this game to come out...but funny that I didn't truly start feeling excited (prob distracted by the myriad of cool games coming out this fall) until 4 days before the game is to be released :D can't waiaiiiitt but I'll have to cuz I'll be studying until and right after the game comes out =.=
I'm with you, man. Well, not on the "studying" part, on the "anticipation" and the "lots of games releases" part. There are SO MANY games coming out this year; Resistance 3, Space Marine, and Dead Island realesed already in just THIS MONTH.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
torno said:
duchaked said:
I'm with you, man. Well, not on the "studying" part, on the "anticipation" and the "lots of games releases" part. There are SO MANY games coming out this year; Resistance 3, Space Marine, and Dead Island realesed already in just THIS MONTH.
yeah seriously! and not just the big franchise titles (like all the ones with "3" lol), but yea even games like Space Marine have surprisingly caught my attention and I'm like...hurr can't keep up o_O might take until this time next year haha...

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
MonkeyPunch said:
I don't know... the characters being moody dicks seems totally appropriate to the situation they are in. Same with the voices. Big, hardened and battle-scarred Marine has a gravely voice? Yup, seems about right.
I thought the same thing. I haven't played since the first (PC) and I wasn't surprised by that. What else would you expect? Sensitivity? By all accounts a good game, this being about the worst review I've seen with "only" 4 out of 5. Nice for the console crowd.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Personally, given that all women in this universe are relegated to "breeder" roles by the lore, I couldn't care any less how the story ends.
Where the hell does it say that?

Also Anya disagrees.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Even though I played the first two, I have no intention of buying this installment. The second one bored me to tears so much that I'll probably just watch the ending cinematic on youtube or something, just to finally see marcus and dom walk down the steroid infused isle.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Personally, given that all women in this universe are relegated to "breeder" roles by the lore, I couldn't care any less how the story ends.
Actually, this issue has been addressed in Gears 3. There are female soldiers now, instead of being non-factors. I remember reading about how EPIC would explain the lack of female soldiers. I recall EPIC saying something about the women being breeders but since the events of Gears 2 there are very few soldiers left so the women gotta role up their sleeves.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
Obviously, this guy didnt realize that ICE "MUTHAFUKIN-5-out-of-5" T is in this game. I demand you correct your score.

I also like the clip of Cole-Train "putting the team on his back doe"

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Silly question, was their a giant sea monster in Gears 2? I dont remember one but one review i read mentions that its back in Gears 3.
Yeah, the Leviathan. You fought it when you were underground riding on the raft in the lake. It was the monster that you had to throw grenades down its throat.
Now i remember, thanks.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I had NO intention of getting this but if the story is as interesting as he says then I may pick it up when it drops to bargain basement price. But even watching the review all I could think was *sigh*. The first GoW I sort of enjoyed but the second bored me to tears. The story was interesting towards the end though in a "that seems kind of silly but refreshingly unexpected none the less" sort of way.

It's by no means jumped up to a must-buy but it has jumped up to a maybe at least.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
Actually, this issue has been addressed in Gears 3. There are female soldiers now, instead of being non-factors. I remember reading about how EPIC would explain the lack of female soldiers. I recall EPIC saying something about the women being breeders but since the events of Gears 2 there are very few soldiers left so the women gotta role up their sleeves.
And that isn't a patronising display of tokenism at all...

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
Well to be totally honest, if the world was reduced to 5-10% of its population, you don't think we'd do the same?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
JokerboyJordan said:
leviadragon99 said:
Krunkcity3000 said:
leviadragon99 said:
Well to be totally honest, if the world was reduced to 5-10% of its population, you don't think we'd do the same?
So....forcibly subjugating women, requiring all of them to be "breeders", is okay with you just so long as our population count is low?

:|

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS. Epic Games has always been, and will always be (so long as Cliffy B is there), absolutely horrendous at telling a story. When it comes to crafting a compelling, single-player experience Epic is the very definition of "talentless".

Fun, fast-paced multi-player on the other hand. Now that they do well. Exceptionally well. As such, if this is someone's "thing", then far be for anyone to try to tell you Gears is bad. Buy it and play online to your hearts content. I might even end up playing with or against you at some point. But please people, stop defending this series story. It is not good or even well told.

DTWolfwood said:
It has Color! oh my god! IT HAS COLOR!@!

too bad i no longer own an Xbox
You know, it's been hilarious too me that so many people, of whom are excited for this game, keep touting one of it's biggest changes and selling points is that...gasp!...they added another color to the usual brown and gray color palette. What's even more hilarious to me is that most people don't actually appreciate the ludicrous nature of the statement.
(btw, I'm not confronting you wolfwood. your post was just the last one I saw and it reminded me of this)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Vigormortis said:
DTWolfwood said:
It has Color! oh my god! IT HAS COLOR!@!

too bad i no longer own an Xbox
You know, it's been hilarious too me that so many people, of whom are excited for this game, keep touting one of it's biggest changes and selling points is that...gasp!...they added another color to the usual brown and gray color palette. What's even more hilarious to me is that most people don't actually appreciate the ludicrous nature of the statement.
(btw, I'm not confronting you wolfwood. your post was just the last one I saw and it reminded me of this)
Gameplays solid. Just appreciate colors more than most. Cant stand brown shooters any more >.< hence my confusion as to y Rage is getting hype.

more base on the usual Troll Reactions ;)