Gears of War 4 is Going to Let PC and Xbox One Gamers Go Head-to-Head in Ranked Matches

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Gears of War 4 is Going to Let PC and Xbox One Gamers Go Head-to-Head in Ranked Matches

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1396/1396979.jpgThe Coalition is about to let PC and Xbox One players go head-to-head in ranked competitive matches in Gears of War 4.

PC gamers and console gamers never get to play against each other. While a few games, like Gears of War 4, have allowed them to play cooperatively, the prevailing wisdom was that the super control scheme of mouse and keyboard would lead to PC players dominating their console brethren. Back in 2010, Microsoft was rumored to have killed an entire project due to the imbalance in control schemes, at least according to the founder of Voodoo PC, Rahul Sood [http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html].

But that barrier is apparently about to be broken, as The Coalition plans to bring competitive ranked cross play to Gears 4 in an upcoming patch. As mentioned above, the game has offered crossplay in social playlists for a while now. But with the move to bring crossplay to ranked, the developer will offer Xbox One players the option to take on their PC counterparts in competition for ranks in any core or competitive playlist. PC players, however, will not have the option to exclude Xbox players from their playlists.

The update that enables this change won't be out until "using input conversion devices [https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/community/news/win10-ranked] or even officially released keyboard and mouse controllers.

How will it play out in Gears 4? It's tough to say just yet, but don't be surprised if there are a lot of Xbox One players rushing to make sure that toggle is set to "Off."

[gallery=7193]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Oh this will be fun. They tried this kind of crap with that Shadowrun FPS and PC players regularly stomped the 360 players into the ground.

Hell, they're doing it now with Paragon and PS4 players routinely complain about all PC teams with Discord voice chats stomping them out on the regular. You'd think that people who develop video games would have learned by now that if your game involves aiming with a mouse on PC, competitive cross platform isn't a good idea.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I support this. Not that I really care much about GoW4.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Oh this will be fun. They tried this kind of crap with that Shadowrun FPS and PC players regularly stomped the 360 players into the ground.

Hell, they're doing it now with Paragon and PS4 players routinely complain about all PC teams with Discord voice chats stomping them out on the regular. You'd think that people who develop video games would have learned by now that if your game involves aiming with a mouse on PC, competitive cross platform isn't a good idea.
Paragon is a MOBA, and MOBA are PC oriented. Gears is more console oriented, nor is it a shooter about pinpoint precision like other shooters.

And perhaps people just like to give obvious excuses for doing bad.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I actually just uninstalled Gears 4 the other day when I realized it was taking up a whopping 118GB on my SSD. It's a good game but not one I need to have constantly available.

I personally think this is a bad idea but one that won't affect things that much. When they integrated the PC and xbox players in social matches I routinely found myself doing very well and often dominating. Maybe I just have a natural affinity for the game but I felt like the mouse really gave me an advantage. But on the other hand, there's so few people playing on PC that the odds of running into one are pretty slim.

Regardless, it'll be good for the health of the community to have more people in the pool.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...the question is, will enough people still be playing it by the time the update drops? Gears 4 is already 6 months old at this point, so if it takes, say, another 6 months to come out...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
That won't be a problem with Gears 4, thanks to the Winstore and Win10 exclusivity Gears 4 PC was dead on arrival. The competitive multiplayer was unplayable almost from release day and horde mode only functioned because it was cross platform.

Meeting a PC player in Gears 4 will be like meeting a Unicorn, even if they destroy all comers they'll be so rare it won't make them any more noticeable than bumping into a super l33t plays only this game type of player.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Saelune said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

Paragon is a MOBA, and MOBA are PC oriented. Gears is more console oriented, nor is it a shooter about pinpoint precision like other shooters.

And perhaps people just like to give obvious excuses for doing bad.
Though Gears is more console orientated, mouse based shooting>console based aim assist. Headshots are headshots. There's still a competitive edge for the PC users.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
I actually just uninstalled Gears 4 the other day when I realized it was taking up a whopping 118GB on my SSD. It's a good game but not one I need to have constantly available.

I personally think this is a bad idea but one that won't affect things that much. When they integrated the PC and xbox players in social matches I routinely found myself doing very well and often dominating. Maybe I just have a natural affinity for the game but I felt like the mouse really gave me an advantage. But on the other hand, there's so few people playing on PC that the odds of running into one are pretty slim.

Regardless, it'll be good for the health of the community to have more people in the pool.
So what you're saying is that I should go pick up Gears 4 on PC so I can feel better about my mediocre skill? :B

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
So I see two possibilities here: Either the aim assist autoaim gets cranked up to absurd levels for controller users, or the PC players will be styling all over the Xbox users' balls like every other time some genius decided to bring the middle school swim team to the shark tanks.

Vote now on your phones!

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
This is what is lacking on PS4, excluded with a multi dimension. Sony is content to release solo games that are very rarely playable in multi. In short, what is good with Xbox is their exclusive with a super long life in multi.