Gears of War has the best commercials.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Seriously, every time they release a new cinematic commercial, I just about cry tears of joy. Say whatever you want about the gameplay and the story, but damnit, these people know how to make a good commercial.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I always found their trailers to be a bit pretentious and utterly at odds with the actual games that they are supposedly representing.

They look like they were intended to advertise a story-driven game that involves themes of introspection, futility and tragedy. But the Gears of War games are gleefully violent, mentally vacant testosterone fests about a gang of overly-armoured ambulatory steaks sharing the occasional stoic grunt.

Why yes, I do very much enjoy spitefully raining on your parade.

fryzee

Aug 26, 2011
Definitely agree that the GoW3 Ashes to Ashes trailer was amazing. Watched it at least 10 times since release. NOT LONG NOW!!!

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
OT: I agree that the videos are well put together, but they really don't represent the games to me. When I play Gears, I'm not focused on the story, but the violent gameplay. Granted, I know plenty of people who play for the story, just not me.

Also, you reminded me of this.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I do love Gears trailers. Although for me, Halo does the best trailers of the lot.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
I agree completely. The cinematic and music go so well together. Everyone of them is awesome.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
They are brilliant, sure people may say "Mweh but the games are far too violent to be truly represented by the trailer" to which I say "Shush good sir, the tale of the Gears is one of strife, tragedy and desperation, yes it's played through an overly masculine filter, but that's only in the foreground, because they are the only ones who can do anything. Fascist? Sure. But maybe that's what survives when humanity falls."

Not sure why I put speech marks around myself, but I'm quite impressed with the above. But I'm going to be controversial and say Dead Island's first trailer trumps Gears.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Yeah they're good but the trailer for Gears 2 kinda failed for me.

See, the trailer was all good but at the end, the whole "XBOX 360, now $199." just killed the mood I was feeling. None the less, they are all good trailers.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dunno. Id ont even like halo, but halo 3's commercial with all the dolls (oh yeah, I did just call them dolls) tastefully organized while the mournful tune is played rather impressive.

Sep 14, 2009
i will agree that they are awesome, and i dont care that "the games are wah wah wah different and violent!"

*looks at every other trailer for every major release for the past few years*

problem?

for real though, they are pretty good, and i thought i was gonna hate them at first but i actually highly enjoy/enjoyed the games, and will probably buy gears 3 and play it on my bros xbox

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Zhukov said:
I always found their trailers to be a bit pretentious and utterly at odds with the actual games that they are supposedly representing.

They look like they were intended to advertise a story-driven game that involves themes of introspection, futility and tragedy. But the Gears of War games are gleefully violent, mentally vacant testosterone fests about a gang of overly-armoured ambulatory steaks sharing the occasional stoic grunt.
^^ Yar.

I don't dislike the trailers, I think whoever put them together has some real talent but unfortunately the trailers just are nothing at all like the final product, it reeks of manipulation and trying to get people interested in a game under false pretenses, and I really hate that.

I'm looking at you, Dead Island.

the spud

May 2, 2011
I love the first gears of war trailer the most, but the other 2 are goos as well.

A bit pretentious, but good.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Zhukov said:

Why yes, I do very much enjoy spitefully raining on your parade.
Considering there is a story that spans 3 games and 4 books, you sir, are incorrect.

OT: Yes they are epic (pun intended), each one give the sense that they are desperate and the world is in such a place that every fight, every struggle is determining the fate of what little is left of the human people

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I agree. Gears along with the Halo games have always had very epic trailers.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Zhukov said:

Considering there is a story that spans 3 games and 4 books, you sir, are incorrect.
Incorrect in what exactly? And how is the information you supplied in any way relevant?

The fact that something spans 3 games and 4 books says literally nothing about the nature or quality of the content except that there is enough of it to fill 3 games and 4 books.

Eric Staples

Aug 8, 2011
Can't say I like them either. Especially the first game. I'm not a fan of that music to begin with, but the song just has nothing to do with the game. It is kind of funny, though, watching these overly manly, steroid popping, men play out with this sensitive, sappy music in the background. Someone just wants a hug.