Gears of War: I Didn't Buy It, But I'll Try It

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Gears of War: I Didn't Buy It, But I'll Try It

A copy of Gears of War landed in my lap this morning. Either it's Shannon's subtle way of telling me to shut my yapper about not having anything to play, or somebody wants to see how far my resistance to hype really goes.

Either way, I'm willing to test my convictions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/lounge/view/65841-Gears-of-War-Im-Not-Buying-It] and play the damn thing. For science. Science!

I'll keep you informed as to the progress of my crow eating. For now entertain yourselves with this pictorial editorial on the subject of announcing patches for games that just shipped [http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12230/Gears-of-War-Patch-In-The-Works/]:

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
In a related note, there's no way I'd ever buy a 15" Macbook Pro, one of those nifty new iPods or pay off the rest of my car.

Sorry, Apple, Apple and Audi. I JUST DON'T BUY THE HYPE!

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
If you don't like GoW you are an empty soulless shell of a man.

P.S. Drop me a line if you're up for some co-op carnage. I hear it is the proverbial shizzle.

Oct 12, 2006
Don't listen to them Buck! IT'S AN AMBUSH!!!!!

It basically works out like this
Is it bad? No
Is it overrated? Yeah
Is it overhyped to the point where I wanted to drive to NYC just to shut down MTV studios because their so called Gamer's Week is setting us back five years? Yes Indeedily doodly

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Is the hype excessive? Yes
Is it the best shooter of the year anyway? You bet your sweet ass

Edit: who the hell watches MTV anymore?

Oct 12, 2006
Ian Dorsch said:
Is the hype excessive? Yes

Edit: who the hell watches MTV anymore?
Enough people to make Microsoft pay millions of dollars to have what is essentially a week long commercial for their products... And I have to deal with it because my roommates are idiots

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Ian Dorsch said:
Ian, calling it the "best shooter of the year" on the 360 is, like my imminently-quotable colleague Shannon Drake says, like calling it the hottest girl on the deserted island.

DJDM

Aug 14, 2006
Fletcher said:
Ian Dorsch said:
Ian, calling it the "best shooter of the year" on the 360 is, like my imminently-quotable colleague, Shannon Drake says, like calling it the hottest girl on the deserted island.
Oh, tell Shannon that's good.

Gears is sweet but the single player is a so short I was wondering what wrong turn I took for a time. The multi player is a little awkward at first but I was getting used to it at the end of my weekend session.

We should head over to Live up at some point and repeatedly smash "x" to crush each others heads off!

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Fletcher said:
Ian, calling it the "best shooter of the year" on the 360 is, like my imminently-quotable colleague, Shannon Drake says, like calling it the hottest girl on the deserted island.
Shannon can't be the hottest girl on ANY island till he grows back his long hair.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
DJDM said:
Gears is sweet but the single player is a so short I was wondering what wrong turn I took for a time.
What ever happened to shooters. If they are making this the be-all end-all of games ever made, doesn't one think the single player would be more than a few casual days' play? How disappointing to hear, not that it's any surprise at all. Hell, even Valve us pulling this bite-sized overpriced crap with their serial Half-Life. What a joke.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Fletcher said:
Ian, calling it the "best shooter of the year" on the 360 is, like my imminently-quotable colleague Shannon Drake says, like calling it the hottest girl on the deserted island.
Ah, touche, except I'm not calling it the best shooter of the year on 360, I'm calling it the best shooter of the year PERIOD. And I'm not alone. [http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928234.asp] Seriously, I'm a shooter whore and I play just about every half-baked shooter that comes down the pipeline. The only real competition I can think of for Gears is HL2:ep1, but that was significantly shorter, lacked co-op and offered nothing new for multiplayer. Is it perfect? No. Is it overhyped? Yes, and believe me, I understand the backlash to that. But it really is brilliantly done, and it may be the best console shooter yet.