Gears of War: I Wouldn't Buy It

Scarpy

May 10, 2008
Beery said:
Finally a reviewer has the guts to say what many of us have been thinking about this over-hyped and mediocre trailer-trash of a game. I'm still amazed that so many people still buy into the hype for this lemon so many months after its release. I guess it just goes to show how effective marketing (and subconscious homoeroticism) can be.

The only thing I don't agree with the reviewer on is the notion that Halo is any better.
That's just harsh, GOW wasn't perfect, but it wasn't trash.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Beery said:
Finally a reviewer has the guts to say what many of us have been thinking about this over-hyped and mediocre trailer-trash of a game. I'm still amazed that so many people still buy into the hype for this lemon so many months after its release. I guess it just goes to show how effective marketing (and subconscious homoeroticism) can be.
Did you ever stop to think that some people maybe do actually genuinely like the game? Just because it doesn't match your opinion doesn't make the person a gullible fool. Not everyone listens to hype you know. In fact these days it's considered cool to bash anything that *has* hype.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Apparently, acknowledging that there are things in the real world colored anything other than brown, gray and dark green would be too "unrealistic."

Meanwhile, every single surface in these so-called "realistic" games is so bloom-filled that every object, surface and everything else in the game looks like the brown and gray paint hasn't even dried yet.

paiged

May 23, 2008
I actually found the game to be pretty good, and that's surprising since all of the hype surrounding it practically had me convinced that I shouldn't buy it.

Although, I don't feel it's really hard enough - minus maybe the part where you have to drive the junker through the night and stop every couple feet to kill the kryll with the uv turret - but that wasn't so much hard as it was just plain ridiculous.

The General Raam battle though, was absolute crap, and of the five or six times I went through campaign he managed to get himself stuck somewhere along the way, making it nearly impossible for me to die (unless I was a complete moron).

The online multiplayer was fun but got old quickly - I grew tired of people constantly whining (on xbox live? Who knew?) over not being able to get the weapon they wanted, and the host quitting out of every freaking match before it was over.

Not to mention if you use any weapon but the shotgun you get a bunch of "that was cheap" in the waiting room before the next round, but you also get the same if you use the shotgun.

But I guess the latter complaints are more towards the community than the actual game.

ev219674

Dec 19, 2008
Late post is late, but...

Personally, I prefer Gears almost 1000x to Halo 3. Granted, I'm not really a big shooter or Halo fan, but I find that Gears is just a lot more fun and easier to play (for me at least, the design and function of Halo didn't do it for me).

I like the more strategic feel of the game, because for me I can't get behind something that's ridiculously fast-paced and requires you to be almost brain-dead in terms of how fast your reflexes have to be. Then again, this is all coming from someone who didn't really play shooters up until after the release of Gears and Halo 3.

Halo, I won't deny, is a good game. Not the game I would choose to play or fangirl over, but a good game with a decent story. Gears for me is also a good game, one that I enjoy a helluva lot more than Halo 3 simply because Halo 3 made me feel like too much of a noob to really enjoy it at all. Gears is the shooter I choose to fangirl over because I freaking LOVE Augustus Cole. And I find it easier to relate to super-muscled no-neck humans with some feelings than those ultra-cool Spartans.

It's apples and oranges ultimately, though. No reason you can't enjoy both unless of course you have an allergy.