Gears of War Takes Story Lessons From Pixar

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Gears of War Takes Story Lessons From Pixar

Epic Games mines Toy Story for character motivations.

The Gears of War series isn't exactly renowned for its sweeping narrative and thoughtful character development, opting instead to model guns with chainsaw bayonets. Epic Games wants to change that in its upcoming title Gears of War: Judgement by seeking help from Pixar's storytellers.

A Pixar story director paid a visit to the developer's HQ to run a one-day workshop on how to tell a good tale, according to Epic Games' producer Rod Fergusson. Staff took notes from the animation studio on how a story is conceptualized, with a focus on storyboarding techniques. Epic also learned how to develop characters from power-armored meat sacks into people that actually experience emotions like love and fear.

Fergusson uses Toy Story's protagonist Woody as an example. "Woody's motivation through all three of the Toy Story movies were about the fear of abandonment, so every movie was about that," he says. "That's something we think about now in terms of our storytelling. We think 'what are the character's motivations and how do we reinforce that? And how do we use that into our storytelling?'"

"We've been trying to improve on storytelling since we started. And this seemed like a natural way of getting a little bit of insight into how what we consider to be the best in the industry and how they tell stories and what we can learn from them."

The plot line for Gears of War has suffered criticism in the past. Dead Space's story producer Chuck Beavers be similar to Band of Brothers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116876-UPDATED-Dead-Space-Producer-Slams-Gears-of-War-Script], and that he wanted to evolve the franchise to feel more like Christopher Nolan's films.

The lessons learned from the workshop should make for refreshing changes to future narratives and a departure from repeated requests for Jack to rip that door.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-26-gears-of-war-producer-looks-to-pixar-for-guidance]

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
"The primary motivations of our characters are killin' aliens and being manly, so we made all our games about that."

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Not to insult Pixar but were they really the best fit for giving Epic advice on writing stories for M rated murder fests? Could they really not have found someone who specializes in writing military stories or just more mature* stories in general?

*Mature as in made for a mature audience rather than Pixar making a good movie that the whole family can appreciate.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Oi!, enough of this "We need a motivation for Cole before he can blast off the aliens heads" crap and get making Fortnite!

Jan 12, 2012
rhizhim said:
who else thought about this

mounted with AA guns, flak and mortars.
I didn't, but now I can't stop thinking it. BRB, off to write some fan-fiction.

OT: Well, I'm glad that they are at least trying to write a good story for their next installment. I've got no problem with the games story as it stands (more "80's action movie" than "wrenching war drama"), but for a series that has such an impact not just on game development, but on how people perceive "hardcore" gamers, a good story can only help.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Wouldn't getting help from a sci-fi writer be better instead? Character development is good but if the characters feel out of context, there isn't much point is there?

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I always got the idea that Gears tried to tell a story but got interrupted by gunfire every time it started a sentence.

disappointing, but I still rather enjoyed the game, eager to see if and how they will improve.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im not sure Pixar characters would make great role models for gruff military badasses trapped in a chest-high-walls simulator.

Just an idle thought.

Sennune

Apr 15, 2009
While Pixar does family oriented films, the mechanics for drafting a creative and appealing story can transcend genre. It seems like Epic was not trying to get advice on how to do Gears or any of their IPs better, but how to rework the framework of future narratives by letting the stories and their characters blend together into something more compelling for the player, which is something Pixar does very well.

I'm glad Epic is looking outside themselves for inspiration and help to make future games even better.