Geek Eats: Junk Food Edition

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I can honestly say that they ALL sound good. Especially the Isotope dog. I've always wanted to try it, since I was young. Just never thought to or even knew how to make it. Then there's the Millenium Falcon Burger... that's something I might make for New Years! Thanks for the recipes!

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
Can't recall where I saw this but a television chef made what he called the world's deadliest hamburger. It included breaded deep-fried bacon, deep-fried mayo, and ketchup with the consistency of jello that had been sliced <yes, sliced ketchup> to fit the burger itself, which was 3/4 of a pound. Only slightly deadlier than Scott Pilgrim's sandwich though. :)

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Damnit people, now I'm hungry. D:

That burger and maybe the hotdog sound like really good picks to me at least.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
The Imp said:
So...much...greasy...fat. *pukes*
You say that with the Kotick as your avatar? Wow, hypocrisy at its finest...

Can I suggest:

One Pork Tenderloin Steak
As much Saint Ague blue cheese as you want.
1/2 an onion
1/2 a baguette
Butter

Fry the Tenderloin to your preference, then follow up by slicing the onion to your liking, and then frying it. Toast the baguette while doing this, and then butter it while the baguette is hot. Once the butter has melted, place the still-hot Tenderloin inside the baguette, apply onion and place the Saint Ague on top of the onions and Tenderloin. Leave it to stand as long as the cheese takes to melt, and then eat while still hot. Omnomnom...

- Edit -

Strife2k7 said:
Can't recall where I saw this but a television chef made what he called the world's deadliest hamburger. It included breaded deep-fried bacon, deep-fried mayo, and ketchup with the consistency of jello that had been sliced <yes, sliced ketchup> to fit the burger itself, which was 3/4 of a pound. Only slightly deadlier than Scott Pilgrim's sandwich though. :)

MAN COOKING!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!!

You reminded me of this =]

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
KaosuHamoni said:

MAN COOKING!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!!

You reminded me of this =]
I think I love you. Not you, I mean, I'm talking to the burger.

Also, I love this article. I think it's a great idea to give a sort of cookbook of geek references that are also delicious food.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
All the LRR man cooking episodes are great. I'm partial to this one though.

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/410/Man-Cooking-Swiss-Meat-Roll

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
It is faster, better tasting, generally more convenient, and all-around geekier to cook bacon in the microwave. Put 4 slices on a dinner plate and cook on high for six minutes. Adjust cooking time for bacon thickness and desired level of crispyness. After cooking dry on paper towels for a few minutes. Try this once and you will never go back to the pan again.

I think an interesting topic along similar lines would be MMO food. For example, while playing WoW I learned that when everything else is gone, after the hot pockets and after the left overs from pot lucks at work, you won't go hungry as long as you have rice and peanut butter around.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Fearzone said:
It is faster, better tasting, generally more convenient, and all-around geekier to cook bacon in the microwave. Put 4 slices on a dinner plate and cook on high for six minutes. Adjust cooking time for bacon thickness and desired level of crispyness. After cooking dry on paper towels for a few minutes. Try this once and you will never go back to the pan again.
Paper towels are microwave safe, so you could just skip the last step by microwaving the bacon in between layers of paper towels.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Fearzone said:
Paper towels are microwave safe, so you could just skip the last step by microwaving the bacon in between layers of paper towels.
A LOT of fat gets rendered so I'd advise against that. I considered it at first but I think you'll just end up with a messy microwave, and I bet the paper towels stick to the bacon. I'll add one tip for cleanup: let the fat cool and congeal on the plate, put dish soap and cold water over it, cross-hatch the congealed fat with a fork to expose more surface area to the soapy water, let it soak a couple minutes, then the "squares" of fat wash off the plate and down the drain easily.

beniki

May 28, 2009
In the spirit of one-up-manship, I remember seeing a photo recipe a few years ago on the net for a giant bacon burger.

Simple stuff, just make an enormous burger paddy out of about 2Kg of mince beef and a sack full of onions, top with 3 or 5 packs of bacon, and use two pizzas for the bun.

Here's my own extra special burger idea though: cube up some mozerella. Make two thinner than normal burgers and simply put some of the mozeralla in between the two, and grill up as normal. Up to you for the arrangement of cheese, but you should leave a fair bit of space between the edge of the burger and the mozerella. Saves you losing cheese in he grill.

And if you're looking for a nice sweet sandwich, try banana, vermicelli chocoalte and grated cheese, all grilled up. Use a milder cheese though, and a darker chocolate. Extra butter if you want to give yourself a heart attack, and use a crumpet instead of bread if you've had a lousy day.

Feb 13, 2008
Bacon sandwich is good.

Little lick of mustard or splash of tabasco is better.

Slice of turkey with the bacon for the all time high.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
All of these sound good, if not excessive, but as a Louisiana native it hurts to see a fried shrimp recipe in here done so wrong. When you fry shrimp you always peel and devein, If you don't know it's actually feces, so always devein, but you also need to leave the last strip of shell attached to the tail on for a convenient grip and a crunchy chip if your adventurous enough. Then make an egg wash (Just one egg to a small bowl of water or milk) and dredge them only once in mixture of sifted flour, salt and pepper, and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. (If your not in Louisiana and have anything "Cajun" flavored, It's just Tony's. It's Louisiana's version of Old Bay, but I can promise you there is just no comparison.) When you add the Panko and double batter it, you end up only tasting bread when you should be enjoying the shrimp. Fry it up golden brown and thank me later.