Geek Remix: Proof Mass Effect & Dragon Age Share a Universe?

Geek Remix

Nov 25, 2015
Proof Mass Effect & Dragon Age Share a Universe?

Is the connection between Mass Effect and Dragon Age more than just Easter eggs?

Watch Video

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
The whole point of the size of moon in Dragon Age seems vastly over-interpreted to me: the size of the moon and/or the sun is almost always hugely exaggerated in games. Just look at the size of the moon in GTA V.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Janichsan said:
The whole point of the size of moon in Dragon Age seems vastly over-interpreted to me: the size of the moon and/or the sun is almost always hugely exaggerated in games. Just look at the size of the moon in GTA V.
GTA takes place in some sort of Eldritch planet where physics don't make sense and everyone seems to be controlled by some sort of star based overmind. It's a david lynch nightmare of a gamer's labido.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Janichsan said:
Well yeah, if you want to be boring.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well its funny. Star Wars and Warhammer 40k are all in the Mass Effect universe too.

See, Star Wars takes place a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. So there's no reason to see any overlap between Mass Effect and Star Wars, because the events of Star Wars have already taken place on the other side of the Universe. Ergo, they share the same universe, they just never meet or have anything to do with one-another.

Now Warhammer 40k takes place 40 thousand years in the future, maybe closer to 38, but whose counting. See with the Reapers gone, the Cycle is broken. And who here remembers their early 40k lore? During the Golden Age of Expansion, humanity traveled the stars, eradicated tons of races and created a race of AI slaves known as the Stone Men.
The Stone Men revolted and humanity was forced to destroy them in a centuries long war. Sound like something the Reapers warned us about, no?
Logically we can assume after the Reaper War, Humanity eradicated the Asari, Krogan, Turians and the others, circa 25,000 ADE. And with the Reapers gone, there's nothing to stop the Orks from coming onto the Galactic stage and fuck it, the Eldar were in self-imposed exile in the WebWay when the Reapers were about and they come back at some point. And we already know Daemons and Dark Gods exist in Mass Effect, because Dragon Age also happened. So that clears up the Warp, don't it?

Then another 20,000 years later Warhammer 40k happens.

It all makes complete sense!

Zjarcal

Jan 11, 2010
I've actually considered the possibility of the two games sharing a universe, and while I doubt it's really the case, this video sure gives a compelling case for it.

It's fun to think about it at least.

Had to laugh at the bits with Solas breaking your heart btw. =P

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Silentpony said:
Well its funny. Star Wars and Warhammer 40k are all in the Mass Effect universe too.

See, Star Wars takes place a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. So there's no reason to see any overlap between Mass Effect and Star Wars, because the events of Star Wars have already taken place on the other side of the Universe. Ergo, they share the same universe, they just never meet or have anything to do with one-another.

Now Warhammer 40k takes place 40 thousand years in the future, maybe closer to 38, but whose counting. See with the Reapers gone, the Cycle is broken. And who here remembers their early 40k lore? During the Golden Age of Expansion, humanity traveled the stars, eradicated tons of races and created a race of AI slaves known as the Stone Men.
The Stone Men revolted and humanity was forced to destroy them in a centuries long war. Sound like something the Reapers warned us about, no?
Logically we can assume after the Reaper War, Humanity eradicated the Asari, Krogan, Turians and the others, circa 25,000 ADE. And with the Reapers gone, there's nothing to stop the Orks from coming onto the Galactic stage and fuck it, the Eldar were in self-imposed exile in the WebWay when the Reapers were about and they come back at some point. And we already know Daemons and Dark Gods exist in Mass Effect, because Dragon Age also happened. So that clears up the Warp, don't it?

Then another 20,000 years later Warhammer 40k happens.

It all makes complete sense!
Good argument, actually - but it doesn't confront the issue where humanity has decided to forego energy weapons and seem to have regressed a little bit in terms of the efficiency of space travel.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Silentpony said:

*snip*
I thought you were going to point out some easter eggs :(

Interestingly enough, Mass Effect was bioware's way (Case Hudson's) to make more mass effect. After finishing KOTOR, they starting working on building the world of Mass Effect. Biotics are supposed to be like the force. And a lot of the architecture from the first game is heavily influenced by starwars. Specters are supposed to be kinda like Jedi Knights.

As for Warhammer 40k, there are plenty of fan theories as to how they are related to certain things.

Many people believe that Event Horizon is the official beginning to the Warhammer 40k universe. And that Event Horizon is linked to the Cenobite mythology of Hellraiser. Even though it's probably not actually true, the lores between all those universes do link up.

Anyway it's fun to do those things. All fiction is filled with tropes. And because of that, authors will always accidentally link their works to other similar works. it's fun to find those unintentional links.

Zjarcal said:
I've actually considered the possibility of the two games sharing a universe, and while I doubt it's really the case, this video sure gives a compelling case for it.

There is no pain more bitter than when a video game character, who is designed to fulfill your unrealistic romantic fantasies, rejects you. And also believes you are actually the person who is not real.

It's ironic that Solas is the one who thinks the Inquisitor is not actually real. To him, she is only as real as we in the real world perceive him to be. We may be attached to solas. But we would not hesitate to delete DA:I off our hard drive if we needed to fix our PC.

Solas sees us as little Sims from The Sims. And one day one of the times looked up and said "hey, you're pretty cute".

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Thyunda said:
Good argument, actually - but it doesn't confront the issue where humanity has decided to forego energy weapons and seem to have regressed a little bit in terms of the efficiency of space travel.
Actually during the Dark Age of Technology, circa 25k-32k, humanity regresses hardcore. Loses most of its technology, all contact with all human colonies outside the Sol system is lost, and tens of billions die to civil wars, alien raiders and isolated demonic invasions.

So maybe during those dark days most of the mass effect technology is lost, including the Relays which lets say daemons are using as entry points into Real space from the outer dimensions.

Zjarcal

Jan 11, 2010
geekremix_Mari said:
Zjarcal said:

There is no pain more bitter than when a video game character, who is designed to fulfill your unrealistic romantic fantasies, rejects you. And also believes you are actually the person who is not real.

It's ironic that Solas is the one who thinks the Inquisitor is not actually real. To him, she is only as real as we in the real world perceive him to be. We may be attached to solas. But we would not hesitate to delete DA:I off our hard drive if we needed to fix our PC.

Solas sees us as little Sims from The Sims. And one day one of the times looked up and said "hey, you're pretty cute".
Video game romance heartbreak is serious business, that's for sure.

Assuming the games do share a universe and considering Solas was basically a godlike entity, what if the dread wolf is still around... >.>

TP Potato

May 8, 2015
I'm all for crazy game theories, but I find it difficult to go along with this one.

- The idea that the Krogan head easter eggs are from a failed scouting party is an interesting idea. The only problem is, as you said, the only time this could have happened was at the height of Krogan expansion, when their numbers had never been higher. Sure, while more civilized groups might break off contact like the council and Protheans (assuming they didn't want to just enslave them), I think the Krogans would have just sent troops in or dropped asteroids, as there wasn't a war/genophage to consider at that time.

- I'm not sure the Solas idea works either, though I think that for more cynical reasons. Dragon Age isn't a trilogy, we actually have no idea when this series will end. This leaves me skeptical that Bioware would allow Solas to succeed with his plans in future games and deprive themselves of future titles (there's still a lot of Thedas we haven't seen). I guess it's possible they might do it eventually, but in my opinion that kind of ending would run too close in tone to the ME3 ending; I'm not sure Bioware wants to deal with something like that again.

While I disagree with the theory I agree that this was really fun to think about.

P.S. Sorry about Solas. I romanced Sera, and she threatened to break up with me if I didn't agree with her views on religion. Doesn't compare with trying to destroy the world, but it still aggravates me even now.lol

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
TP Potato said:
I'm all for crazy game theories, but I find it difficult to go along with this one.

- The idea that the Krogan head easter eggs are from a failed scouting party is an interesting idea. The only problem is, as you said, the only time this could have happened was at the height of Krogan expansion, when their numbers had never been higher. Sure, while more civilized groups might break off contact like the council and Protheans (assuming they didn't want to just enslave them), I think the Krogans would have just sent troops in or dropped asteroids, as there wasn't a war/genophage to consider at that time.

- I'm not sure the Solas idea works either, though I think that for more cynical reasons. Dragon Age isn't a trilogy, we actually have no idea when this series will end. This leaves me skeptical that Bioware would allow Solas to succeed with his plans in future games and deprive themselves of future titles (there's still a lot of Thedas we haven't seen). I guess it's possible they might do it eventually, but in my opinion that kind of ending would run too close in tone to the ME3 ending; I'm not sure Bioware wants to deal with something like that again.

While I disagree with the theory I agree that this was really fun to think about.

P.S. Sorry about Solas. I romanced Sera, and she threatened to break up with me if I didn't agree with her views on religion. Doesn't compare with trying to destroy the world, but it still aggravates me even now.lol
Why would they send troops if it was just a scouting party. The krogan are not stupid, they were simply uplifted too soon. They understand the concept of resources. And troops or sending in an asteroid is a complete waste of resources for a scouting party. Asteroids are not just easy to re route. You're thinking of it from a perspective of infinite resources that would be poorly allocated by a terrible system. No one would do that.

it goes Scouting Party --> Send in colonizers if it is clear ---- colonize

Not "blow everything up with our limited resources that are spread thin via fast expansion"

On the second part, Solas has never succeeded in any of his plans. Ever. Every single plan has backfired on him in a huge way. Ripping the world apart was bad. helping andraste was bad. And putting the world back together will result in something he did not expect. It will end bad for him, and great for everyone else. As usual.

Even if that means changing the world of thedas.

TP Potato

May 8, 2015
geekremix_Mari said:
TP Potato said:

Why would they send troops if it was just a scouting party. The krogan are not stupid, they were simply uplifted too soon. They understand the concept of resources. And troops or sending in an asteroid is a complete waste of resources for a scouting party. Asteroids are not just easy to re route. You're thinking of it from a perspective of infinite resources that would be poorly allocated by a terrible system. No one would do that.

it goes Scouting Party --> Send in colonizers if it is clear ---- colonize

Not "blow everything up with our limited resources that are spread thin via fast expansion"

On the second part, Solas has never succeeded in any of his plans. Ever. Every single plan has backfired on him in a huge way. Ripping the world apart was bad. helping andraste was bad. And putting the world back together will result in something he did not expect. It will end bad for him, and great for everyone else. As usual.

Even if that means changing the world of thedas.

I guess the Krogan thing is just a difference in opinion, as I don't think the Krogan are very smart, with some obvious exceptions for a couple of main Krogan characters in the series. I know there's plenty of points arguing both ways, which is what makes that ME3 genophage questline so great, but I'm of the opinion that they're dumb and dangerous. Obviously I'm in the minority though as I think only 8% of people were with me in not curing the genophage.

I agree that Solas fails with all his plans. What I mean by "success" was him successfully tearing down the veil and wiping out the world of Thedas to try and start from scratch again. Sorry about that, I should have been clearer.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
As far as the moon comparison goes, one could just as easily claim (possibly moreso) that Thedas is a continent on a super-Earth with a larger sized moon, such as Ganymede, or maybe even as large as Mars (possible due to Klendagon being a picture of Mars, with the Valles Marineris being plainly visible). Not to mention that Presrop has a synchronous rotation. For every revolution around Klendagon (10.8 Earth days) Presrop will have a single rotation, causing it to have a day/night cycle of 5.4 days. It's much more likely that the moon that appears in Dragon Age is just reused from Mass Effect. If one also goes off the assumption that Thedas has air comparable to our own then where did it go? Presrop has both an incredibly thin atmosphere and one that is composed of Carbon Dioxide and Ethane. Ethane has a larger molar mass than air, so if Presrop is massive enough to hold ethane in its atmosphere, it would also be massive enough to hold air. A thin atmosphere would also make it impossible have liquid water, since any greenhouse effect would be negligible. The ancient disaster could also easily have been a major collision with another massive body.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Wait what , the dragon age codex is different for each race !!! Why did i not know this!

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Klendragon is huge when viewed from the moon. much larger than when you view the moon on thedas

its probably more likely if assuming they share the same universe you have a protected or unknown world further out from klendragon thats left off charts. shifted to another dimension maybe? and as for the krogan either easter egg or possibly landed from escape pods, the ogre statue/creature shows it was visited at least once and people got off world

count the taint of dragon age be reaper based? makes no sense considering reapers dont touch worlds like that

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Okay, am I the only one who finds "Hey, these two absolutely incompatible settings by the same company could be connected" theories incredibly annoying and unfunny? I like my theories as much as the next geek, but that's just stupid.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Silentpony said:
Eh, Dragon Age being in Warhammer is pretty easy to believe. The Fade from DA is pretty much the Warp from WH. I guess the latter is a bit more hospitable but still - the two share a lot in common.