Geek Remix: Proof Mass Effect & Dragon Age Share a Universe?

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
It's a nice video. It could be added to the videos argument that the council are keeping the secret of Presop once supporting life a secret because there were clearly humans living on it.

Perhaps at some point in our past a race transplanted different races, including humanity, to Presop to see what would happen.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Joxer said:
Long time lurker here, popping in as I just couldn't walk past this one too.

First to say, I'm not surprised deeing this junk on a site that crowned Dragon Age 2 with perfect 10/10 score then refused to make TW3 review probably because after 10/10 to DA2 it's impossible to give anything else a reasonable score.

*snip*

In the end...
Dear Escapist, how much you got paid by EA to advertise Mass Effect DLC?
In fact, isn't your "proof" article yet another proof that you belong to EA?
I'm a freelance contractor.

It is unfair to be mean to me because you think this website wronged you in some way. I chose to do this video on my own and the escapist did not prompt me to do a topic. I pick my own video ideas, write them and make them, and send them to the escapist and they post them.

There is no part in which they give me a prompt or specific request. I was just hired like 3 weeks ago.

If you think there is a conspiracy to put Bioware content on this website, then you're wrong. I just like bioware games because I get to be gay in them.

Zjarcal

Jan 11, 2010
Joxer said:
In the end...
This post is lulz for many reasons, but realistically speaking, if EA were to pay for anything, they would be more interested in promoting recent stuff, not y'know, several years old dlc.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Silentpony said:
Thyunda said:
Good argument, actually - but it doesn't confront the issue where humanity has decided to forego energy weapons and seem to have regressed a little bit in terms of the efficiency of space travel.
Actually during the Dark Age of Technology, circa 25k-32k, humanity regresses hardcore. Loses most of its technology, all contact with all human colonies outside the Sol system is lost, and tens of billions die to civil wars, alien raiders and isolated demonic invasions.

So maybe during those dark days most of the mass effect technology is lost, including the Relays which lets say daemons are using as entry points into Real space from the outer dimensions.
I am satisfied with this.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Halyah said:
Silentpony said:
I though it was "Men of Iron/Iron Men" that they were called?
Just checked on that. We're both right, but you're more right than I am. Indeed during the Great Expansion, it was the Iron Men/Men of Iron that humanity built and eventually destroyed.
But in one of the Horus Heresy books, Captain Garviel Loken recalls a war he fought against robots called the Stone Men, that they later learned were hold-overs from the Iron Men.
So I just got my names confused within the timeline.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Joxer said:

First to say, I'm not surprised deeing this junk on a site that crowned Dragon Age 2 with perfect 10/10 score then refused to make TW3 review probably because after 10/10 to DA2 it's impossible to give anything else a reasonable score.

1. A game is not DLC. Nor is DLC a game. A game is a game. DLC is DLC.

2. Moon and art is a proof that an artist is talented or not talented. Putting an art of a planet/moon as a proof of anything is pathetic.

3. Yes, Dragon Age does share the same universe with something. But that somethng is not Mass Effect. That something is DLC. Dragon Age does not share the same universe with Mass Effect. Never did. Dragon Age shares the same universe with Mass Effect DLC.

4. Mass Effect DLC is not a game. That DLC is not even the same product category as the parent game. One can't buy Mass Effect DLC with proper cash but has to use taxfree money laundry scheme so-called Bioware Points.

In the end...
Maybe keep being a long-time lurker - this post doesn't actually make any sense. Does DLC not exist in the same universe as the main game? Does that mean that when you begin a DLC mission you do a hard reset on everything that happened up to that point? Or that it creates a divergent timeline? But what about when there are lines of dialogue referencing DLC in other games? Like in Mass Effect 2 a character references the time terrorists hijacked a meteor to take out a colony. That's DLC for the first game. Are you saying that that particular character was a transdimensional visitor who entered the main universe purely to say that?

Your fourth point is utterly bizarre, too, because I paid for my DLC with money. I've never even heard of Bioware points. And your second point makes even less sense than all the others - if the same asset is used twice within the same IP, one can generally assume the two occurrences of that asset are connected. If that asset exists in two separate IPs, one can either call it an easter egg, lazy recycling or evidence of connection. The whole point of this video was to draw together the various reused assets or possible references and put them together to back up an opinion - that opinion being that the two universes are the same.

Did BioWare steal your girlfriend? Or buy out your start-up? Do they hang around drinking cheap lager outside your house and play trap music all night? I'm not sure I understand your grudge, dude.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Joxer said:

-snip-
Perhaps you should go back to lurking, and if you HAVE been a 'long-time lurker', then perhaps you'd have noticed the multiple articles and videos that are Extreeeeemely critical of EA that this site has published in the past? You also don't seem to understand how the Escapist came by Geek Remix. Hell, they also post Wisecrack content as well, but they sure as shit don't own them or pick their topics.

OT: I would have to say first of all that I don't really agree with the video's topic. I feel like the moon is the only really solid connection to be had, but that's still pretty vague, considering it isn't unheard of for video game artists to reuse assets. It's a fun theory, but I just am not convinced that there is enough evidence to support it. Everything else across both games well and truly seems like they're just Easter Eggs.

Also, I'm miiiiiildly annoyed that there aren't spoiler tags attached to this video. I mean sure, it's my fault for looking at deep-searching videos like these that are trying to prove a vague connection like this, especially since I haven't been able to snag the Trespassers DLC yet, but Solas and his motivations are kind of the biggest spoiler there is for Inquisition. But maybe the actual YouTube video has a warning in the description where this one doesn't.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
geekremix_Mari said:
Joxer said:

*snip*

In the end...

It is unfair to be mean to me because you think this website wronged you in some way. I chose to do this video on my own and the escapist did not prompt me to do a topic. I pick my own video ideas, write them and make them, and send them to the escapist and they post them.

There is no part in which they give me a prompt or specific request. I was just hired like 3 weeks ago.

If you think there is a conspiracy to put Bioware content on this website, then you're wrong. I just like bioware games because I get to be gay in them.
I can't believe that it's been something like 5 years and people are still up in arms about that 5/5 score.

Jeez, never slight a nerd...

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
RealRT said:
Okay, am I the only one who finds "Hey, these two absolutely incompatible settings by the same company could be connected" theories incredibly annoying and unfunny? I like my theories as much as the next geek, but that's just stupid.
Not the only one. This was all fan theory and the only actual "connections" were really only two Easter eggs, the rest were ALL conjecture. There was so little of this based on facts that it made it rather uninteresting.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
cricket chirps said:
RealRT said:
Okay, am I the only one who finds "Hey, these two absolutely incompatible settings by the same company could be connected" theories incredibly annoying and unfunny? I like my theories as much as the next geek, but that's just stupid.
Not the only one. This was all fan theory and the only actual "connections" were really only two Easter eggs, the rest were ALL conjecture. There was so little of this based on facts that it made it rather uninteresting.
The name of the series is called "Fan Theory"

I don't understand why everyone comes here and gets disappointed that my series called "Fan Theory" is indeed a series of Fan Theories.

Joxer

Dec 11, 2015
geekremix_Mari said:
Joxer said:

*snip*

In the end...

Eh?
I assume you're the authour of the video then?

Okay, lemme jump on your wagon a bit. Since the theory was stretched to visual art, and you claim being a fan (look, I'm Mass Effect #1 fan so...), how come you "forgot" to mention another common denominator: Inquisition?
Because there is Dragon Age: Inquisition, but there is also Mass Effect: Inquisition
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-10-25-masseffect25_ST_N.htm

I don't believe there is specifically Bioware conspiracy on this site.
I believe there is EA conspiracy on this site.
Shall I make a video with articles "proof" and pass it to Escapist? I'm pretty sure it'd born one of the longest forum threads in Escapist's history, perfect to get some clicks. ;)

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Joxer said:
geekremix_Mari said:
Joxer said:

*snip*

In the end...

Eh?
I assume you're the authour of the video then?

Okay, lemme jump on your wagon a bit. Since the theory was stretched to visual art, and you claim being a fan (look, I'm Mass Effect #1 fan so...), how come you "forgot" to mention another common denominator: Inquisition?
Because there is Dragon Age: Inquisition, but there is also Mass Effect: Inquisition
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-10-25-masseffect25_ST_N.htm

I don't believe there is specifically Bioware conspiracy on this site.
I believe there is EA conspiracy on this site.
Shall I make a video with articles "proof" and pass it to Escapist? I'm pretty sure it'd born one of the longest forum threads in Escapist's history, perfect to get some clicks. ;)
What?

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
geekremix_Mari said:
cricket chirps said:
RealRT said:
The name of the series is called "Fan Theory"

I don't understand why everyone comes here and gets disappointed that my series called "Fan Theory" is indeed a series of Fan Theories.
While i will walk away from this conversation and admit some fault, that it is totally fine to make videos about fan theory. Nowhere on the page does it say "Fan Theory", or the link to the video. It is titled "Geek Remix" and is talking about game connections. I clicked and watched with that expectation in mind, that there were actual definitive connections and was interested in what they were.

May want to actually add the "fan theory" or "Geek Remix does Fan theory" as a part of the title. Otherwise you should expect this to be a reaction to your videos as to some, like me, they are not what was expected and desired.

Sincerely hope this helps clear up my end of the confusion.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I hate shared universes, so no. Plus there isn't a shred of explanation why magic and the veil would work in the Mass Effect universe the way they do in Dragon Age, nor should there be.

At least games like Endless Legend / Endless Space keep a consistent theme throughout the games (dust). If the developers didn't do that, why assume that the games share universes?

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah I don't think so. Things like this do better as easter eggs as opposed to connections especially where magic and sci-fi are involved. It's like the pokemon war thing, you end up having to blind yourself in a lot of ways to make things work out. Like how did a medieval society manage to best krogan warriors and the thousand questions that follow that answer. Being the moon of a planet brings up a host of astronomical problems. Does magic only exist on the dragon age planet?

Problems.

PS i would guess the Asari are ok with the female pronouns because they understand since their gender scheme doesn't exist in humans they understand that humans just want a word that refers to a person quickly.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Zacharious-khan said:
Like how did a medieval society manage to best krogan warriors
Well, since the medieval society was basically forged in combat against dragons, darkspawn and daemons, krogan warriors are piss.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Thyunda said:
Well, since the medieval society was basically forged in combat against dragons, darkspawn and daemons, krogan warriors are piss.
It's not about battle experience, its about the technology. A space faring society should have no problem annihilating them. From miles away or from orbit if necessary.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Zacharious-khan said:
Thyunda said:
It's not about battle experience, its about the technology. A space faring society should have no problem annihilating them. From miles away or from orbit if necessary.
Not if it's a scouting party with space weapons from 1300 years ago. Also, you're all forgetting that the people of thedas also have magic. And magic that can be used by non magic users (alchemy). And dragons. And demons they can summon.